Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 23:11   #46
God Member

Re: Raise The School Leaving Age?

Well unfortunatly, technology has gone as far as having a lot of texts on the internet, but the problem is that you cant always be sure who the author is, and with being a law student, u have to buy up to date text books, so lovely second hand ones are out of the question, and books are around 30 pound each on average and thats just the basic reading, so to buy others to help further your knowledge it can be very costly alone.

All I can say is that its a good job I'm not a drinker and enjoy the gospel choir
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-11-2007, 00:45   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Well unfortunatly, technology has gone as far as having a lot of texts on the internet, but the problem is that you cant always be sure who the author is, and with being a law student, u have to buy up to date text books, so lovely second hand ones are out of the question, and books are around 30 pound each on average and thats just the basic reading, so to buy others to help further your knowledge it can be very costly alone.

All I can say is that its a good job I'm not a drinker and enjoy the gospel choir
Law, eh. Don't worry you will be able to recover the cost by inflating your bills when you graduate. If you wish to read a satirical comment on the law, try the second book of Gulliver's Travels.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 00:54   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Law, eh. Don't worry you will be able to recover the cost by inflating your bills when you graduate. If you wish to read a satirical comment on the law, try the second book of Gulliver's Travels.
Theres a second book of gullivers travels? I've only ever read it when I was teeny and it was a few pages long I never liked the story. I dont even have time to read anything that isnt relevant to my studies, but accyweb gets posted on during my breaks

On looking on the web, I see now that there are several parts to gullivers travels and I only knew of the first. Seen as I genuinely don't have time, would you like to tell me about the 'satirical comment on the law', I'm keen to know what it says now.

Last edited by blazey; 07-11-2007 at 00:58.
Old 07-11-2007, 00:57   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelson View Post
well you cant claim jobseekers till your 18 anyway flashy...
Actually you can it is £35.65 pw for 16-17 yr olds rising to £46.85 for 18-24yr olds then after that it is £59.15

Not that I advocate it of course

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:00   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
Actually you can it is £35.65 pw for 16-17 yr olds rising to £46.85 for 18-24yr olds then after that it is £59.15

Not that I advocate it of course
They used to let you claim it during summer holidays as well if you where at college, but of course they've stopped that now, but my law teacher at college told me that thats what all the students did. Terrible really.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:01   #51
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Theres a second book of gullivers travels? I've only ever read it when I was teeny and it was a few pages long
Quote:
Gulliver's Travels

by Jonathan Swift - 378 pages
I'd hate to see how many pages are in what you define as a big book!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:05   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I'd hate to see how many pages are in what you define as a big book!

It was a shortened childrens version in a book of many stories, I still have it actually at home. The law text book in front of me has 815, so thats a medium book the big books are in the library and there are volumes and volumes lol.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:58   #53
God Member

Quote:
Theres a second book of gullivers travels? I've only ever read it when I was teeny and it was a few pages long I never liked the story. I dont even have time to read anything that isnt relevant to my studies, but accyweb gets posted on during my breaks

On looking on the web, I see now that there are several parts to gullivers travels and I only knew of the first. Seen as I genuinely don't have time, would you like to tell me about the 'satirical comment on the law', I'm keen to know what it says now.
The only capital crime in Brobdingnag is writing commentary on the law. A giant step in the right direction.
Old 07-11-2007, 14:33   #54
God Member

Quote:
The only capital crime in Brobdingnag is writing commentary on the law. A giant step in the right direction.
I understand your pun on the word giant, but wouldn't it be a giant step in the wrong direction? Sounds like a law a dictator would make to me!
Old 07-11-2007, 15:31   #55
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelson View Post
yes im sure that is the way as whats to stop a child leaving school and then starting life on the dole
Hobson's Choice, give them 3 shovels and tell them to take their 'pick', NO WORK NO EAT. Do not forget our Grandparent's worked half time, but still managed to aquire the basic's of educationTHE THREE Rs, the wrong subjects are being taught, in the name of statistics.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 16:05   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Hobson's Choice, give them 3 shovels and tell them to take their 'pick', NO WORK NO EAT. Do not forget our Grandparent's worked half time, but still managed to aquire the basic's of educationTHE THREE Rs, the wrong subjects are being taught, in the name of statistics.
If the wrong subjects are being taught, then how come some people are not failing in the education system?

I think its more a case that you arent taught the benefits of it during high school. I dont recall anyone ever asking me what I wanted to do when I was older, and being taught how to aim for it. I was just fortunate that I made the right choice when I left school that i did definatly want to go to college, but I had no idea what. I nearly ended up doing BTEC's in Music, and thankfully I didnt, and luckily at college they drill it into your head that you need good grades for uni, and so here I am at uni, when I didnt even know what choices I had other than that.
I think the High school stage is the failing part, and if i'm not mistaken gordon brown is bringing economics and things into the school curriculum is he not? Which I guess is quite useful. I still dont have a clue about how to get a mortgage and a loan or anything like that, its like important life skills dont matter.
Old 07-11-2007, 16:43   #57
God Member

Quote:
I understand your pun on the word giant, but wouldn't it be a giant step in the wrong direction? Sounds like a law a dictator would make to me!
Satire is meant to be taken seriously, but not literally Whatever you do, stay away from Dean Swift's "Modest Proposal."
Old 07-11-2007, 16:47   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
I aknowledge what you are saying, just would like to highlight that some parents cannot work, it's not always a case of not being bothered.
Of course, I 100% understand that some people do need this money, however the vast, vast, vast majority who do get it don't need it.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 18:26   #59
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Satire is meant to be taken seriously, but not literally Whatever you do, stay away from Dean Swift's "Modest Proposal."

Unless you're very, very hungry.
Old 07-11-2007, 19:38   #60
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Of course, I 100% understand that some people do need this money, however the vast, vast, vast majority who do get it don't need it.
And alot of people who do need it dont actually get it. To be honest, every single student in england could be forced to work part time to get money to fund their education, except those of course with disabilities that are very limited to work, but why should they if the money is there? One day they are more likely to have a job due to having more qualifications, and they will be tax payers and pay it all back, so its hardly unjust to give students money.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..