Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3580Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2020, 23:59   #3511
Full Member+

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

That made me smile too.... Terry Christian was on the news or trending on Twitter the other day
Old 30-01-2020, 06:20   #3512
Beacon of light

Yes, he is an odious little man....talking about pensioners dying....flipping heck he is 59, so not exactly the youth he thinks he is.

I have heard nothing like the vitriol spewed by the remainers, being spouted by those who voted to leave.

Someone said to me the other day 'what's the difference between a jet engine and a remainer?
The jet engine stops whining when it gets to its destination'
That made me smile too.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 10:12   #3513

Terry Christian 59 ? ...maybe physically but more the mental age of a 9 year old spoilt brat.
If ever someone was counter productive to their own argument then it's surely that clown.

Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 12:12   #3514
God Member

Presumably this is the kind of world Christian (surely the most ironic surname for such a misanthrope?) wants to inhabit.

https://facts4eu.org/news/2020_jan_rank_eu_hypocrisy
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 14:39   #3515
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Clitheroe View Post
Terry Christian 59 ? ...maybe physically but more the mental age of a 9 year old spoilt brat.
If ever someone was counter productive to their own argument then it's surely that clown.

I cannot abide this man.
He thinks we should all have the same opinions that he has...he has no time for any other view and is intolerant....does tha sound like facist to you....because it does to me.

His star(if he ever had one) is on the wane and antics like this raise his public profile....but not in a good way.
Old 30-01-2020, 14:40   #3516
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Presumably this is the kind of world Christian (surely the most ironic surname for such a misanthrope?) wants to inhabit.

https://facts4eu.org/news/2020_jan_rank_eu_hypocrisy
That about sums it up.
Old 30-01-2020, 18:52   #3517
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Whats occured to me, im sure one day the young will grow up, and be a damn site wiser ( i did myself) and they will come to understand why people voted to leave this unholy mess.
KiTChener likes this.
Old 30-01-2020, 21:11   #3518
Beacon of light

I am not entirely sure about that Cashy...they are being educated in a way that seems to prevent them from using their brains...they are NOT being taught how to think, how to critically analyse...thay are being taugh what to think by people who have their own dystopian agenda's
Old 30-01-2020, 22:08   #3519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am not entirely sure about that Cashy...they are being educated in a way that seems to prevent them from using their brains...they are NOT being taught how to think, how to critically analyse...thay are being taugh what to think by people who have their own dystopian agenda's

The generational divide widened when pocket calculators came out. Children no longer needed to know how to do arithmetic. It widened again when the Web became widely available, now you just look up the answer(s) they are ranked in order of popularity (or are they?).

Last edited by Hill Walker; 30-01-2020 at 22:10. Reason: improved clarity
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 22:22   #3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Walker View Post
The generational divide widened when pocket calculators came out. Children no longer needed to know how to do arithmetic. It widened again when the Web became widely available, now you just look up the answer(s) they are ranked in order of popularity (or are they?).
..don't forget decimalisation too - made it all too bloody easy and encouraged laziness. 12 pennies in a bob, 20 shillings to a pound, half a crown at 2/6d. You had to be sharper to cope with a currency like that. Kilograms, Kilometres all mean nothing to me - I still have to convert them to proper measures for them to mean anything. Thank God we got out now or in another decade we'd be spending billions on road signs in km, changing over to the Euro and probably end up driving on the other side of the road - all at a massive cost to us while still funding the rest of the EU.
KiTChener likes this.
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 09:52   #3521
Beacon of light

The current education system is totally different.
The children are doing stuff at primary school that I did not come across until secondary school....we did not get homework at primary school.

I consider that my education during my school years was sub standard...except, it was suitable for the time....and they were really only educating us to be factory fodder.

Now children are being taught to pass exams, but not really to think broadly...or to question WHAT they are being fed....or WHY they are being taught to think only as those in power want them to think....there has been a serious dumbing down of minds.

This is because those who do not think broadly are easier to control and manipulate.

The internet is a double edged sword....it gives people like me the ability to educate ourselves....but it is also insidious in that it can indoctrinate if you do not analyse what you are being told...and ask yourself the pertinent questions.

I am still learning, still have not got my Masters degree in the University of Life.
Old 31-01-2020, 22:43   #3522
Full Member+

Well, that's it we are now no longer a part of the EU....
Old 01-02-2020, 08:46   #3523
God Member

But we’ve got to stay alert for another year.
Institutional Remoaners in Parliament, the Civil Service, the judiciary, the metropolitan media, and corporate business will spend this year trying their damndest to continue to frustrate cutting the chains that have bound us to the EU Empire.
But, so far, what a historic victory for ordinary people against the establishment and for democracy itself.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:51   #3524
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Many of the So-called "Establishment" will do everything they can in next 11 months to frighten people into wanting a second referendum im pretty sure of that BEWARE.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:10   #3525
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 View Post
Well, that's it we are now no longer a part of the EU....
Is ther a little hint of anti climax there Ryewolf

I have to say that I never usually stay up to see the New Year in....and for us this is something of a New Year(or maybe a new dawn).....but last night I watched the minutes tick by as we approached the door to our freedom.
And in truth although we are not IN the EU anymore we are not yet completely free.
There were times in the last three+ years that I thought it was all going to fold.
So I feel quietly pleased that we have at last had our vote honoured.
Gremlin likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..