Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2009, 10:03   #121
God Member

Re: Recession List 2009!!

nope in the part where i live we dont have slum landlords
Old 20-01-2010, 07:55   #122
Give, give, give member

Sadly this is continuing in 2010 too.

Accrington in shock at Clarkes closure (From This Is Lancashire)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 09:45   #123
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I knew about this quite a while ago as my Daughter is very friendly with the chap that owned it, quite sad really the lose of a well established firm
Old 18-03-2010, 20:59   #124
God Member

And another one goes;

Quote:
Yesterday it was announced that nine staff at Accrington’s Ethel Austin store would lose their jobs as administrators said the shop would close within weeks.
Nowt to do with the council though;

Quote:
Hyndburn Council leader Peter Britcliffe said the closure showed how the recession had left Accrington ‘mauled’.
He said: “As I go through the Arndale Centre now I feel so sad. This news just adds to the economic disaster in Hyndburn. It is dreadful news for the staff and also for the town. We have been badly mauled by this recession.”
It's a shame when an A1 rated council have made Accrington such a great town centre that it all goes tits up
Old 18-03-2010, 21:04   #125
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post

It's a shame when an A1 rated council have made Accrington such a great town centre that it all goes tits up
No doubt they will all be able to reflect on this whilst enjoying their reduced price leisure facilities....must admit ive never noticed PB on a treadmill at the Sports Centre though!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 23:53   #126
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
And another one goes;

Nowt to do with the council though;

Hyndburn Council leader Peter Britcliffe said the closure showed how the recession had left Accrington ‘mauled’.
He said: “As I go through the Arndale Centre now I feel so sad. This news just adds to the economic disaster in Hyndburn. It is dreadful news for the staff and also for the town. We have been badly mauled by this recession.”

It'll be an even sadder walk through the town for him, when there's only one very big store left.

Old 19-03-2010, 01:17   #127
God Member

seem to remember reading somewhere in the last couple of days that Walmart , the parent company of ASDA used to use the slogan "If we don't have it, You dont need it" so much for the future of downtown business districts
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 08:15   #128
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
seem to remember reading somewhere in the last couple of days that Walmart , the parent company of ASDA used to use the slogan "If we don't have it, You dont need it" so much for the future of downtown business districts
I fear the future may very well resemble the past.

A past when industrialists built a factory, and all housing for it's workers...and one shop, which charged what it liked, because there was no competition.

Work was done, wages paid, then went straight back to the factory owner, via the till of the lone shop.

Old 19-03-2010, 08:20   #129
Senior Member+

I can assure you that Ethel Austin closin has nothin to do with anyone apart from the heartless B**** that bought the company in 2008
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 09:06   #130
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It'll be an even sadder walk through the town for him, when there's only one very big store left.
Go on Blackburn Web and they criticize their town centre too, its not just Accrington. There are lots of reasons why Town centres in general are not as popular as years gone by, out of town shopping malls, and it's not forget the good old Internet, I buy nearly everything on the Net these days, I only use ASDA for food shopping that's all everything else is on the net
Old 19-03-2010, 09:10   #131
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolanda25 View Post
I can assure you that Ethel Austin closin has nothin to do with anyone apart from the heartless B**** that bought the company in 2008
Unfortunately Yolanda that's not the B Randi and friends want to blame
Old 19-03-2010, 09:23   #132
Senior Member+

Sorry i just had to let some anger out!
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 09:58   #133
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Go on Blackburn Web and they criticize their town centre too, its not just Accrington. There are lots of reasons why Town centres in general are not as popular as years gone by, out of town shopping malls, and it's not forget the good old Internet, I buy nearly everything on the Net these days, I only use ASDA for food shopping that's all everything else is on the net

I'm not opposed to out of town hyper-markets, just when they're sited within spitting distance of small businesses, who can't compete on price, because of the size, and therefore buying power, of the new superstores.

Especially when the new store seems to have eased it's planning application with a million pound 'contribution' to the council, to be used on filling towers with flowers.

Pretty in the short-term, but ultimately showing very poor long-term vision.

Old 19-03-2010, 10:03   #134
Give, give, give member

I chat to the traders in the Market Hall, whilst doing my regular shopping, and they genuinely see their long-term future as being very bleak.

The recession is difficult enough for them, but they see the fact that they can't compete with town centre megastores on price, as the death knell for their businesses.

Old 19-03-2010, 11:24   #135
God Member

It is not just Accrington that is suffering, we were in Leeds christmas shopping and their market isn't a patch on what it used to be. Unfortunately a lot of people want to buy all their shopping under one roof. Can't blame the council for that and as I pointed out in another thread the owners of the Arndale might get more tenants if they reduced the rents.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..