Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2009, 13:17   #1
God Member

Protest against foreign workers

How long before this gains momentum ?

BBC NEWS | England | Humber | Oil refineries protest escalates
Old 29-01-2009, 17:16   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Protest against foreign workers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Not long I hope dave, but of course our hands are tied by Europe, good old Tony made sure of that
Old 29-01-2009, 17:21   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the protest i can agree with, but for me any protest should be taken to the "Houses of Parliment" nowhere else, ya can't blame the intake of foreign workers fer doing what these dickheads allow.
Old 29-01-2009, 17:31   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the protest i can agree with, but for me any protest should be taken to the "Houses of Parliment" nowhere else, ya can't blame the intake of foreign workers fer doing what these dickheads allow.
You'd be better in Brussels! We need to seriously rethink who we want deciding our laws. An elected house, accountable to us at every general election, or the EU, whom has entirely unelected, unaccountable decision makers. All we get to vote on is our European Member of Parliament, but don't be fooled, its nothing like our parliament, they are only allowed to vote on legislation, not actually initiate it, no, initiating legislation is for the unelected powers that be. For this reason, when we vote at European elections, we cannot even vote for a manifesto, because the people we vote for don't get a say!
Old 29-01-2009, 17:48   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

fair point, but in a recession brussels is a bit of a cash stretcher.
Old 29-01-2009, 18:28   #6

I would fully support the strikers: while their are jobs in the UK they should be filled by any relevantly skilled (or trainable) unemployed
To take no action would just result in more job losses somewhere along the ling. It is not good enough for the company to say that the new jobs will not result in redundancies. People are being mad unemployed all the time at the moment and the only way to keep the economy buoyant is bu utilizing every possible vacancy for those who are indigenous to the country.
someone suggested taking the protest to the Houses of Parliament - hang on a minute they are the goons who got us in this mess in the first place!!!!!!
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 18:33   #7
God Member

Is this the one that has got a ship acting as a floating hotel for the foreign workers? It is only the other week that GB said he was going to protect jobs for British workers and now this happens. I despair I really do.
Old 29-01-2009, 18:34   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
fair point, but in a recession brussels is a bit of a cash stretcher.
...or, then again, it could be Strasbourg, as the European parliament moves there, lock, stock and barrel, for one week every month at huge expense, so as not to hurt the feelings of the French. Incidentally, noble sentiments, Andrewb. I wonder how the Tories are going to implement this "serious rethink" you speak of? Perhaps we should ask your new front bencher, Ken Clarke?

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 29-01-2009 at 18:36.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 18:58   #9
God Member

i find it difficult to get realy upset about foreign workers coming here to get jobs because if people left school willing to work and not go straight on the dole then the jobs wouldnt have been tehere for the taking in the first place

what i do get annoyed at though is now that jobs are becoming more scarce then foreign workres should be limited and nationals who are willing to work be given the few jobs that are available then when things pick up allow foreign workers back to fill the gaps left by the lazy sods that go from school straight to benefits

aslo on a slightly related topic regarding foreign workers and why they shoudlnt be used especially in a recession is that if Mr Whoyanichabollocof cames over from poland our govenment will pay child benefit to his kids back in poland

i may be way off but it seems to me that if you employ Mr Whoyanichabollocof you put a UK man or woman on benefits and also pay for his kids back in Poland and due to Mr Whoyanichabollocof working for less money than the UK person pays less tax and teh govenment ends up paying him out 10x more than what he pays into the system

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 19:18   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I would fully support the strikers: while their are jobs in the UK they should be filled by any relevantly skilled (or trainable) unemployed
To take no action would just result in more job losses somewhere along the ling. It is not good enough for the company to say that the new jobs will not result in redundancies. People are being mad unemployed all the time at the moment and the only way to keep the economy buoyant is bu utilizing every possible vacancy for those who are indigenous to the country.
someone suggested taking the protest to the Houses of Parliament - hang on a minute they are the goons who got us in this mess in the first place!!!!!!
i too support the aim, not the method, n Parliment got us in it no doubt, but protesters at immingham have no chance of changing minds in brussels, they may have the will, but sure aint got the way.
Old 29-01-2009, 19:25   #11

Quote:
i too support the aim, not the method, n Parliment got us in it no doubt, but protesters at immingham have no chance of changing minds in brussels, they may have the will, but sure aint got the way.
It is amazing what public protests can do - especially if the popularity polls of politicians start to fall.
And it is always better to do something than sit back saying that nothing can be done
Old 29-01-2009, 19:30   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
It is amazing what public protests can do - especially if the popularity polls of politicians start to fall.
And it is always better to do something than sit back saying that nothing can be done
agreed n media coverage would be much wider i think if parliment was the target.
Old 29-01-2009, 19:36   #13
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!
Angry Re: Protest against foreign workers

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i find it difficult to get realy upset about foreign workers coming here to get jobs
I find it really easy to be annoyed at the job stealing eastern europeans and let them know every single day, my fellow English people haven't got it in them to do anything about it except talk, don't make them welcome because tomorrow it could be your job their taking.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 19:39   #14
Resting in Peace

Are you saying that all British workers working abroad should be forced to come home or are you on a one way street?

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 19:40   #15

Quote:
agreed n media coverage would be much wider i think if parliment was the target.
At the end of the day, in todays climate, jobs are seen as the goverments responsibility, and rightly so too in my opinion

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..