Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 00:59   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: r. biggs.

the money was going to the bank of england to be destroyed. thats also fact.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:09   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the money was going to the bank of england to be destroyed. thats also fact.
It still had a monetary value, to us as well as them.

You can't print, or destroy money, willy-nilly, otherwise there'd be no poor countries in the world.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:20   #18
Give, give, give member

Old school crim.

Bit of a rogue.

Jack the lad.

The people's hero.

No he wasn't.

For God's sake he wasn't some sort of Robin Hood, robbing the rich to feed the poor. It was hard working tax payer's money on that train, and the only poor to benefit were the third world, poverty trapped, prostitues he bought as company in his fun filled exile.

I hope he finds peace now he's been released, and in the time he has left.

I'd also hope he'd eventually show some remorse for his part in the crime. If only for the victim's family, Jack Mills, the 58 year old, hard working train driver, who was coshed on the head with an iron bar, and who was never able to work again, and who suffered pain from his injuries until his death.

Perhaps some people wouldn't feel so misty eyed about Biggs if it'd been thier old dad who'd been attacked, whilst going about his business.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:01   #19
God Member

lol one min people are shouting to be tougher on crime and as soon as they see a picture of an old lag looking weak and feeble its awww let him go.

if he hadnt ran and served his time he wouldnt be in the mess he is now and if he hadnt blown all his money and not been taken ill im pretty sure he wouldnt have been handing himself back anytime soon either

shoudla left him to rot and die abroad, not waste my tax money paying for his keep in prison ,medical bills, legal aid etc

personaly i woulda handed him a rope and told him to go do what his pal buster did and put himself out of his misery

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:36   #20
God Member

the man has not done his time in a British prison.. and that is what most people who think he should still be there get the hump on..but it don't add up when a bloke kills a baby and gets 20yrs with chance of parole, but a bloke that nicks money gets 30yrs..it's not only about Ronnie Biggs.. the sort of sentencing the courts andmistrate is all over the place... the people that tried to rob a daimond from the Greenwich Dome get 20yrs..and the man that killed baby P gets the same.. something wrong there.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:11   #21
Give, give, give member

Just for the sake of curiosity, it would be really interesting to know how much income tax Briggs paid in the U.K. prior to 1963, since it's highly doubtful he's paid anything into the system since.

People who chose crime as a profession, if they're any good at it, rarely work a 9-5 job, and pay all the relevant taxes that fund our welfare state.

That's usually down to millions of other law abiding, hard working people.

People like the train driver Jack Mills. The people who graft away for years, to put a roof over their families heads, and food on the table, and who pay all the taxes that fund our social benefit system, and the National Health Service, etc.

The same N.H.S. Brigg's returned here to take advantage of, because he'd blown all his ill-gotten gains, and couldn't afford medical care in Brazil.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:18   #22
Give, give, give member

Although his son is now saying his father is sorry, and feels remorse, the last interview I read, done a couple of months ago, Briggs proudly said he didn't feel any remorse for his crimes, and that he was glad his noteriety meant he'd earned his place in history.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:53   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Although his son is now saying his father is sorry, and feels remorse, the last interview I read, done a couple of months ago, Briggs proudly said he didn't feel any remorse for his crimes, and that he was glad his noteriety meant he'd earned his place in history.
On this issue I agree with you 100% Rindi
Old 07-08-2009, 20:18   #24
God Member

Quote:
Old school crim.

Bit of a rogue.

Jack the lad.

The people's hero.

No he wasn't.

For God's sake he wasn't some sort of Robin Hood, robbing the rich to feed the poor. It was hard working tax payer's money on that train, and the only poor to benefit were the third world, poverty trapped, prostitues he bought as company in his fun filled exile.

I hope he finds peace now he's been released, and in the time he has left.

I'd also hope he'd eventually show some remorse for his part in the crime. If only for the victim's family, Jack Mills, the 58 year old, hard working train driver, who was coshed on the head with an iron bar, and who was never able to work again, and who suffered pain from his injuries until his death.

Perhaps some people wouldn't feel so misty eyed about Biggs if it'd been thier old dad who'd been attacked, whilst going about his business.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 07-08-2009, 20:33   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

He should not have been let.
Old 07-08-2009, 20:39   #26
God Member

Quote:
Just for the sake of curiosity, it would be really interesting to know how much income tax Briggs paid in the U.K. prior to 1963, since it's highly doubtful he's paid anything into the system since.

People who chose crime as a profession, if they're any good at it, rarely work a 9-5 job, and pay all the relevant taxes that fund our welfare state.

That's usually down to millions of other law abiding, hard working people.

People like the train driver Jack Mills. The people who graft away for years, to put a roof over their families heads, and food on the table, and who pay all the taxes that fund our social benefit system, and the National Health Service, etc.

The same N.H.S. Brigg's returned here to take advantage of, because he'd blown all his ill-gotten gains, and couldn't afford medical care in Brazil.
Dont give a toss.....he has been given back to his family for burial.
God speed.
Might create an interest on here with millions of hard working people but the man is on his last legs.
Rindi.....10 out of 10 for trying, but the subject will die with the demise of R Biggs.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 21:13   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Dont give a toss.
If that's the case, and there's nothing constructive you can add to the discussion, it seems a bit of a waste of time bothering to post.

Old 07-08-2009, 21:18   #28
Senior Member+

Hopefully the family will have to pay for the burial too!!....How long before the Son has a book out???

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 21:20   #29
God Member

[quote=garinda;734366]If that's the case, and there's nothing constructive you can add to the discussion, it seems a bit of a waste of time bothering to post.[/quote

That being the case, RIP Garinda and R Biggs, and let the man die with dignanty and in peace.......unless you have other ideas?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 21:23   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
My sentiments exactly.
We seem to have a generation divide on this one.

The old codgers seem to be misty eyed about old Ronnie, whilst those of us too young to remember seem to have more sypmathy with the victim, rather than those that chose violent crime as a career.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..