Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 16:08   #1
God Member

Privacy

I've started a new thread about this so that no names are mentioned. I'm always wary about threads that ask about holidays or if anyone is away at the moment etc.

I know a lot of people use user names but some of us don't. Even so I reckon most people could be traceable.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-09-2008, 17:28   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Privacy

Some people are easy. With the advent of all these social networking sites people appear less bothered than ever about plastering their details all over the internet.

As far as for talking about someone being on holiday it is just daft.
Old 08-09-2008, 17:39   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Some people are easy. With the advent of all these social networking sites people appear less bothered than ever about plastering their details all over the internet.

As far as for talking about someone being on holiday it is just daft.
Your action obviously caused concern to the lady members involved.
Perhaps it would have been wise to explain your motive in doing that and advise them how you did it, with a recommendation that they remove some info from their social networking pages.

Instead you mischievously let them worry about your motive.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 17:43   #4
God Member

Something which had never occured to me until a few years ago when my Dad died , I set up with the undertaker to put the details in the local paper about the funeral , when I asked him why there were no details of my Dads address , was told that they didn't do that anymore because the scum would know when the house would be empty and come and rob it during the time of the Funeral ..........animals
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 17:58   #5
Give, give, give member

I know people are only showing concern, and being kind, but it crosses my mind if the threads asking where people are, are read by any local cat burglars.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 18:36   #6
Super Moderator

Right, well I've asked Mick to deleted the "offending" thread (which he kindly has done) and I won't be enquiring about anybody's whereabouts again!

And I'm not getting into any arguments with Neil, in case he comes round and beats me up!
Old 08-09-2008, 18:39   #7

Burglars also used to ring homephone numbers to see if there was anything on the answering machine. Also they use junk emails to get back "out of office " messages and trace people back to their homes to see if they are on holiday.

It may all sound "daft" but burglars dont need to take risks of breaking in when you are there that much, they much prefer empty houses.
Old 08-09-2008, 18:40   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Right, well I've asked Mick to deleted the "offending" thread (which he kindly has done) and I won't be enquiring about anybody's whereabouts again!

And I'm not getting into any arguments with Neil, in case he comes round and beats me up!
dont let it stop ya bothering wyn, ya can always pm someone if yer concerned, i did this week.
Old 08-09-2008, 18:41   #9
Senior Member+

Neil actually helped me out, when i signed up with bt i asked to be exdirectory and they didnt do it, i didnt realise until neil told me

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 19:38   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post

Don't worry about it , he thinks you live in Chicago or New Orleans. Besides you don't think anybody who tells people about using their names is really called Neil, he is actually a she, an old spinster called Agnes.

If you miss me one day Mr H I'll be chuffed to bits
Old 08-09-2008, 21:54   #11
Resident Waffler

It would be a shame if we stopped caring about asking about each other for fear of people getting to know about empty houses.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 22:00   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
It would be a shame if we stopped caring about asking about each other for fear of people getting to know about empty houses.
Is it not more caring to want your friends to come home to a safe house?

If you suspect someone may be ill then you can ask others you trust that might know via PM
Old 08-09-2008, 22:00   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
my sentiments willow. i can see both arguments, but fer me people come before material things.
Old 08-09-2008, 22:11   #14
God Member

Quote:
Agree.............I will be in England next week and my house will be empty.
All I have said on this forum is that my overlooks the med. I think it might be safe as I have not given a postcode and the med has one hell of a big coastline............Come in Benipete....you know where I live...but keep your gob shut.....por favour.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 22:16   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

many members post on here when they go on holiday, me being one, as that is a personal choice then its fine.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..