Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-06-2008, 06:45   #1
God Member

Real Ale

Was in my local last night and discussion turned to Real Ale, I was quite surprised at how many local Brewers there are in Lancashire and the variety of Ales on Offer

Just wondered how many people have tried Real Ales and what there favourites are

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-06-2008, 07:16   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Real Ale

Tried a few real ales, the Peel Park usually has a good selection. Sparks knows his ales and knows all of the names and breweries. I just have a try of whatever he's having but I do like the dark chocolaty ales....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 07:58   #3
God Member

Strange that this topic has come up because a fellow accywebber and I were discussing this last night. It is the real ale festival at the university at the moment but I haven't got any money to go.

I like the dark ones, but I like the blondes too... so I can't really pick! I had a pint of Wadworth JCB the other night in my local which was really nice and hoppy. Had a pint at the real ale festival last month called Demon that was 12% and I was suddenly feeling like the only drunk person in the room

Favourite is quite probably directors at the moment as its on the guest pump in my college bar which cheered me up! Jennings do a nice bitter on pump too that was on down the local the other week but they were out of it last time I went in

Of course Thwaites brew Lancaster Bomber, I assume they must do others, but that is the one that comes straight to mind. I think there is a big brewery in Cumbria too?

The local pub know me as 'that lass that drinks the bitter' lol. Apparently it's odd to find a woman drinking pints of bitter?!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 10:16   #4
Resting in Peace

We have three real ales on in Ossy Social Club, Black Sheep, Pendal Witch, and I think the other is Bartender, haven't tried them myself, as these days I'm daft enough of Thwaites Smooth Mild, but from what I'm told its good stuff
Old 20-06-2008, 11:07   #5
Resting in Peace

Unfortunatly the days of cask conditioned ales are numbered.Peoples drinking habits have changed,the sale of lager and alcho-pops is taking over along with keg beers that are much easier to look after and dispense.The pub trade in general is on the decline.Having said that I'm doing my bit.Must dash - pubs open.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 13:29   #6

i dnt like real ales but my fella is a big fan not sure which he likes best but hes definatley keen on the home brew
Old 20-06-2008, 13:49   #7
Senior Member+

Must admit Im not and ale drinker, more of a spirit drinker myself so have never tried any of these
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 14:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Strange that this topic has come up because a fellow accywebber and I were discussing this last night. It is the real ale festival at the university at the moment but I haven't got any money to go.

I like the dark ones, but I like the blondes too... so I can't really pick! I had a pint of Wadworth JCB the other night in my local which was really nice and hoppy. Had a pint at the real ale festival last month called Demon that was 12% and I was suddenly feeling like the only drunk person in the room

Favourite is quite probably directors at the moment as its on the guest pump in my college bar which cheered me up! Jennings do a nice bitter on pump too that was on down the local the other week but they were out of it last time I went in

Of course Thwaites brew Lancaster Bomber, I assume they must do others, but that is the one that comes straight to mind. I think there is a big brewery in Cumbria too?

The local pub know me as 'that lass that drinks the bitter' lol. Apparently it's odd to find a woman drinking pints of bitter?!
Student life must have changed a lot if it is now considered odd for females to drink bitter!!

One fot he things I miss most since having to give up foods with gluten (wheat) in them is a good pint of real ale. I always loved all the Moorhouses beers
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 14:12   #9
God Member

JAYSAY... We have three real ales on in Ossy Social Club,

OSSY SOCIAL CLUB? would that be the old con club ? Not been around for a while
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 16:22   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
JAYSAY... We have three real ales on in Ossy Social Club,

OSSY SOCIAL CLUB? would that be the old con club ? Not been around for a while
Thats right cherokee, its still a Tory club, but it also has a sign on the front saying Ossy Social club
Old 20-06-2008, 16:46   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Student life must have changed a lot if it is now considered odd for females to drink bitter!!

One fot he things I miss most since having to give up foods with gluten (wheat) in them is a good pint of real ale. I always loved all the Moorhouses beers
This isn't in a student pub Polly, this was in the local which is not very student friendly. I just go in anyway because I can't be bothered walking to the next pub down

I went into what is apparently the roughest pub in Lancaster on sunday night, and the women were all still drinking halves in there! Haven't seen anyone do that for ages! It wasn't THAT rough in there either. Very very local though!

Students obviously ALL drink pints of anything we are drinking, i've seen people drinking wine in pint glasses at parties, but apparently bitter isn't often the ladies choice!

I am going out tonight, but it is a student night so doubt I am going to get a good pint tonight though drinks are on my friend George so let the night begin!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 17:14   #12

Halve !!

No you must hallucinating
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 20:16   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
We have three real ales on in Ossy Social Club, Black Sheep, Pendal Witch, and I think the other is Bartender, haven't tried them myself, as these days I'm daft enough of Thwaites Smooth Mild, but from what I'm told its good stuff
Hey, I can get bottles of Black Sheep in the local Liquor Store. Not a bad brew. We are getting more and more small brewers selling their products provincially. I like Hockley Valley English Ale ... sorry, not brewed in England, but in the Hockley Valley north of TO, with an English brew master. Like Bishop's Finger too, it's from Kent I believe ... and some weird stuff called Old Engine Oil from over that side of the pond. I love beer
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 20:36   #14
Senior Member+

Without a doubt the best beer I have had this year is made in Darwen - Hop Pole( I thnk that 's the name) IPA. Pale, bitter ,tangy. As near perfect as it can get. The man behind the brew is Barry Tyson, CAMRA stalwart, who has many years of experience behind him. Find some - down some.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 01:14   #15
God Member

I;m always trying out the "real ale" they have bottled at the supermarkets.. but what is "real ale" ?.. is Kronnenburg or stella not real?.. gets me ****ed all the same!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..