Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3580Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-12-2018, 09:01   #2191
Beacon of light

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreJoe View Post
I heard that the Prime Minister is thinking about formally changing her name.
To Theresa Maybe.
To be fair to the PM....she has had a very tough time. Many men would have thrown in the towel long before this...like DC did when he heard the result of the referendum...but she hasn't done that.

She is not only fighting the snakes over the channel...she has a basket full of them both in her own government and in other parties too.
The CBI have talked the UK down, the Bank of England's Mark Carney has talked the UK down.....Tony Blair has felt the need to put his twopennorth in, Keir Starmer, Dominic Grieve....the list of those who have spent time in undermining efforts to get out of the EU....undermining the efforts of the PM, are endless.
This is exactly how the EU want it....they want uncertainty, they want confusion, they want division....because it weakens our power to bargain.
Why on earth can these educated people not see this?

So let's give her her due.....you may not like her or what she stands for But you have to admit she has been persistent.

She has gone back to those snakes(because that is her job) to try to get something that is clearly not being offered...negotiation.
You cannot negotiate unless the other party actually WANTS to compromise.
It has been clear from the start that there was never going to be any compromise from the EU side.

She was gifted a poison chalice by the coward David Cameron.
She has done what many others would not even have attempted...she is a Remainer at heart so it cannot be easy to do what the electorate have asked of her.

I hope that her deal crashes and burns, but fair play to her...she has tried.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-12-2018, 09:29   #2192

Hear Hear Margaret, Well written, and totally true
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 11:14   #2193
Beacon of light

Thank you Bea.
I just say it how I see it.
No bullshine for me.
Old 31-12-2018, 12:15   #2194

My mistake.
I was merely offering a humble quip intended to brighten someone's day.
I will try not to sing out of key....Joe Cocker
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 13:31   #2195
Beacon of light

Yes, Morejoe....that is OK....but to be fair I think most of us are a bit disillusioned regarding this topic...but, hey you were not to know that.
MoreJoe likes this.
Old 31-12-2018, 14:33   #2196

In the immortal words of Douglas Adams:
"Don't Panic"
&
"Always know where your towel is"
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 17:36   #2197
Beacon of light

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...s-seized-power
This link is for KestrelX
This is the reason that I voted leave.
The politicians over the years have bamboozled not just the people here, but the people in the countries of Europe....this was always the plan.....that we should be shepherded into a superstate without us ever being aware of what was happening.
We have been manipulated and deviously sucked into this path.
Until 2016 we were never given the opportunity to decide whether we wanted to be socially, financially and politically aligned.
what we joined was a trading organisation....the EU is more than that now and it has morphed in a sinister way.
It is Government by deception....democracy trounced...the people deemed too uneducated, too emotional, too patriotic to make decisions affecting their lives.

Now if you want to hand the running of our country to those unelected mandarins(if they do a crap job, we cannot eject them) in Brussels....I do not.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 31-12-2018 at 17:43.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:07   #2198

Re Seaborne freight who have a contract to provide extra ferry sailings post Brexit -
"One of the companies contracted by the government to charter ferries in the event of a no-deal Brexit does not own any ships, has not previously operated a ferry service and is not planning to do so until close to the UK’s scheduled departure date from the European Union."

I' ve got headache
- Mark
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:09   #2199
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
Re Seaborne freight who have a contract to provide extra ferry sailings post Brexit -
"One of the companies contracted by the government to charter ferries in the event of a no-deal Brexit does not own any ships, has not previously operated a ferry service and is not planning to do so until close to the UK’s scheduled departure date from the European Union."

I' ve got headache
- Mark
Its no big deal. they dont get any brass until they prove the service i heard yesterday.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:38   #2200
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post

I' ve got headache
- Mark
ex dodgy chairman of hartlepool united involved in it. thank goodness for andy holt.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:40   #2201
Beacon of light

This is all smoke and mirrors stuff.
The government are doing a bit of their own project fear. This is in order to get the crappy deal we have been offered,rubber stamped by MP's and accepted as an acceptable deal by the electorate.

They are trying to tell us that the Dover route for freight will be adversely affected by a No deal scenario...that there will be severe shortages.
This is bull dust.
Very little freight and goods arrives in this country via Dover.
Most of the goods we rely on come via other ports and they are capable of dealing with a no deal scenario.
How do I know this....a cousin of mine is a customs officer at Felixstowe....he tells me not to listen to the stuff we are being fed by the government and the media....as it is not true.

Now I am not saying that things will be trouble free, but it is not the picture that the government are painting.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:09   #2202
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

Now I am not saying that things will be trouble free, but it is not the picture that the government are painting.
the longer i keep reading stuff like this it really does make me wonder how we all actually survived never mind lived before the common market and the EU. well i would not have the pick of 100,s of wines and had my life enriched by all the experiances i,ve had over the years. yes EU thanks a bunch.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:38   #2203
Beacon of light

Of course you would have had the wines and the experiences. They might have been different wines, different experiences.

You have to remember that way back when the EU was formulated, the world was coming out of a long and bloody conflict.
(The EU was seen as being the solution to future peace. It was also sold to us as a trading organisation....but then that was the plan....draw the suckers in, let them believe this is for economic purposes....but the plan was always to ensure political union at a later date....rule by oligarchy, not democracy)
There was not the disposable income back then, people had simple expectations that matched the finances they had.
But to think that unless we belong to an undemocratic(and it is undemocratic for a reason....and if you have read the Frederick Forsyth piece you will know what that reason is.
If you haven't read it then I would recommend it to you. It will clarify many things)organisation that takes the sovereignty of its members and trashes them, then I am sorry to say I think you are misguided.
Do you think that Spain, France, Greece, Portugal will want to turn away tourists who wish to spend their money in those countries, will turn these visitors away?

Some of these countries economies rely on visitors.
Do you think that Italy, Portugal, Spain, Greece will refuse to sell their wine to us....?and if by chance they did there are the New World wines which I am led to believe are more than a match for some European wines.

For me, if it meant that I could never again drink a drop of wine produced in an EU country, or set foot on their soil....it would not cause me a moment's distress.

I want to be out...right out, not this Hokey-Cokey half in half out thing that is proposed.
Less and KiTChener like this.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:20   #2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Of course you would have had the wines and the experiences. They might have been different wines, different experiences.

Not sure it would have been that different, the Chinese, Tai, Indian take-aways didn't come from the EU. Nor did the Caliifornian and many other wines. In fact on the food and drink side I cannot think of much that has arrived as a result of EU membership. Greek food was here before they joined, Pizza's from American franchises.
Less and Margaret Pilkington like this.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:50   #2205
Beacon of light

We have sleep walked into a situation that is hand cuffing us to servitude to a foreign nation,that does not have the interests of the UK or its people at its core.
We are an island nation with a proud heritage.
That is not to say that we do not welcome others, but we do not welcome being taken over.
I do not want to be a serf to The EU.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..