Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 20:39   #1
Beacon of light

Punishing the Parents.

Jacquie Smith the current home secretary, is talking about prosecuting parents if their children are found drinking alcohol...and there was some talk of jailing parents for their childrens misdeeds.
1) where are they going to find places in jail for these errant parents?
2) do you think this is more posturing, or will this tactic have any effect?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-06-2008, 20:45   #2

Re: Punishing the Parents.

Clutching at straws springs to mind.

I think it’s option 2 Margaret, just posturing...
Old 01-06-2008, 20:46   #3
God Member

I'm not sure if it will work or not but we have to find some way to make parents responsible again. For too long it's been easy to blame anyone and everyone else.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 20:47   #4
God Member

I don't know if it will have any effect ...... It possibly could do, if it was thought out properly!!

I wouldn't Jail the parents, I would make them clean the streets for 6 month's or do something effective. And, I would hope that the parents would then take more notice of what their children are GETTING UP TO while out on the streets til the wee small hours of the morning. Because, lets face it.... a Child out past 11pm at night, is a child up to no good!!

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 20:49   #5
God Member

If they hadn't taken the rights of punishing the children away from all figures in authority we might not be in this situation now. Think some parents don't give a monkeys but the vast majority just feel helpless as to how to discipline their kids these days
Old 01-06-2008, 20:49   #6
Resting in Peace

In theory ... ' tis good Margaret, however, jailing them to me is not the best option, perhaps hitting them where it hurts .. in their pocket, could have the best effect.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 20:50   #7
Beacon of light

Maybe the government is reaping what it has sown, in respect of it wanting to take over many areas where parents would be better placed to know what is right for their own children.

I am all for parents taking responsibility...and i think in the main, the majority of parents do.
I fear that the threat of prosecution is toothless because the irresponsible parents do not worry about going to jail.
I suppose the government plans to release a few more thieves and wife beaters to make room for the irresponsible parents.
Old 01-06-2008, 20:51   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
If they hadn't taken the rights of punishing the children away from all figures in authority we might not be in this situation now. Think some parents don't give a monkeys but the vast majority just feel helpless as to how to discipline their kids these days
I don't agree completely with that one Bernie. I have never been one for smacking my kids, but they know not to push me..... taking away what they enjoy is the best way to get to any kid and sticking to it, and will stick in their memory a lot longer than a slap on the leg.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 01-06-2008, 20:51   #9
Beacon of light

Katex, and will we, the tax payer end up paying because the parents can't afford to?
Old 01-06-2008, 20:53   #10
Beacon of light

I think that Bernie said punishment...she didn't mention smacking...she didn't say what kind of punishment.
Old 01-06-2008, 20:54   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Katex, and will we, the tax payer end up paying because the parents can't afford to?
I'd say probably, so make them do un paid work ..... things that will make a difference to where they live!! maybe then, they will care enough about their environment, that they won't let their unruly brood destroy it.

And before anyone says " yes but what if they were in paid work?? " well they would be sacked anyone if they were put in prison.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 01-06-2008, 20:57   #12
Beacon of light

And while these errant parents are in prison, who is going to be looking after the children......?why, the tax payer of course.

I don't know how you solve this kind of problem, but I feel fairly confident that this one will be another failure.
Old 01-06-2008, 20:58   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Very true.

Parents are told they can't do this and they musn't do that with regards to punishment so they wonder what they can do.

Teachers can't touch children and neither can the police.

And the kids know it.
Old 01-06-2008, 20:58   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
I don't agree completely with that one Bernie. I have never been one for smacking my kids, but they know not to push me..... taking away what they enjoy is the best way to get to any kid and sticking to it, and will stick in their memory a lot longer than a slap on the leg.
With most children your way will work but if children need a slap (and I don't mean a beating) think it should be the parents decision.
Old 01-06-2008, 20:59   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

think its posturing personally, how they gonna jail em? just announced after half a sentence they will release people, also would like to see more "meat on the bones" of this proposal, fer instance kids who get drunk n parents were not aware etc etc. if n when its fleshed out, then i decide wether good or bad.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..