Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2009, 19:55   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Protest against foreign workers

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
At the end of the day, in todays climate, jobs are seen as the goverments responsibility, and rightly so too in my opinion
thats were folk are being conned, it is not their responsibility for the foreign workers, that can only be eradicated IF government can either change opinion in "Brussels" or come out of the common market n re-claim responsibility.
Old 29-01-2009, 19:58   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
I find it really easy to be annoyed at the job stealing eastern europeans and let them know every single day, my fellow English people haven't got it in them to do anything about it except talk, don't make them welcome because tomorrow it could be your job their taking.
accrington alone has a huge buisness called express gifts that mainly employees foreigners because the lazy arsed sods that doss around town all day cant be bothered to get a job

if it truely was a case of foreigners taking jobs away from UK citizens then yes i would be annoyed but lets be honest here the majority of jobs foreigners get are simply there because a lot of people would rather work up an asbo rather than a wage

i think its safe to say most people could name quite a lot of people who havnt lifted a finger working since leaving school so if they dont want the jobs then its no wonder workers are brought in from other countries

perhaps we should adopt americas take on benefits where you get 6 months payout from the govenment then your own then there wouldnt be jobs for foreigners to take

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 20:59   #18
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Are you saying that all British workers working abroad should be forced to come home or are you on a one way street?
If the job cannot be filled by a resident of that country then it would be up to the powers that be to decide if an overseas employee was the answer. So personally I feel British workers should NOT be employed instead of a national from that country, which is NOT the case here in England.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 21:04   #19
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
accrington alone has a huge buisness called express gifts that mainly employees foreigners because the lazy arsed sods that doss around town all day cant be bothered to get a job
We've all seen the lazy gets around town and I would force them to work for their benefits but there are English people who want to work but find they are losing out to cheaper labour from Eastern Europe and beyond, fact.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 21:05   #20
God Member

Quote:
accyman accrington alone has a huge buisness called express gifts that mainly employees foreigners because the lazy arsed sods that doss around town all day cant be bothered to get a job
I am sick of reading this arguement for giving the jobs to foreign workers. I know quite a few people who did the job at Express Gifts every year. All they asked was that they got paid minimum wage and overtime rates when they worked overtime. Not everybody is entitled to top up money from DHSS so need to earn the minimum wage at the very least. Employers are laughing at British workers and foreign employees are draining the economy even more by not spending here but sending the bulk of their money home.
Old 29-01-2009, 21:12   #21
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

if it truely was a case of foreigners taking jobs away from UK citizens then yes i would be annoyed but lets be honest here the majority of jobs foreigners get are simply there because a lot of people would rather work up an asbo rather than a wage

i think its safe to say most people could name quite a lot of people who havnt lifted a finger working since leaving school so if they dont want the jobs then its no wonder workers are brought in from other countries

perhaps we should adopt americas take on benefits where you get 6 months payout from the govenment then your own then there wouldnt be jobs for foreigners to take

More likely the foreign workers will do all hours god sends in overtime. Usually they are in this country by themselves and have left their families behind, so the company know they are on to a good thing before they start. They have no family commitments which would prevent them from wanting to do so. They just want the money.

Have experience of this company, all my older kids have worked there at some stage or other. As have I myself for six months. Maybe the fact that me and others didn't want to do more than the expected hours overtime, and Saturdays- on a rota, and we have a life outside work, is why they are taking on these foreign workers rather than us Brits. Myself and a couple of people I know who have worked there, who flogged our guts out in the required hours, have been turned down to work for them again, and they refuse to give a reason...I wonder why?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 21:30   #22
God Member

iv always said express gifts is a god awfull place to work for but it still remains that we have plenty of teenage males and females with no commitments dossing around town who could easily work there yet dont do

i worked there for over 6 months rather than claim dole money untill i found a better job and hated every single day i spent there and i dare say a lot of other people have worked crap jobs rather than be on benefits but these days more and more kids leave school and pull their face at the idea of actually getting a job which leaves jobs open for immigrants

liek i said , maybe we should follow the USA and only allow 6 months benefit then nothing at all and see how fast these jobs get snatched up before imigrants even get a foot onto the ferry

most people have worked for poor wages at one point or other infact my generation mostly worked for £28.50 a week on teh crappy Y.T.S sheme and tehre were no such things as minimum wage or working tax credit then to help us out

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 29-01-2009 at 21:36.
Old 29-01-2009, 21:43   #23
Caz
God Member

Yes it is a god awful place to work. Use to doubt that myself before I worked there. But to be honest if you want to give an example, Express isn't the one.

I would have quite willingly have gone back and worked for minimum wage, doing the alloted extra hours, for the extra cash, and not to be on the dole.

I did nothing wrong while I was there, (Clayton offices) I even helped train up incomers after me when the supervisor had gone off shift, which was expected, even though I didn't get paid for it, and it interrupted my own work.

But my reluctance to do even more hours overtime than written down obviously was noted.

The fact that if you do more than a certain number of hours overtime has a knock on effect on your tax credits the next year obviously isn't of interest to them. Nor the fact that you may be doing extra hours to your family's detriment..especially as a single parent.

As far as the teenagers hanging round town with no jobs, unless they stop their benefits, they aren't even going to try are they?

- Oscar Wilde
Old 29-01-2009, 21:51   #24
God Member

there are examples where british workers get laid off then imigrants are employed a few weeks later at a lower wage and that is disgusting and should be stopped and made illigal for a company to do so but i still maintain there are also a lotof jobs out there that are filled by immigrants that need not be

working for benefits has been discussed before and i think its a good idea and would also reduce teh need for imigrant workers

if i was an employer and had a job to offer i would offer it to the UK citizen but if no UK citizens are coming for teh job then of course i would give it to somone who wanted it

Old 29-01-2009, 22:05   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thats were folk are being conned, it is not their responsibility for the foreign workers, that can only be eradicated IF government can either change opinion in "Brussels" or come out of the common market n re-claim responsibility.
Nope, its the governments responsibility (Morally). By acknowledging any other authority we merely allow them to avoid their responsibilities
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 22:11   #26
God Member

but who is making express gifts a crap place to work.the so called management who are after the quick buck.they would rather see their country go down the swanney than create decent working conditions so people will want to work there .they probably use outdated workin practices..another example of the greed factor which will probably blow up in their faces,thats happened to other companies recently..just to think people died for better working conditions and practices only to be blown away by thatcher and her cronies ,who sold off the countries assets and made it acceptable to do so again..lets not get into the blame culture the only blame is on the politicians who have been selling us down the river and that is both labour and tories now is a time for a new political party to rise but the big 2 have tried to make it impossible by raising the bond you have to pay by fielding a candidate..the best thing to do at the moment is to protest at the houses of parliament and give them a message the silent majority is no longer silent.it is time for action before it is too late......
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 22:12   #27
Caz
God Member

As far as I know, if someone is laid off, they cannot legally take on someone in the same position for a certain period, I think it's 3 months but not sure , can't remember. Maybe they recreate it under a different title?

Would have no problem working for benefits, if I was signing on, but that is not the position I am in.

Sometimes I think the job centre have more interest in offering jobs to people who are signing on, and are there to play the system, just to get statistics down, rather than someone who really wants the job but isn't doing so. It's easy to take a dosser off the dole queue, and give them a placement, which may not even last that long, considering they don't really want the job in the first place. Yet people like me, willing to give our all, don't even count. We don't count as far as getting training for other options, going on courses etc. Would love to do a certain course, but it ain't available to me coz i don't sign on.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 29-01-2009, 22:20   #28
God Member

yup iv bveen in that position as well where because i didnt get the right sort of benefit i couldnt get certain training courses

my argument isnt against those willing to work but are held back by stupid regulations but against those who leave school and never see a payslip of any kind apart from what they sign for every fortnight and even when offered help in the way of courses at college choose to either doss around town or stay in bed

Old 29-01-2009, 22:20   #29
God Member

thats why this certain company use employment agencies so they can get away with anything ..if it was up to me i would disband all these employment agencies they are not good for the moral of the country in fact they are another part of the problems of todays society.jobs are supposed to make or break people .these agencies just break people and destroy the fabric of society gone past...i say everybody boycott all express gifts products..
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 22:25   #30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Nope, its the governments responsibility (Morally). By acknowledging any other authority we merely allow them to avoid their responsibilities
Not true, it's not the government's responsibility because they willingly handed over that responsibility, along with many other responsibilities to an undemocratic quango in Brussels/Strasbourg long ago. You can protest all you want to Parliament but they won't do a thing about it, because they CAN'T do a thing about it. For better or for worse, citizens have complete freedom of movement in the EU.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..