Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2008, 20:45   #1
God Member

Privatisation of public utilities..good or bad?

Has privatisation been good or bad for the economy and the consumer?..what were the reasons for the Tories privatising gas, electric, water, railways ect?
Now was it just for the good of the nation, or a way to restrict union powers..or a means to fend off political criticism when price increases are in the offing?... or just a means of repayment to multinational companies that have funded the party into power?
Or was it a good thing for the country?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-08-2008, 21:02   #2
God Member

Re: Privatisation of public utilities..good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Has privatisation been good or bad for the economy and the consumer?..what were the reasons for the Tories privatising gas, electric, water, railways ect?
Now was it just for the good of the nation, or a way to restrict union powers..or a means to fend off political criticism when price increases are in the offing?... or just a means of repayment to multinational companies that have funded the party into power?
Or was it a good thing for the country?
The taxpayer can no longer afford to run big business.
Government is not qualified to run big business.
Government should not subsidise big business (Northern Rock was a farce)
and this showed the Government up for what they are.
I would not trust the present Government to run a raffle.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 21:15   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
The taxpayer can no longer afford to run big business.
Government is not qualified to run big business.
Government should not subsidise big business (Northern Rock was a farce)
and this showed the Government up for what they are.
I would not trust the present Government to run a raffle.
Royboy.. are you forgetting that the taxpayer is also the consumer? and as for Governments subsidising big business then no! it should not.. but the Tories subsidised the Railways for millions even when they had sold them.. South East Railways was sold for £1 ..yes a quid.. and the then Government gave the new owners over 50 million a year in subsidesfor the first 5 years.. a total rip off to the taxpayers..
Old 18-08-2008, 21:17   #4

That’s a hard one Mancie.

I think privatisation has been both good and bad depending on the industry. Think with the likes of Gas and Leccy we have benefited from the added competition they have to face, even though vast profits are made.

The railways is a different tale in my book. Things seem far worse even though I never use rail. Prices are constantly being pushed higher, passengers always seem to be unhappy, timetables are crap (late trains etc) and the amount of accidents they have had with lost lives is criminal. Dunno who is responsible for what in that industry, the railway companies, rail track or the government for letting it go on. By "letting it go on" I mean the apparent profits before safety attitude.
Old 18-08-2008, 21:21   #5
Senior Member+

For me its just been a pain in the backside,I just stick with what Ive got and cant be bothered changing.Door knockers and cold calling on the telephones is just a pain.I leave it to my Mrs to tell them to go forth and multiply when they come knocking on the door LOL
Old 18-08-2008, 21:27   #6
God Member

I have opinions on this, and have expressed them in other threads, would be interesting to see what the tory supporters have to say though.
Old 18-08-2008, 21:29   #7
God Member

Quote:
Royboy.. are you forgetting that the taxpayer is also the consumer? and as for Governments subsidising big business then no! it should not.. but the Tories subsidised the Railways for millions even when they had sold them.. South East Railways was sold for £1 ..yes a quid.. and the then Government gave the new owners over 50 million a year in subsidesfor the first 5 years.. a total rip off to the taxpayers..
The Railways were on a downward spiral for many years as were the mines.
Do you know how much it cost the taxpayers over the previous five years to run the railways and the mines....both running at a loss?
How much did the Dome cost? and what are it's uses.
If the Government at the time had said 'OK' pull the shutters and close both down...what sort of response would that have brought from the people who would have been out of a job.....that subsidy to the railways was obviously to keep people in work.

Old 18-08-2008, 21:36   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthead View Post
For me its just been a pain in the backside,I just stick with what Ive got and cant be bothered changing.Door knockers and cold calling on the telephones is just a pain.I leave it to my Mrs to tell them to go forth and multiply when they come knocking on the door LOL
Who?..........................

Old 18-08-2008, 21:38   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I have opinions on this, and have expressed them in other threads, would be interesting to see what the tory supporters have to say though.
Five gets you ten at the next election,

Old 18-08-2008, 21:42   #10
God Member

Quote:
The Railways were on a downward spiral for many years as were the mines.
Do you know how much it cost the taxpayers over the previous five years to run the railways and the mines....both running at a loss?
How much did the Dome cost? and what are it's uses.
If the Government at the time had said 'OK' pull the shutters and close both down...what sort of response would that have brought from the people who would have been out of a job.....that subsidy to the railways was obviously to keep people in work.
The subsidies to the Railways was to keep people in jobs? ..as soon as the private sector took over the railways the first thing they did was to "slim down".. meaning sack half of the workforce...as happend in all the other national assest they sold off.. the only people that were safe in thier jobs were on the board of directors.
The Tory Government activley employed managers and chairmen of boards whose instructions were to make working people redundant..sounds silly these days.. but it was seen as a practical policy in the Thatcher days.. that's how silly they were!
Old 18-08-2008, 22:00   #11
God Member

Quote:
The subsidies to the Railways was to keep people in jobs? ..as soon as the private sector took over the railways the first thing they did was to "slim down".. meaning sack half of the workforce...as happend in all the other national assest they sold off.. the only people that were safe in thier jobs were on the board of directors.
The Tory Government activley employed managers and chairmen of boards whose instructions were to make working people redundant..sounds silly these days.. but it was seen as a practical policy in the Thatcher days.. that's how silly they were!
Sounds to me like you've had a bad experience.
Businesses have to make money in order to survive (Fact)
Be it public or private enterprise, money is what controls any type of business....the banks will go along with it but only so far.
The countries 'National Assests' were stuggling to survive.
Slimming down is what every employer worth his salt will do if the company is in deficit.
It would be rather interesting to know what you take would be if you were running a business and you were loosing thousands of pounds a year.
Would you throw the towel in or fund it from your personal bank account?

Old 18-08-2008, 22:23   #12
God Member

Ok Roy..the thing that stands you out as a Tory is way you seem to regard the workforce as tools ..that maybe..but you don't see that they are also the tax paying public..in a nationlised industry the workforce are already shareholders.. they contribute to the industry by working and paying tax.. if some of the tax they pay is used to subisidies that industry/company then it is in thier own interests.. not so in a private bussiness.. I don't regard the supply of electricity, water, gas, as a luxury that depends on having enough money to access... that is the reason these utilities were nationlised in the first place.
Old 18-08-2008, 22:36   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Who?..........................
All the gas and electric suppliers.Such a body is dearer than such a body.
Old 18-08-2008, 22:56   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
How much did the Dome cost?
£789,000,000.00

Yes, that's right, seven hundred and eighty nine million pounds.

A better idea of John Major's would have been to give every man, woman, and child in the country £13.50, so they could at least buy a few party streamers and hats, and a few cans for the adults.

Still, it was nearly worth it, when we got to see Her Majesty, not knowing how to do Auld Lang Syne properly.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 22:59   #15
Give, give, give member

Talking of the old Queen, what other state funded bodies should be privatised next?

Education, the health service, the Royal Family?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..