Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3580Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2016, 11:01   #361

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Something else the Remain are trying to hide from the electorate --------
There is also the German plan to create an EU Army - under their command of course, which would mean our military came under EU control (German & French), rather than being an integral (and major), part of NATO.
Let me out, the lunatics are definitely running the asylum.
Conversely, I would think the Remain camp could use that as a reason to stay in order to Veto any move where the EU Commission could make a botch up of the Defence of Europe. There are 28 EU members and 28 NATO members. If the EU member countries left NATO that would just leave the UK, Canada and the USA in NATO.

I've just had a look to see who are members of NATO and was surprised to see France is back in the fold as I know they left in 1967 to take control of their own defence, which was when NATO moved its HQ from Paris to the Netherlands. I reckon France has persuaded Mrs Merkel that the EU should have an integral defence force.

On the subject of France, I was speaking to a neighbour whose son lives in a French village which has recently had a refugee camp built alongside it to house some 4,000 souls. Apparently the villagrs are up in arms that it was built there but also up in arms about the manner in which their daughters and other women folk are treated by some elements of the male refugees.
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-05-2016, 17:38   #362
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysgirl View Post
Conversely, I would think the Remain camp could use that as a reason to stay in order to Veto any move where the EU Commission could make a botch up of the Defence of Europe. There are 28 EU members and 28 NATO members. If the EU member countries left NATO that would just leave the UK, Canada and the USA in NATO.

I've just had a look to see who are members of NATO and was surprised to see France is back in the fold as I know they left in 1967 to take control of their own defence, which was when NATO moved its HQ from Paris to the Netherlands. I reckon France has persuaded Mrs Merkel that the EU should have an integral defence force.
It is unlikely that many of the the EU countries would want to withdraw from NATO - they would lose considerable finance paid by the US to maintain bases and personnel in their countries and the defence umbrella would no longer cover them - The NATO creed is that an attack on any NATO country is an attack on the whole of NATO.
Cost is another significant factor - how much would countries have to spend on defence if they are without the support provided by the USA, UK and Canada.

Last edited by Neil; 10-05-2016 at 22:14. Reason: fix quote
Barrie Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:54   #363
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Here we go, a Deutscher (obviously a nazi with comments like these) who'll have the raging lefties frothing!

Former Finance Minister: Migrants Are Drag On Economy
Well we were in Koln on sat dave, Bonn on sunday, spoke to quite a few krauts about Brexit, and most we spoke to thought "THEY" would also like to come out.
Old 09-05-2016, 19:37   #364
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well we were in Koln on sat dave, Bonn on sunday, spoke to quite a few krauts about Brexit, and most we spoke to thought "THEY" would also like to come out.
I know Cashy, there's quite a few Germans who I've spoken with who'd love to see the back of the EU, Merkel put against a wall or strung up from a lampost & a return to the DM.

Did youse do the touristy bit round the "Dom" & is the Irish pub still round the corner from it?
Old 09-05-2016, 20:28   #365

I suppose the bottom line is whether we want to be governed by twits from Brussels or idiots from Westminster. As someone who loves visiting mainland Europe I think I'll vote to come out. Certainly don't rate the EEC.
Monsieurgrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:33   #366
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I know Cashy, there's quite a few Germans who I've spoken with who'd love to see the back of the EU, Merkel put against a wall or strung up from a lampost & a return to the DM.

Did youse do the touristy bit round the "Dom" & is the Irish pub still round the corner from it?
noticed a couple of irish pubs dave at the weekend, god knows were they are though. Merkel was not very popular at all wi those we spoke too.
Old 10-05-2016, 15:05   #367

The farce here is that Cameron offered this referendum as part of his election campaign..Vote for us and I promise you an election on EEc membership.Surely the thinking behind this was vote Tory and you brexit lot can have a vote to get us out..of Europe.

If he has such passion absolute staying in why offer the Brexit vote in the first instance He has conned the Brexit lot into voting Tory with no intention whatsover of assisting them..

My view is one on staying in but Thatcher style...For all her faults,everyone since her has let Europe Walk all over us..Weak representation in fighting our corner ever since her infamous No! No! No!shoe.or hand bagging thumping episode..whatever it was..Poland etc all fight for their own interest with a passion ..We nice Brits simply dont..
JC4LAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 16:22   #368
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Sorry, just dont get yer drift, they were walking all oer us when that bitch was in power, its nowt new.
Old 10-05-2016, 17:41   #369
Beacon of light

The EU(not the defunct EEC) has abosolutely NO intention of reforming in any way shape or form.
The stance against the UK shows that most clearly....and as for the suggestion of someone strong to go in and do some table thumping....just who do you suggest is up to that task?
None of the current politicians in ANY of the parties has anything which resembles a backbone.
I am sure this is purely because it means much less work, less hassle and an easier life all round for them to remain as we are...under the thumb of those unelected bureaucrats in Brussels.
It gives someone to pass the buck to when the policies that they trumpet fail....someone other than their dim witted selves to blame for all the problems that THEY should be sorting out....that they are getting PAID to sort out.

The EU does not want a democracy...they want to be able to dictate terms and conditions and have us all follow like sheep(to the slaughter).
ENOUGH.....GET US OUT!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 19:28   #370
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC4LAB View Post
My view is one on staying in but Thatcher style...
Staying in isn't an option, Maggie nads or not! We've come to far down the line to expect any change or concessions that we really want or need the rot goes to deep. Out is the only way, we can then present our case for trade, migration & cooperation with other nations on our terms, take 'em or leave 'em! If it's not in our interests, well, we can go elsewhere.
Less and Margaret Pilkington like this.
Old 10-05-2016, 19:43   #371
Beacon of light

The EU are taking the pish. David Cameron is taking the pish......together they want us to believe that we cannot make our way in the world without the EU......what they should be saying is that IF the UK leaves the EU, then the whole sorry mess will tumble down like a house of cards.The EU was a political and social experiment that has long outlived its usefulness...it has become too big to be efficient, and it really does not care what the member nations want or need....it just lives to justify its existence....and to pay greedy bureaucrats and politicians vast sums of money for stuff that is of little consequence. It is a self serving organisation, badly run, badly managed and it is past the time to get out.
DaveinGermany and hilleluk like this.
Old 10-05-2016, 22:13   #372
Senior Member+

If we do see sense and leave then within the following year I would not be surprised to see the EU really start falling apart with the SE countries, Greece, Hungary & Austria possibly leading the way.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:12   #373
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
If we do see sense and leave then within the following year I would not be surprised to see the EU really start falling apart with the SE countries, Greece, Hungary & Austria possibly leading the way.
I can't see the weaker Countries being the instigators for a collapse, they rely to heavily on the EU subsidies to start kicking off, more likely the bigger economies who are left to stump up for the UKs missing contributions will be the ones with twitchy hoops & wanting to do one.

Still, what do I know, I'm just one of the uneducated plebs who doesn't know what's best for me or my Country!
Old 11-05-2016, 06:17   #374
Beacon of light

Quote:
Still, what do I know, I'm just one of the uneducated plebs who doesn't know what's best for me or my Country!
That is what they would like you to think.
Don't play into their hands!
Old 12-05-2016, 05:31   #375
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
That is what they would like you to think.
Don't play into their hands!
No intentions too Ma.

Looks like I'll be sitting down with a couple of cool ones & some popcorn Friday evening & enjoying the flic.

Brexit The Movie reveals terrifying TRUTH about anti-democratic EU | Politics | News | Daily Express

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..