Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2009, 19:10   #61
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Re: Recession List 2009!!

Land of leather shuts down, Administrators have been appointed to high street retailers Barratt Shoes and PriceLess Shoes.

Gonna be nowt left at this rate
Old 27-01-2009, 17:57   #62
Give, give, give member

Not sure if it's been mentioned, as it makes depressing reading to check through this thread, but there's a closing down sale sign in the shoe shop opposite Marks and Spencers.

The lovely gift/fancy goods shop on Church Street near the Regency has also recently closed.

Today's trip to Accy today was like walking round a ghost town.

Very few shoppers, and a dwindling number of shops.

A situation I see only worsening when the new Tesco opens.

Some of this situation is down to the global financial crisis, and some of it is down to some lunatic planning desicions by the local powers that be.

Will the last person to leave Accrington town centre please turn out the lights.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 18:11   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned, as it makes depressing reading to check through this thread, but there's a closing down sale sign in the shoe shop opposite Marks and Spencers.
I saw the signs and thought, not suprised. Then I saw the smaller writing at the top and it actually says Central Warehouse closing down. Looks like bad advertising by Shoe Zone because it's caused a stir in a few towns, ( actually it may be good advertising on that basis )

Here's the reson behind it;
Stead and Simpson had been taken over by Shoe Zone last January, but had kept its name.

Each firm had kept stock in its own central warehouse but Stead and Simpson's warehouse was being closed and in future the firm would share Shoe Zone's facility. Stock from the closing warehouse is on sale.
Old 27-01-2009, 18:22   #64
Junior Member+

Shops closing in Accy

I've just been past The Local on Whalley RD ( Off licence) and its no longer trading! Apparently it shut yesterday. I suppose its the time were in, but it's sad that more people loose their jobs.
campbellclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 18:24   #65
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I saw the signs and thought, not suprised. Then I saw the smaller writing at the top and it actually says Central Warehouse closing down. Looks like bad advertising by Shoe Zone because it's caused a stir in a few towns, ( actually it may be good advertising on that basis )

Stead and Simpson had been taken over by Shoe Zone last January, but had kept its name.

Each firm had kept stock in its own central warehouse but Stead and Simpson's warehouse was being closed and in future the firm would share Shoe Zone's facility. Stock from the closing warehouse is on sale.
Thanks eagle-eyed Dave.

That wasn't all clear from where I was stood in the doorway of M & S.

A clever (sneaky) marketing ploy.

Let's just hope it doesn't come back to bit 'em on the proverbial, if it does ever really close down.

Old 27-01-2009, 18:27   #66
God Member

Quote:
That wasn't all clear from where I was stood in the doorway of M & S

You can't see my stall from there either, which probably explains why I haven't had a royal visit from you yet
Old 27-01-2009, 18:33   #67
Give, give, give member

Where is your stall?

What days are you on?

Get your red carpet out, or at least a bit of cardboard, you mighy be getting a visit.

I hope it's going well, and that you're bucking the trend. Accy is desperately short of new businesses.

I might even award you my Royal warrant to display after my visit.

Old 27-01-2009, 19:32   #68
Senior Member+

Quote:

Isnt shoe zone the one in the arndale? the one on broadway (nr jjbs) is meant to closing
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 19:44   #69
God Member

Quote:
Where is your stall?

What days are you on?

Get your red carpet out, or at least a bit of cardboard, you mighy be getting a visit.

I hope it's going well, and that you're bucking the trend. Accy is desperately short of new businesses.

I might even award you my Royal warrant to display after my visit.
We are on Tuesday, Friday & Saturday. Corner stall opposite the tobacco kiosk. It's been very encouraging so far and will be even better if the takings get above £1 per week
Old 27-01-2009, 19:47   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
Isnt shoe zone the one in the arndale? the one on broadway (nr jjbs) is meant to closing

I thought Shoe Zone was the one on Broadway and Priceless the one in the Arndale, but you got me wondering now

Priceless shoes have gone in to administration.
Old 27-01-2009, 19:49   #71
Give, give, give member

Yeah it's the one on Broadway that has the closing sale posters.

Next to the hairdressers suppliers.

Old 27-01-2009, 19:50   #72
Senior Member+

Quote:
I thought Shoe Zone was the one on Broadway and Priceless the one in the Arndale, but you got me wondering now

Priceless shoes have gone in to administration.
You may be right, It's probably me getting it wrong. I thought it was the other way round but dont go in either of them very often. Infact thinking about it I think you are right, just trying to picture things in accy in my head now lol
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 19:54   #73
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
You may be right, It's probably me getting it wrong. I thought it was the other way round but dont go in either of them very often. Infact thinking about it I think you are right, just trying to picture things in accy in my head now lol

I just did some digging around on Yell and the address given for Shoe Zone is actually Market Square, bet that confuses you even more now
Old 27-01-2009, 20:12   #74
Senior Member+

Far as I know it's PriceLess in the Arndale that's in administration, think Shoezone just having a badly worded sale!
Old 27-01-2009, 20:14   #75
Caz
God Member

Shoe zone is the one on Broadway.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..