Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Rowlf
  • 2 Post By Big Joe
  • 3 Post By AccyMad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2018, 19:57   #1
Full Member+

R.i.p. Sir ken dodd

What sad news today that the genius that is Doddy will no longer spread all the happiness and laughter around everywhere. He was certainly a one off. I cannot think of any other entertainer who worked so hard , spent 4 to 5 hours on stage, visiting every live theatre in the country. His Knighthood last year was very much over due. In my book the funniest comedian has ever been. The funeral will probably start at 2pm and finish about midnight. R.I.P Doddy and thank you for all the happiness.
KiTChener, hilleluk and Big Joe like this.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-03-2018, 20:36   #2
Full Member+

Re: R.i.p. Sir ken dodd

Went to see Doddy year's ago at Batley Variety Club from the Lamb Inn C-Le-m, on the mini bus one chap made £10 bet that Doddy would not make him laugh, within 5 min's he called the bet off. The man was just brill. R.I.P. DODDY.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 21:06   #3
Senior Member+

We went some years ago, you could only hear every alternate joke' you were too busy laughing. Went on for 2 hours after he should have. Superb!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 06:54   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

To me one on his own will be missed by many. R.I.P.
Old 13-03-2018, 07:39   #5

He was a great all round entertainer, and a very good singer...will be missed
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 14:09   #6

Although not a fan of Doddy ( Les Dawson and Eric and Ern )it is fair to say he and comedians like him that could entertain without using foul language or denegrating the audience were absolute masters of their craft and they are as Doddy has shown a dying breed.
KiTChener and monkey hanger like this.
Old 13-03-2018, 15:10   #7
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
Although not a fan of Doddy ( Les Dawson and Eric and Ern )it is fair to say he and comedians like him that could entertain without using foul language or denegrating the audience were absolute masters of their craft and they are as Doddy has shown a dying breed.
Not sure about that Joe, didn't he make the charts in 1964 singing about Hap-pi-ness
Old 13-03-2018, 18:27   #8

Is that a subliminal message or a double entendre???
Old 13-03-2018, 18:37   #9
Full Member+

yes
Old 14-03-2018, 12:46   #10
God Member

More sad news, just heard that Jim Bowen has passed away at the age of 80

RIP Jim, condolences to his family & friends
KiTChener, Rowlf and monkey hanger like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 17:51   #11

Once went to his pub in the lakes years ago. Can’t remember the name of it. Jin was working behind the bar and took time to speak to us like any other public an talking to his punters despite my mate trying to ask him how two people in different homes shared a fitted kitchen or a speed boat. Great bloke.
Old 16-03-2018, 15:44   #12
Full Member+

My dad knew Jim's father as he worked at Nori in Clayton. Jim used to work there in the holidays when he was at college. We once went to see him at the Cabaret Club in Rosegrove Burnley. Unknown to me my dad had been talking to Jim before the show. During his act he told a tale of a girl being bitten by a mouse. Everyone was roaring with laughter.... except me...they thought it was a joke but it was true. I was terrified he would say ' and she is here' and I would have to stand up. A very embarrassing moment. He was a lovely bloke and loved Lancashire. R.I.P. Jim
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 15:51   #13
Full Member+

R.i.p. Ken dodd.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..