Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2008, 11:25   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Property crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You really dohave to feel sorry for anyone in that possition

...or happy that greedy investors, out to make a fast buck, are being stung, and that falling prices might mean people will be able to buy or rent homes at more realistic prices.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-06-2008, 11:26   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
It must be heartbreaking to find yourself in that situation but really think to many people are over stretching their finances these days. Credit is far to easy to get but very hard to manage.
Old 25-06-2008, 11:35   #18
Give, give, give member

I feel very sorry for anyone who has mortgaged themselves to the hilt, and then lose their home because of the rise in interest rates.

I feel less sympathy for property speculators who are hit. They took a risk, in order to make profit, and I personally believe you should never gamble with more than you can afford to lose.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 11:40   #19
Resident Waffler

Maybe now is the time to buy?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 12:05   #20
God Member

Now I'm on the house owning side of the fence,

We have been lucky in that we bought at the 'right' time but I would counter that with the fact that we wouldn't have moved if the house we live in now cost what it did now. Managed correctly houses can be another form of investment ( buy when low, sell when high) and can provide an alternative means of pension when you inevitably hit that period when all the kids have gone etc. You also get the pleasure of living in a nice house in maybe a better area, how much is it worth for that peace of mind?

People who mortgage themselve up to the hilt (often without realising that it also costs money to live and enjoy life) are the ones who will suffer along with as Rindy etc mentioned those who 'have' to sell for one reason or another. All you can do against that is ensure that you go in with eyes wide open having done all your research properly ( can I afford it if interest rates go up 3%, what happens if I'm off work for 6 months, would I be happy paying X when teh house is only worth 3/4 of what I paid etc)

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 12:39   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

some good posts on this, as entwisi says, do yer homework, the simple anology i used when i started way back was borrow no more than £4000 over 15 yrs, that equated to payments of £48 per month, which if the worst happened n i was cast on the dole, i reasoned we could still afford £12 per week. ok i started with a 2 up 2 down terrace, but always payed mortgage off before 15 yrs, n sold then bought a better house, using same criteria. had some lovely property inc semis, bungalow, etc, trouble today is most want the best NOW, n many come unstuck, when things like this happen. other circs can balls things up, but that was my general rule.
Old 25-06-2008, 14:45   #22

When interest rates were 4% my son was buying his house and I pointed out they may go to 5% and he said that was a 1% increase! In fact it's a 25% increase but he never really got the message.
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 14:59   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
When interest rates were 4% my son was buying his house and I pointed out they may go to 5% and he said that was a 1% increase! In fact it's a 25% increase but he never really got the message.
if they did wadey, it would probably be a first!
Old 25-06-2008, 18:27   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Maybe now is the time to buy?
nope we havent seen anything yet that is going to happen the experts predict another 10% percent decrease in house prices in the next 12 months...
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 19:28   #25
God Member

absolutely, now is probably not the time unless you go in with a silly low offer and accept even then it may drop further. You should be in for teh long run if you buy now

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:49   #26
God Member

The price of housing escalated because there is a housing shortage - too many people chasing too few houses.

Ironic isn't it - that house builders are now shutting down building and laying off workers because no-one can afford to buy what they have built.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:16   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The price of housing escalated because there is a housing shortage - too many people chasing too few houses.

Ironic isn't it - that house builders are now shutting down building and laying off workers because no-one can afford to buy what they have built.
I spent some time on a new development site and to be honest for what they were charging for these buildings and considering how they were built its no surprise. The cost comes (from what they told me) more from the price of the land than the actual build but wether that was bull or not I dont know. Up my way housing with a garden and garage go at a premium compared to those of similar/same age area build quality etc. That though raises the question of the cost of housing on former brown field sites. Ok location, amienities, motorway access etc play a part but the question I have is do those that move to the area benifit it?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 20:08   #28
God Member

From what I read, the English real estate market is going to take a bigger beating than the American .... things are still OK here in Ontario, and the housing market is positively booming in Saskatchewan, Alberta, and Newfoundland ... but I still like the idea that there should be more to owning a home than merely looking to make a buck out of it.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..