Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3580Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2019, 16:30   #2371
Beacon of light

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

It is a ploy used by those who want to close down a discussion(usually because they have no better argument for their case) call someone, rascist, thick, ill educated...put any adjective you like in the space.

You do not need to name call...that is playground stuff....you need to up your argument.

And there was one MP who said that the voters were too ill educated(or maybe he said that they 'did not understand...it boils down to the same thing)....let me try and think of who he represents....oh it is coming to me now...Hyndburn.
monkey hanger likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-02-2019, 16:45   #2372
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Proportional representation has not been implemented because it is felt that the electorate is too dim to understand the principle....it would mean casting a vote for candidates in order of your preference....and they think we are too thick to get this....
Margaret, I respect your view on Proprtional Representation, and suspect, eventually, it will come in. However, we great unwashed actually got a referendum on proportional representation in 2011. It was Nick Clegg’s Xmess present from his pal, Dave. The public voted by 67% to 32% against it!
Less and Margaret Pilkington like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 17:16   #2373
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
The public voted by 67% to 32% against it!
That's a majority vote I wonder why it wasn't ignored, the referendum was.
monkey hanger likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 17:39   #2374
God Member

On a slightly different note, is it just me who thinks that the labour & Tory MP's who have resigned from their respective party's should also resign as an MP?
Surely, they can't just toddle off & create their own little independent party as that's not what their constituents voted them in as. To my mind, they should all resign & there should be by-elections in each of their constituencies.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 18:05   #2375
Beacon of light

Accymad...see my post number 2369.
It says exactly that.
Old 21-02-2019, 18:12   #2376
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Margaret, I respect your view on Proprtional Representation, and suspect, eventually, it will come in. However, we great unwashed actually got a referendum on proportional representation in 2011. It was Nick Clegg’s Xmess present from his pal, Dave. The public voted by 67% to 32% against it!
Yes, I remember it well.
I think it has to come eventually...though I may not be around to see it.

I don't think it was explained well enough.(I think the nuts and bolts of the system may have put some people off...after all everyone understands the concept of first past the post)...and until you have had several wishy washy governments because there is no workable majority, perhaps it does not seem important.
Perhaps the electorate are so disaffected that they will swallow absolutely any kind of rubbish government rather than change the system to something that would lead to better representation and be fairer.
Where there are several parties trying to get into government....the current system is unfair and in no way represents the votes of the electorate.
Old 21-02-2019, 18:17   #2377
Beacon of light

Less, it is only democracy if they agree with the result...and they obviously did.
After all what chance had the Lib Dems of getting into government unless the system for voting was flawed and unfair.
Old 21-02-2019, 21:55   #2378
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Accymad...see my post number 2369.
It says exactly that.
Oops, sorry Margaret - must've missed that
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 22:09   #2379
Beacon of light

It's Ok....I am just glad someone else has the same ideas as me.
Old 25-02-2019, 14:59   #2380
God Member

[QUOTE=AccyMad;1224519]On a slightly different note, is it just me who thinks that the labour & Tory MP's who have resigned from their respective party's should also resign as an MP?

its certainly happened in the past where MP,s have changed parties but i think they have to actually wait till there is a general election before they can be voted out.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 15:20   #2381
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1224719]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
On a slightly different note, is it just me who thinks that the labour & Tory MP's who have resigned from their respective party's should also resign as an MP?

its certainly happened in the past where MP,s have changed parties but i think they have to actually wait till there is a general election before they can be voted out.
Was under impression if they resign,from their parties,then there has to be a By-Election? if thats correct this gutless scum should do so imho.
Less and monkey hanger like this.
Old 26-02-2019, 11:33   #2382

I wonder?

Would it be possible for us to take the U.K. to the court of human rights?

After all, not adhering to the democratic result of the referendum is against it's citizens human rights isn't it?

Not only that but, why has the E.U. not been up in arms telling them that it is wrong not to stick with the majority, they soon get onto their pedestal if they think the human rights of an illegal immigrant or a life term serving murderer are infringed, why can't they do the same for us?
Old 26-02-2019, 11:52   #2383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I wonder?

Would it be possible for us to take the U.K. to the court of human rights?

After all, not adhering to the democratic result of the referendum is against it's citizens human rights isn't it?

Not only that but, why has the E.U. not been up in arms telling them that it is wrong not to stick with the majority, they soon get onto their pedestal if they think the human rights of an illegal immigrant or a life term serving murderer are infringed, why can't they do the same for us?
Oh, you simplistic fool Less,

allow me to explain, the lawyers and other such officials are making too much money by being in the E.U. and representing these poor put down people so you and the rest of your fellow citizens wouldn't be able to find one to represent you and take on the case.
Old 26-02-2019, 15:53   #2384
Beacon of light

Got it in one Less.
You can be milk monitor this week.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:05   #2385
Senior Member+

I see MP’s that can’t agree on Brexit had no trouble on agreeing another pay rise of £2000
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..