Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3580Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-05-2018, 12:45   #1786
Beacon of light

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Yes, have had that too...but then I did not expect our signatures to make a jot of difference.
After all you do not get Turkeys voting for Christmas.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-05-2018, 18:36   #1787
God Member

Not holding my breath as, like many on here I have little or no hope that anything will come of it, but the response we've received is from the Government.
It's the Petitions Committee that decides whether to debate the matter in the Commons.
But I just wonder how many of the 11 backbench MPs on that Committee are anticipating retirement in the Lords.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 20:26   #1788
Beacon of light

All of them are....so you can guess where this petition will end up...file 13...the round one in the corner fashioned from metal net....also known as a basket.
hilleluk likes this.
Old 20-05-2018, 10:11   #1789
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Was reading an article yesterday that says the Irish Border argument, is pure BULL , Felixstowe handles Ł80 Billion of imports and exports every year, hardly any customs people in evidence, its done by technical bullshine, there is no hard border at all. containers etc are stored quayside and have usually hit the motorway in 4 hours, This was reported by a worker yon, Northern Ireland handles just Ł4 Billion every year and they couldn't see how thats a problem compared to Felixstowe which aint. he also said its likely to increase after we leave, and that will not be a problem either, its just REMAINERS trying to put the wind up people in his view.
Old 20-05-2018, 11:22   #1790
Beacon of light

Of course it is. Project Fear and Misinformation did not work the first time around, so the lily livered 'can't do' remainders want another shot at it.
Do not believe them...they lie.

Yes Cashy, it is just a ploy to try to make things far harder than they really need to be.
We can get a man to the moon(allegedly....because some doubt that too) but we cannot get ourselves cleanly out of The EU.....it is RUBBISH.
If you have the passion to get out then it is possible....there are solutions for many of these problems and some are simple.
hilleluk and monkey hanger like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 20-05-2018 at 11:25.
Old 20-05-2018, 12:46   #1791

Saw this on a website today and given the results that our Government has "achieved" as yet on us leaving the EU, I thought it was worth quoting-

Politics is perhaps the only profession for which no preparation is thought necessary.
Robert Louis Stevenson
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 13:01   #1792
God Member

It's a funny old world.

For the last two years we've had the entire (well almost all) me-jah pundits and politicians getting themselves tied up in knots about what kind of 'deal' the UK should or could have with the EU. Loads of nonsense about borders, customs, etc to the point where all major political parties are like rabbits caught in headlights, not knowing which way to run.
And now, as a response to Trump's latest wheeze on steel imports, we have the EU moaning that it's not fair, the USA must stick to WTO rules.

Hang on, aren't they the same WTO rules that we are told would be a disastrous 'hard' Brexit, but which was the option offered from the start by those who just want out of the Unholy European Empire?

You couldn't make it up.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 14:00   #1793
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Goodness me! The owd "Currant Bun" are even getting stuck into Dipsy DisMay, basically telling her to put up or shut up, will wonders never cease?

Sun Tells May: Stand Up to 'Plot to Destroy Brexit', Walk Away With No Deal ? Or Stand Aside for PM Who Will

Although it's not a "News paper" I'd read on a daily basis, if a certain article that interests me appeals I'll risk a peek .... and here is said report.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/643359...mps-democracy/

Plus another one for good measure.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/643792...t-poll-claims/
Old 03-06-2018, 15:43   #1794
Beacon of light

Son, I think that TM has had a lot to put up with....remoaners in her own party have not helped. Neither have those old shufflers in the upper house.( a place they go to nap and be paid for it)
Then she has the likes of John Major and the loathesome Tony Blair chucking their twopennorth in.
Add to that George Soros funding Best 4Britain campaign....and all the loony left luvvies like the odious Lily Allen.
Before you can effectively rule a country you have to create divisions...That is what all these folk have done.

What they cannot see is that this weakens any negotiating powers the the U.K. Might have had.
Junker, Barnier and Verhofstad want there to be cracks in her party...they want there to be divisions because this suits their case down to the ground.
They (the EU mandarins) have absolutely NO interest in any kind of negotiations.
They want to shackle the UK into paying cash into their coffers for the foreseeable future.

So while TM tries to please everyone, this is an impossible position to negotiate from....even if the EU WANTED to negotiate....but it doesn't.

She has had the most difficult job of any PM since World War Two was declared.

All the media do is crow about how badly she is doing.
They want her to run a race, but have her with both legs tied together and running through porridge.

And when they ask her to step aside and let someone else step in....just WHO can you see on the political scene that is cut out for the job...please do not tell me that you really believe that JRM could do the job...because I feel that he would be well intentioned, but out of his depth.
You have to remember that this has NEVER been done before.
We have had decades of meddling from Brussels...what was sold to us as a trading option has turned nasty....and it is inevitable that it is going to be far harder to get out of, than it was to get into.

For goodness sake let our PM get on with it.
I hope that there will be no agreement...that we can leave without giving the EU a bean...no single market, no customs union....just let us get out...right out!
Old 03-06-2018, 16:10   #1795
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

It is a very difficult job under the circumstances of all the ******* bleating. but to me the sun is quite correct (For Once) she said at the very start of her tenure Brexit means Brexit. so unless she is gutless given the objectors then sod em and get on with a proper job of doing it.
KiTChener likes this.
Old 03-06-2018, 16:21   #1796
Beacon of light

The Sun(Arrrghhh-spit) seems to think that there are 'talented Tories'...their words, but they fail to tell us who they are.
I cannot see ANY politician in ANY party who can come up to scratch on getting us out of the EU.
It is clear from what happened in Greece a couple of years ago....and what happened in Italy after their recent elections....if those who are elected to govern do not meet with the approval of the EU elite, then they parachute in one of their technocrats to ensure compliance.
Italy may yet be the wind of change that blows the grins off the faces of Juncker, Barnier, Tusk et al.
It cannot come a minute too soon, either for these countries or us.
KiTChener and hilleluk like this.
Old 03-06-2018, 16:26   #1797
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
It is a very difficult job under the circumstances of all the ******* bleating. but to me the sun is quite correct (For Once) she said at the very start of her tenure Brexit means Brexit. so unless she is gutless given the objectors then sod em and get on with a proper job of doing it.
Cashy, she has an unenviable job...a job that Coward Cameron abdicated from.
I think that TM is far from gutless, but it has to be recognised that she has so many dissenters and so many barriers have been put in her way that she has not been able to make the progress that would have been hoped.
It s bad enough having to defeat the snakes in the EU, without having to deal with them in your own political party too.
Old 03-06-2018, 16:48   #1798
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Thing is to me if they refuse to let let her, then she should leave her position and then an election would happen. i think someone standing with a clear get out mandate would get in by a Majority, i know quite a few remainers that are sick to the back teeth of these useless sods that will NOT accept the vote of the people in the referendum.Thats my view anyway.
Old 03-06-2018, 18:26   #1799
Beacon of light

TM took the country to a general election hoping that the country would give her a clear mandate on the issues.
In the end, this was a rash move....one that was unnecessary, but the press and the media banged on about her being unelected(remember that Tory coward David Cameron abdicated and she was made PM by default)...so much so that she put herself into a precarious position of having to seek support from the DUP (at some cost).

So she has been toiling up hill, with a sackful of Monkeys(the House of Lords) on her back.

If an election were to take place how would you feel if Corbyn got it?(don't tell me that it couldn't happen...because that man would promise anything to get into number 10)

Who do you see as a successor to TM?
Because, Cashy...I can see absolutely no one with the cojones to slap these remoaning rebels, peers and those who are undermining the best efforts to get things moving.
TM is trying to please too many people...other than the electorate....and there are 17.4 million who want to be out(there might even be more, because a few folk I know who voted to remain have changed their minds after seeing the antics the EU will go to to keep us shackled) those are the people she needs to listen to.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:37   #1800

Hear Hear Margaret, well written and totally true
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..