Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2003, 21:16   #1
Len
God Member

Post Recycling Scheme

This is similar to dustbin men thread

I think the recycling scheme by the Hyndburn Borough Council is a good idea, i.e. waste paper sacks and the bottles / tins blue box.
What I don’t like is the collection method. Instead of putting them out the back like I do with my dustbin, we have to put them out the front door into the street. I live in a terraced house, when I step out of my front door I’m on the pavement, no garden. As you can imagine on a bad day there could be bottles and tins all over the place, the sacks aren’t to bad you can put them in the doorway for a bit of shelter.
The blue bin I do not use anymore because I do not have any room in my kitchen to store it, so I put it out side in the back yard, then I noticed one or two of the local cats using it as a toilet. So there is no way I am going to carry the blue box through my home dripping with the contents of the empty bottle and cans and cat pee. I know that you are meant to wash the bottles and cans, but who does.
The cans go in the bin and the bottles I take to the bottle bank just like I have always done.
If they where to collect them, like they do with the bins (down the back). Then I shall do my bit again and start using the blue box.
Any one else having problems?

Donate to Accyweb here:
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-12-2003, 05:19   #2

Post Re: Recycling Scheme

Pavements are meant to walk on. If a shopkeeper or anyone else blocked the pavement, they would be taken to court by the council. On dusbin days the pavements are a hazard as those who work have to leave the emptied bins out all day. Are councils above their own by-laws?
Nessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 13:20   #3
God Member

If've you got problems with the cats, surely the answer is to recycle the cats?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 16:21   #4
Senior Member+

we have to take them all to their respective places here.Glass to the Glass banks ( big green containers) Paper to the paper banks ,tins also, and all the rest ie. yoghurt wrappings,tinfoil and all the rest goes in to a yellow bag and gets collected for recycling
Old 09-12-2003, 11:18   #5
God Member

Hey Mik,

How much Carbon Monoxide do you discharge into the atmosphere when you load your Trabant up with Glass. Paper, Wool, etc to take down the bottle/paper..etc bank?
Old 09-12-2003, 16:14   #6
Len
God Member

Maybe they should supply us with a little shed. Something about 3ft sq, * :-/that would stop the cats from doing their stuff on the box. Also for the cats’ own safety, it would prevent them from licking the opened tins.
What is wrong in them coming down the back anyway. It’s no problem for the bin men.
Who knows one day we might have to put the dustbin out of the front door onto the pavement as well. I would hate to have to carry the dustbin through my house also.

Last edited by Len; 07-05-2004 at 16:12.
Old 07-05-2004, 16:21   #7
Len
God Member

Re: Recycling Scheme

So Can I!!

I stand by my original argument. No way am I going to carry a blue box dripping with cat pee through my home so I can put it out into the front street. What's wrong with putting it out the back? Like we do with the black garbage sacks.

Attached Images
File Type: gif rubbish.gif (72.3 KB, 93 views)
Old 07-05-2004, 16:42   #8
God Member

why don't you just empty the cat p out first?
Old 07-05-2004, 16:58   #9

Ring the council and ask for a lid for your blue box.

My dillemma is that i am out tonight, and don't want to put my box out through the night as it contains bottles etc. I am sure i won,t be up before seven in the morning to put it out. Now if they collected the blue box from the back, i would have no problems putting it out the night before. So maybe for the next week or two cans will be going in the bin.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 17:28   #10
Caz
God Member

Lids and extra blue boxes can also be picked up from the depot at Corporation St.

I've got 4 cats and don't have the cat pee problem and have had no injuries cos the lids are always on the boxes!

I also put the box on a couple of bricks so the bottom isn't wet if it's been raining.

The reason the wagons don't come down the back is that they wouldn't fit, they put the stuff in from the side not the back end like the bin wagon, and there simply wouldn't be the space to do that.

Regarding leaving blue boxes out overnight, I think I would sooner leave the box at the front of the house than the rear, less chance of moronic individuals gathering and using the contents as missiles or setting light to the box.
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 17:33   #11
g78

I have to admit that we dont have any problems with the blue boxes. Though we do have a small front garden to put them out in. I think though that as long as you re-cycle your rubbish in anyway, whether it be by council bins or taking them to local re-cycle bins then its ok. I know a lot of people down the street behind us dont use the blue bins, and put the rubbish out in the backs. Which leads to cats shredding the bags and litter all down the back alley.

And Cazzer is right on why the vans dont go down the backs, cause they are too big.
Old 07-05-2004, 17:56   #12
Len
God Member

I have a lid, I made one at work, and at the time I didn't know you could ring up and beg for one. The cats don't do their thing in the box they spray everywhere, that's what cats do.
How does one know, that a couple of minutes be for you bring your box into your home that some cat has just sprayed it and as a consequence you then have it dripping on your carpets. lol We shouldn't have to carry it through our homes it unhygienic,
No, it's the way they collect and what we have to do that gets me. They slowly proceed down the street holding up the traffic because you've got parked car on both sides of the street. I know they do their best to prevent this but often they can't, maybe they should put diversion sign at either end of the street. lol, Yet, all the backs are clear.
Normal bin men don't have a problem using the backs.
Ok, the wagons are too big for the backs. Maybe someone should have given it a bit more thought at the planning stage. I think for a lot of people it's unhygienic and inconvenient.
Old 07-05-2004, 20:59   #13
God Member

I think its great that we are encouraged to recycle, I carry my blue box through the house and so far haven't had trouble with cats (though I do turn the hose pipe on them if they come into the garden). My main problem was when we had to use wheelie bins, the council wont collect ours from outside our house I have to drag it 50yards or so to the nearest road, which doesn't sound too bad, but I have a toddler, who at the time was a baby and cant be left on her own so it was a struggle to carry her and drag a heavy bin, she walks with me now but its still hard work.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 21:06   #14
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Haven't had a problem Len, but my box is kept in the kitchen. They don't do my street until after 10am, so I shove my box out at about 10ish, if I am on a late shift or day off. On an early I put it out at 6.45am when I set off for work. My only gripe is that they claim that they cannot re-cycle plastics, which everybody knows is a load of bull. Other councils in this country, and other countries have no problem re-cycling plastic containers and bottles.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 21:13   #15
God Member

Lettie we have a blue bag for plastic bottles now, though it is a recent developement.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..