Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



Like Tree3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2009, 08:40   #46
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!
Addiction Solitaire Champion!

Re: r. biggs.

no folk hero to me either, but that was never my point which ya seem to ignore, cos i don't believe ya don't grasp it.
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-08-2009, 08:48   #47
God Member
 
steeljack's Avatar
 

Re: r. biggs.

thinking back , I'm thinking some of the sympathy the 'train robbers' got was from the fact the Kray twins and slumlord Rachman (snakes in the bath) were in the news a lot at the time and they seemed to 'get off' with a lot easier sentances for more heinious crimes than the 'train robbers'
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:59   #48
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: r. biggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the guy who got coshed was a fool, should just have let em get on wi it simple as. could understand his actions if it had been his money.
Nowhere have I posted in this thread that he was seen as some sort of folk hero to yourself, though to some it appears he is.

As pointed out earlier, the money belonged to every hard working man and woman in the country, the bulk of which was never recovered.

Calling the train driver 'a fool', for not giving in to these violent thugs, is a shocking statement.

He too suffered the consequences of his actions, because he was unable to work again from the age of 57, and suffered pain from the injuries he received until his death.

To me someone like Jack Mills, a hard working train driver, injured because he didn't give in to those who use violence to get what they want, is much more of a hero, than any selfish thug, who's only out to steal what they want at any cost.

I have a very clear grasp on what I think is right and wrong.
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:03   #49
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: r. biggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
We seem to have a generation divide on this one.

The old codgers seem to be misty eyed about old Ronnie, whilst those of us too young to remember seem to have more sypmathy with the victim, rather than those that chose violent crime as a career.
Well I'm in the old codgers bracket as you put it Rindi and I agree with you, he thumbed his nose a British justice for 30 years and only came back when his money ran out and his health was failing and he wanted NHS treatment
__________________
35 YEARS AND COUNTING
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:09   #50
Resting in Peace

 
Mick's Avatar
 

Re: r. biggs.

This is a link to Ronnie biggs on sky news put on 1 hour ago

Ronnie Biggs Is 80 Today - The 46th Anniversary Of The Great Train Robbery | UK News | Sky News
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:23   #51
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!
Addiction Solitaire Champion!

Re: r. biggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Calling the train driver 'a fool', for not giving in to these violent thugs, is a shocking statement.



I have a very clear grasp on what I think is right and wrong.
it may be shocking to you, but its fact, not the brightest move anyone ever made in those circumstances, i say things as i see em, if some don't like that TOUGH.
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:36   #52
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: r. biggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
it may be shocking to you, but its fact, not the brightest move anyone ever made in those circumstances, i say things as i see em, if some don't like that TOUGH.
I guess some people just lie down and hand over whatever's demanded of them, when faced with violent bullies, and others of us would fight back, and not give in.

Choices and consequences.

Although personally I'd feel pretty ashamed of myself for labelling someone a 'fool', who decided not to give in to thuggery, whilst going about his job.
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:42   #53
God Member

 
BERNADETTE's Avatar
 

Re: r. biggs.

Bottom line is Biggs commited a crime, he served fifteen months before escaping and going abroad to spend his ill gotten gains. When he became ill he decided that Britain was the place to be because he would get free NHS care. To my mind he is just as bad as the people who come on holiday here knowing they will get free treatment also. Why should we think any differently of him? He paid nowt in yet expects to be looked after and that is wrong in my book!!!
__________________
A PERSON WHO MINDS THEIR OWN BUSINESS WILL ALWAYS BE FULLY EMPLOYED (Cicero)
BERNADETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:52   #54
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!
Addiction Solitaire Champion!

Re: r. biggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I guess some people just lie down and hand over whatever's demanded of them, when faced with violent bullies, and others of us would fight back, and not give in.

Choices and consequences.

Although personally I'd feel pretty ashamed of myself for labelling someone a 'fool', who decided not to give in to thuggery, whilst going about his job.
not in the least, faced with a bunch of masked thugs armed with coshes, i would feel pretty ashamed if through my stupidity, i was then unable to provide fer my family,fer the rest of my natural. may be hard fer hero's to grasp but THEY have always come first in my book. as you yerself say Choices n consequences.
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Last edited by cashman; 08-08-2009 at 10:57.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 15:57   #55
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: r. biggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Bottom line is Biggs commited a crime, he served fifteen months before escaping and going abroad to spend his ill gotten gains. When he became ill he decided that Britain was the place to be because he would get free NHS care. To my mind he is just as bad as the people who come on holiday here knowing they will get free treatment also. Why should we think any differently of him? He paid nowt in yet expects to be looked after and that is wrong in my book!!!

Exactly my sentiments too Bernie.
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 16:06   #56
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: r. biggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
not in the least, faced with a bunch of masked thugs armed with coshes, i would feel pretty ashamed if through my stupidity, i was then unable to provide fer my family,fer the rest of my natural. may be hard fer hero's to grasp but THEY have always come first in my book. as you yerself say Choices n consequences.

...happily for us the millions who died in wars facing weapons much worse than iron bars, in order to ensure our freedom in Britain, had more of 'have a go' attitude.

I still think it's an odd attitude to have. The other day you applauded the actions of the two lads who caught and detained the suspected child rapist, not knowing what danger they were putting themselves in, he could easily have been armed with a knife, gun, or iron bar, and yet labelling an innocent victim, who dared to stand his ground when faced with this criminal gang, a 'fool'.

Not having a go Cashy, just genuinely suprised.
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 16:51   #57
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!
Addiction Solitaire Champion!

Re: r. biggs.

nowt to be suprised about rindy, if someone tried to rob me or mine, i know fer fact i would have a go, as i have in the past, if it was some firms money stuff it, i didn't have a go cos i'm brave or owt like that, i had a go cos cos me head went which is stupid. and to liken it to the millions who had a go in the war i think is pathetic, not even close to reality, expected better from you.
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 17:52   #58
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: r. biggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
nowt to be suprised about rindy, if someone tried to rob me or mine, i know fer fact i would have a go, as i have in the past, if it was some firms money stuff it, i didn't have a go cos i'm brave or owt like that, i had a go cos cos me head went which is stupid. and to liken it to the millions who had a go in the war i think is pathetic, not even close to reality, expected better from you.
The vast majority of people don't know how they'd react under a stressful situation, such as a violent robbery.

I applaud your self control, only defending your own personal posessions, rather than those of someone who employed you.

The vast majority of people, given a split second to make a decision, will act on instinct, irrespective of whose goods they are defending.

This train driver was going about his lawful business, and he stood up to these criminal bullies, and was injured because of it.

To me it's more pathetic to crassly label him a 'fool' for doing what he did.

In most people's opinion, at least in this thread it seems, a more suitable label for him would be a 'have a go hero'.

Certainly the label suits him better, than ever could be said of Ronnie Biggs.
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 18:15   #59
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!
Addiction Solitaire Champion!

Re: r. biggs.

disagree i labled myself stupid fer having a go in circumstances which were very dangerous i don't regard that as pathetic more foolish, n the same applies to the driver, i have always acted on instinct, but have held certain things/rules dear all me life n will continue to do so.
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 18:28   #60
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: r. biggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
disagree i labled myself stupid fer having a go in circumstances which were very dangerous i don't regard that as pathetic more foolish, n the same applies to the driver, i have always acted on instinct, but have held certain things/rules dear all me life n will continue to do so.

If this gang of violent thugs had given the train driver advance notice they were going to attack the train, he might have decided to act differently than he did.

This was not he case.

He has a split second to act, and was coshed on the head because of his actions, and lived with those injuries for the rest of his life.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing.

With it Jack Mills may have acted differently, and wouldn't then be dismissed by yourself as 'a fool', some forty six years later.
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 17:07.


2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com


Page generated in 0.31172 seconds with 11 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1