Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 13:35   #1

Question Raise The School Leaving Age?

BBC NEWS | UK | Education | School leaving age may be raised

Now I leave my opinion on it, hopefully nobody will cry about my opinion on this like with my other topic..

I think the raising of the school leaving age would be a TERRIBLE move, the schools are already filled with too many children who shouldn't be there being forced to attend. It should be a choice not an obligation. The Sixth form classes work so much better for the lack of discipline issues as the school is not forced to teach you there and the class sizes are smaller, I firmly believe that forcing students to attend A-levels would drastically reduce exam results and like a few other people are probably going to say.. Do no more than just waste another two years of some peoples lives.
Old 06-11-2007, 13:44   #2
God Member

Re: Raise The School Leaving Age?

I thought that the plans were for higher education or job training, which means practical work such as that which used to be provided in Technical colleges for those not academically inclined.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 13:47   #3

Gordon Brown: Young people have got to get the qualifications that are necessary for the future..

Lol, I hate our government. He can't handle the growing crime-rates so he's shoving kids in school to keep them off the streets, lol.
Old 06-11-2007, 13:49   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Swift View Post
Gordon Brown: Young people have got to get the qualifications that are necessary for the future..

Lol, I hate our government. He can't handle the growing crime-rates so he's shoving kids in school to keep them off the streets, lol.
Well it is one way to keep them occupied USEFULLY

Old 06-11-2007, 14:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Well it is one way to keep them occupied USEFULLY
Yes there are gangs out and stuff but not all of us are like that.
Old 06-11-2007, 14:06   #6
God Member

The retirement age is being raised, so it is rational to increase school leaving age, in order to prevent an increase in unemployment

Old 06-11-2007, 14:07   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Swift View Post
Do no more than just waste another two years of some peoples lives.

Why can't they make the most of the two years, or is that beyond todays youth ?
Old 06-11-2007, 15:14   #8
Resident Waffler

If they don't want to be there they are only going to9 make life more difficult for teachers and those who do want to be there.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 15:18   #9
God Member

Some new info from the Guardian in last few hours
Q&A: The new school leaving age | Schools special reports | EducationGuardian.co.uk

Old 06-11-2007, 15:20   #10

Is this not going more and more the way of a police state? Are we going to be told what time to wake up next etc?

I can understand what the government is trying to achieve, but not agree with forcing people to do it. Would it not be a better idea to make it easier financially for the children that want to further education but still keep the choice there? A lot of families have to rely on the elder teens to go and work as soon as they can. The families cant afford to keep supporting the child thru the education system,and so the child has to work.

Also, schools are disrupted enough already with children that simply do not want to learn. Why keep them there, interfering with willing kids 2 years longer.

And then you have the worry of this making the examination pointless. There has already been the accusations of exams being made easier and de-valuing the inportance of A levels, degrees etc. If you have more 'children' going for further education, the exams will be made easier (wouldnt exactly be fair to have loads of less academically able kids sitting another two years of school only to fail the exams).

As I say, I understand the idea behind this, but dont think forcing people down this route is the best scenario. The money it would cost could be far better used.
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 15:24   #11
Resident Waffler

Fine them £200? And who will pay that? The parents? Will the parents end up being criminalised like they are now for not getting under 16 year old truants to stay in school? Have you seen the size of 17/18 year old lads? How can parents who can't cope with disillusioned 15 year olds going to school hope to stand a chance with 16 and 17 year olds?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 15:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Fine them £200? And who will pay that? The parents? Will the parents end up being criminalised like they are now for not getting under 16 year old truants to stay in school? Have you seen the size of 17/18 year old lads? How can parents who can't cope with disillusioned 15 year olds going to school hope to stand a chance with 16 and 17 year olds?
Good point!
Old 06-11-2007, 15:43   #13
God Member

Rather than looking at it in a negative way can nobody see any positives to this idea? The way I look at it the offer of widening your education if only on a part time basis can only be a good move. They are not saying you can't work just that at the same time as working you can further your education. I truly hope the young people embrace the idea.
Old 06-11-2007, 15:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Rather than looking at it in a negative way can nobody see any positives to this idea? The way I look at it the offer of widening your education if only on a part time basis can only be a good move. They are not saying you can't work just that at the same time as working you can further your education. I truly hope the young people embrace the idea.
I can guarentee it won't work. Lol.
Old 06-11-2007, 15:50   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Good point Bernadette. The current school leaving age is 16. Up to that point there are those who want to learn and those who don't. Those who want to learn will probably go on to college and this will be replaced by school, those who don't want to learn will probably carry on littering Accy town centre.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..