Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-01-2009, 08:59   #61
God Member

Re: Protest against foreign workers

When we started to have our globalised econemies and companies things became global including our workforce. A company will if it gets a contract will as a rule use its own tried and trusted staff. The refineries are a good example of this with their maintainance contracts as the compinies that win these contracts bring their own people. This has been happening for years and locals here have complained to no avail. The skilled people complaining is ironic especcialy when they complained about too much work and O/T. Some of those in the refinery with matching skills to those employed by Ineos have fewer benifits longer hours and less pay. With the economy in free fall and contraction companies will take the cheapest option even at the expense of local skilled people. Having worked in the refinery up here I know that the subbies are treated with contempt even local ones. Those that are complaining have in real terms not a lot to do because it is taken by subbies.

The walk out of 600 or so bodies from the Longannet and Cockenzie power stations up here makes me laugh. These are people that have again had an easy life thanks to the cheap labour whether skilled semi skilled or just grunts. If an "import" gives more per pound/hour they will be employed. Thing is though if in the position that these "imports" are I bet they would do the same. People from blighty work all over the world as "imports" so they know how it feels like Boing Guy. In a way I am an "import" in the job I do even though I am British. The argument being that I am taking the job from a Scottish person. I work with a Pakistani 3 Poles 3 Indians an Italian a Spaniard and a Welshman yet we dont worry about this issue.

Mind you if it does go crazy I might be out of work as I am an "import" and have a job that a Scotsman should be doing. If we take the jobs of imports the skill shortage will return. As for who owns the companies they will do what is best for their profit margin. So does this also mean that because the company I work for Is US owned know I will be giving my job to an American? Dont think so. we need to go with the times learn improve expand and embrace what is happening as this is what we are if you want stuck with.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-01-2009, 09:16   #62
Resting in Peace

The comparisons are being made to 1979 and the Winter of discontent, then it was sonny Jim over in the West Indies saying Crisis what Crisis, now its good old Gordon living it up in a Swiss resort, carrying on with his I'm saving the World campaign, instead of being here sorting out home grown problems. Just a bit like Nero fiddling whist Rome burnt
Old 31-01-2009, 10:15   #63
Super Moderator

In the end, the strikes are pointless; the free movement of its citizens is enshrined in the principles of the EU. This isn't some new measure that's been foisted on us. When a Tory government took us into the then-Common Market in 1973, it was made perfectly clear that this was part and parcel of membership...and there was a referedum. I voted against it, but most of you didn't, so we stayed in. Many Brits took advantage of the situation, too, by working abroad in the 70's and 80's.

Then, of course there's the union's approach that's it's all the fault of big business (whatever happened to their "workers of the world unite" principles?). But businesses inevitably look for the most cost-effective solution to their needs and, provided it's within the law, there's not a thing anyone can do about it. And don't most of us do the same anyway? When we go shopping for clothes or electrical goods, do we pass over the cheaper foreign-made goods and buy a more expensive British alternative because we're thinking "must preserve British jobs"? I don't think so.

The thing that bothers me is if this protest turns nasty and provides a field day for xenophobes to start venting their spleen on anyone in a job who looks foreign. If Mrs H starts getting any hassle, I reckon that's another big step towards me packing up and going somewhere warmer!
Old 31-01-2009, 10:48   #64
Resting in Peace

I too voted against joining the European Union and it seems to me the ones that are complaining are the ones that voted for it.

I just accept it for the shambles it is.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 11:06   #65
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

funny ive heard a couple of folk, in the last couple of days saying they support the striking workers, nowt wrong with that, but these strikes are illegal,FACT, i pointed out to the same people they supported the Tory legislation to make strikes illegal without a Postal Ballot.... funny how the worm turns when summat don't suit. "HYPOCRITES" springs to mind.
Old 31-01-2009, 14:39   #66
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
funny ive heard a couple of folk, in the last couple of days saying they support the striking workers, nowt wrong with that, but these strikes are illegal,FACT, i pointed out to the same people they supported the Tory legislation to make strikes illegal without a Postal Ballot.... funny how the worm turns when summat don't suit. "HYPOCRITES" springs to mind.
I don't know if I've got the right angle on this cashy, can I ask if you were in favour of postal ballots or not, I have to say that I'm not and never have been against withdraw of labour for the right reasons and actually think the ballot was a good idea, which meant that union members took the decision to withdraw labour and not just a few union leaders
Old 31-01-2009, 14:45   #67
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I don't know if I've got the right angle on this cashy, can I ask if you were in favour of postal ballots or not, I have to say that I'm not and never have been against withdraw of labour for the right reasons and actully think the ballot was a good idea, which meant that union members took the desision to withdraw labour and not just a few union leaders
no i was n still am totally opposed to postal ballots. n it did not mean union members took the descision to withdraw labour, it meant peer pressure from wives/husbands when the letter came through the front door, plus postal ballots took/take weeks to organise n get out, so impetus was/is lost. i was in favour of secret workplace ballots, no problem with that. trouble is people never see further than the end of their noses.
Old 31-01-2009, 15:07   #68
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
no i was n still am totally opposed to postal ballots. n it did not mean union members took the descision to withdraw labour, it meant peer pressure from wives/husbands when the letter came through the front door, plus postal ballots took/take weeks to organise n get out, so impetus was/is lost. i was in favour of secret workplace ballots, no problem with that. trouble is people never see further than the end of their noses.
I hear what your say cashy
Old 31-01-2009, 15:35   #69
God Member

I've never understood how any strikes can be illegal...if anyone decides to withdraw their labour it's up to them alone.... funny how a while back farmers, along with the ultra right wing Tory Countryside Alliance were picketing the petrol depots and hailed as hero's by the Tories... but the Miners pickets got their heads kicked in by Thatchers SS brigade!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 16:17   #70
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I've never understood how any strikes can be illegal...if anyone decides to withdraw their labour it's up to them alone.... funny how a while back farmers, along with the ultra right wing Tory Countryside Alliance were picketing the petrol depots and hailed as hero's by the Tories... but the Miners pickets got their heads kicked in by Thatchers SS brigade!
its same as i said earlier, HYPOCRITES. wrong until it suits.
Old 31-01-2009, 16:21   #71
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I too find it odd having rules about strike, and whether they are legal or illegal.

It's like the rules we have in war.

It's odd that it's never the victors who are accused and stand trial for war crimes.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 20:26   #72
God Member

the thing is thatll be more money going out the economy and people wonder why britain is going to the biggest recession it has ever seen for decades.there will be no more money to recycle and we wll soon be in the euro like or lump it britain is nearly dead as an independant country. we are no longer in control of our own destiny unless we protest now, but there is so much apathy in this country they cant see past there own front door and have no right to complain because they find politics boring and dont get involved all part of murdoch and his cronies brainwashing.he already has his claws into obama as his daughter paid and hosted his election parties......another nail in the coffin for true democracy..i support these strikers and anybody who opposes these strikes should take a hard look at themselves and ask do their loyalties belong to this country and their family..afterall you need a job to pay your bills and live,these people are only protecting their livelyhood and if disagree its right to try and protect your livelyhood you are a bigger fool that george bush will ever be.....support these strikes its time for the common people to fight back ...
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 21:28   #73
Resting in Peace

Spoken like a true Democrat

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 21:38   #74
God Member

cheers...
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:04   #75
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Does this mean the Royal family will have to go back to their various homelands on mainland Europe?
Looks like they are starting to take all the skilled jobs now as well

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..