Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2009, 20:31   #121
Resting in Peace

Re: Prince Harry accused of racism

It's OK Westender .. love accents too.

Would have thought bo-uk was more North East though .. gosh, difficult to put across on text isn't it ? Time we got some kind of sound link up on here .. is that possible I wonder ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-01-2009, 20:33   #122
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Would have thought bo-uk was more North East though .. gosh, difficult to put across on text isn't it ? Time we got some kind of sound link up on here .. is that possible I wonder ?
Sod off......Ear bashing from one female is enough, thankyou very much.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 21:09   #123

[quote=Sara;669194]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie View Post
I am not being ignorant but I don`t know what PC brigade means I can only guess it means (Pakistani Council)
[/quote

PC means Political Correctness
Thanks Sara
Gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 21:12   #124
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:

My brother has a cine film, from about 1974, of me and my older children in my parents' back garden in Blackburn. I lived in Durham City at the time and my very Geordie-sounding 9 year old son says something to which I (who, of course, don't have an accent as far as I'm concerned ) reply, "Go to Uncle Tony", pronouncing it as a very Geordie "Torny" and sounding like a born and bred Durhamite.
Old 14-01-2009, 21:19   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Hey, I'm Lancashire folk too you know.

Perhaps I made the error of putting in slightly misleading vowels to illustrate the point. OK, for the sake of nitpicking, let's say boooook, loooook and coooook - with the double O as in "hoof".

West Yorkshire has a more "downwardly" pronounced double O, more like bo-uk. It's hard to transcribe without the phonetic pronunciation alphabet on my keyboard.

I love accents, have studied them (and spoken them) all my life, and I can differentiate some accents to within a few miles, especially near the places I've lived - Lancs, Rutland, Brum, Coventry, Yorks, Durham and now Cheshire - in that order.

Now, no more thread hijacking.
Why not say pass me the cuck buck and luck at that cuck burning sausages,got to go the buzz is due
Old 14-01-2009, 21:23   #126
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Why not say pass me the cuck buck and luck at that cuck burning sausages,
I do.
Old 14-01-2009, 21:29   #127
God Member

Quote:
Why not say pass me the cuck buck and luck at that cuck burning sausages,got to go the buzz is due
What a load of Gollocks.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 21:34   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
What a load of Gollocks.
Well if thats the case why dont you try one of these up your kilt
Old 14-01-2009, 22:36   #129
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Has language evolved that much in Oswaldtwistle then? Time was when soot was pronounced the same as suit and a book was a bewk that you could lewk at while you were cewking.
I've never heard anyone in Ossy, young or old, pronounce soot like suit. To the best of my knowledge that only starts south of Darwen, towards Bolton and Wigan.

Around here it's always pronounced sutt, as in butt.

Someone with a nice tan was described as being as 'black as fire back'. Which I suppose meant their complexion was a bit sooty.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 22:44   #130
Passed away 25-11-09

Honest to God, they did when I was young. I was friendly (in a mutually hating sort of way ) with a local chimney sweep's son and we used to call him Sooty (pronounced Suity) because we were obnoxious - as most 10 year old girls are.
Old 14-01-2009, 22:58   #131
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Honest to God, they did when I was young. I was friendly (in a mutually hating sort of way ) with a local chimney sweep's son and we used to call him Sooty (pronounced Suity) because we were obnoxious - as most 10 year old girls are.
I think you had your own little 'suity' enclave over in the West End.

Everyone I know, even the old time Gobbiners, say 'sutt'.

Perhaps we should have a poll.

I could run a sweep stake.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 09:50   #132
Resting in Peace

[quote=Sara;669194]
Quote:
I am not being ignorant but I don`t know what PC brigade means I can only guess it means (Pakistani Council)
[/quote

PC means Political Correctness
Sara don't ever think that Gordie didn't know what PC meant, he has is own agenda when it comes to our Commonwealth Brethren
Old 15-01-2009, 10:02   #133
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Short bulletin on local news that the Producers of Coronation Street omitted the crucifix on the wedding scene in order not to offend other groups !!!!!

Am an atheist, but respect all people to follow what they wish to believe in, and authenticity in drama is essential.

They have bloody aplogised .. should think so to.. pratts

This type of PC is stimulating my racist brain cells big time !
When I saw that kate I had to stop and think of the logic behind this action, your filming a wedding in a Church (don't know whether it was a
C of E or RC but they got £4500 for a location fee, which they are using to buy a new cross) Well in every church I've been in there as been a cross, its part of the Church thing, if they wanted to be touchy why didn't they just have there ceremony at Registry Office or a civil building. If your using a church then portray it right or keep the hell out. Whoever came up with this clap trap should be another statistic on the job lose front
Old 15-01-2009, 10:19   #134
Resting in Peace

Found a link Jaysay, they actually hid it not remove it :

Cross 'offensive', says Corrie - News - Manchester Evening News

It's just that sometimes, it's attitudes like this make you more angry towards other groups, which isn't really fair on them I know.

Just like the Harry thing .. some spokespeople making a situation worse than what it was.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 11:24   #135
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Found a link Jaysay, they actually hid it not remove it :

Cross 'offensive', says Corrie - News - Manchester Evening News

It's just that sometimes, it's attitudes like this make you more angry towards other groups, which isn't really fair on them I know.

Just like the Harry thing .. some spokespeople making a situation worse than what it was.
Well, the thing with Harry is worrying really in as much as that somebody who obviously Harry classed as a friend and comrade sold him down the river for 30 pieces of silver, that's what would bother me more than anything if I was on active service, knowing that a person, who is supposed to be watching your back, has actually stabbed him in the back in that way just to make a few quid

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..