Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2009, 07:54   #91
Give, give, give member

Re: Recession List 2009!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Starbucks are to close 300 coffee shops

'Mr Schultz has admitted that the firm over expanded, devaluing its upmarket image.'
BBC NEWS | Business | Starbucks slashes jobs and stores

I hope he doesn't mean the Starbucks concession that opened at Vine Mills in Ossy!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-01-2009, 08:55   #92
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
The council should never have approved Planning Permission for this new Tesco .. as previously, would have thought the plans by Sainsburys opening into the Arndale Centre would have been a better bet.

'Course they are now deciding to open up the road in front of the Town Hall to allow better access to Tesco; probably part of the million pound 'bribe' !

Hyndburn news from the Lancashire Telegraph
/4077520.Plans_to_reopen_pedestrianised_Accrington_ street_to_traffic/

and exit from the new proposed square, where the old bus station will be shortly. I actually approve of the bus station moving to Crawshaw Street, and think the new square will be an asset to the town .. you have an opportunity to express your views on this:

Have your say on Square plans - News - Accrington Observer

Which lunatic planning decisions were you referring to Garinda?

I think your advert may have put Garinda off Lancsdave ... probably thinks 'mug prints' will be a Dingles imprint on his face ... LOL.
If Rindi visits dave's stall he will probably strike a limited edition coffee mug say Rindi was here and the date and time stamped on them for posterity, in years to come they'll be worth thousands on Bargain Hunt
Old 29-01-2009, 09:00   #93
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I fear that unless you can afford my consultancy fees you'll have to remain in ignorance of my ideas.

I had a wonderful and very successful career, if you're at all interested, but I'm afraid that when hiring staff most of our councillors wouldn't even have had enough qualification or business experience to merit even a first interview.
We'd be totally screwed up if Joneses mob were in charge then wouldn't we, the nearest thing to a businessman they've had in recent years was a bloke who ran a chip shop,
Old 29-01-2009, 09:05   #94
Resting in Peace

Re: Shops closing in Accy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
no, thats still Threashers isnt it?
That sounds like something from a pain and pleasure parlour flashy
Old 29-01-2009, 09:10   #95
Senior Member+

I see vodaphone are going to be opening a store in the arndale. Makes a change from another card shop.
Old 29-01-2009, 09:17   #96
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet View Post
I see vodaphone are going to be opening a store in the arndale. Makes a change from another card shop.
But do we need another mobile phone shop??

But in saying that we currently have carphone warehouse, phones4u, Orange, O2 and T-mobile so why not have vodaphone aswell. You soon wont be able to buy anything in town but at least you'll be able to get a mobile phone
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 09:19   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
is that the one acrooss from the oaklea

I reckon it is the one on the corner nearer to the railway bridge. We used to go to that offy as teenagers and hang-around waiting for a kind "adult" to go in for us and come out with a packet of 10 Number 6 and a bottle of cider.....they were the days!!
Old 29-01-2009, 09:22   #98
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rose View Post
I reckon it is the one on the corner nearer to the railway bridge. We used to go to that offy as teenagers and hang-around waiting for a kind "adult" to go in for us and come out with a packet of 10 Number 6 and a bottle of cider.....they were the days!!

Is that the one near urban retreat?
Old 29-01-2009, 09:24   #99
Resting in Peace

As there is already a thread on this running i have merged both threads
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 10:50   #100
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
But do we need another mobile phone shop??

But in saying that we currently have carphone warehouse, phones4u, Orange, O2 and T-mobile so why not have vodaphone aswell. You soon wont be able to buy anything in town but at least you'll be able to get a mobile phone
You know what they say emzy variety is the spice of life
Old 29-01-2009, 10:56   #101
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
We'd be totally screwed up if Joneses mob were in charge then wouldn't we, the nearest thing to a businessman they've had in recent years was a bloke who ran a chip shop,
I was happily living in Tory Wandsworth the last time Hyndburn had a Labour run council.

Though I do recall hearing a lot of grumbling about that council's performance.

My comments aren't aimed at any one political party, but the caliber of people who become councillors, and not just here in Hyndburn.

I stand by my comment that you do find people with very little economic or business experience, suddenly in charge of very large budgets, and making very important and long ranging decisions about an area's future.

The people who carry out the policies of any council, the finance department, planning etc., are expected to have the relevant qualifications and experience to do those jobs.

It just seems odd that the people actually pulling the strings might not have the ability to run a church Tombola, that I gave earlier as an example.

This is an observation that I've come to after having lived in four differing boroughs, irrespective of which party was in power.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 21:29   #102
God Member

Quote:
thats not the local that was bought by some asians and they took on some polish people never went in .i think its the one up near the oaklea thats the only local that ive seen..
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 21:39   #103
God Member

Quote:
That one was open Tuesday night cos I went in it

Got a damn noisy parrot as well.
Old 30-01-2009, 18:31   #104
God Member

The `Local` IS the one just accross from the Oaklea, between the Newsagents & the Florists, it was shut when i went past today..........
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 18:46   #105
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
That one was open Tuesday night cos I went in it

Got a damn noisy parrot as well.
The last quote i referred to when i asked if it was the one nr urban retreat as they said nr the railway bridge so was asking them to confirm if the meant to one nr urban retreat, coz i was just checking so i could let them know it wasnt that one as it was still open (drive past it twice a day) lol

If that makes any sense............

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..