Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3580Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2016, 17:38   #451
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Indeed I believe I copied a president that didn't duck quick enough with that comment, when stood against the wall myself I hope my sacrifice will be just as worthy.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-05-2016, 18:01   #452
Beacon of light

Less, you will be alright...as long as they are only firing at you with doughnuts
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 18:06   #453
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
That comment always makes me grin!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_%28doughnut%29

That's why.
Don't forget Berliner Kindl DinG - wrapped myself around a lot of those whilst in Berlin - the Western Zone
Old 18-05-2016, 18:42   #454
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Don't forget Berliner Kindl DinG
How could I? Gopping stuff! No wonder the Germings have it with "Schuß"!
Old 20-05-2016, 02:22   #455

Even with light entertainment programmes, it's getting harder to miss a passing reference to the Referendum because after a discussion about a book, a play, a cow in calf, etc., the interviewer now asks, "and before you go, have a you a view on the Referendum".

Watching Paxman was always a must, so in anticipation of seeing him raise the proverbial Sword Of Damocles over the heads of the Leaders of the EU in Brussels I anticipated I'd be needing my own trusty Charger for the hour (my sofa) and razor sharp rapier (my tongue to make cutting remarks). A bit of a let down, as the fiery Paxman of old didn't appear, instead was an old, laid back, chap asking mild questions.

I was taken aback by how large the Brussels HQ buildings are - they'll definitely be taking a fair bit of our money just to pay for the running and maintenance of the building never mind the staff. I'd read in UK papers that we employ ten thousand people but the online German newspaper Der Spiegel numbers them at thirty-three thousand! An Inside Look at the European Commission - SPIEGEL ONLINE

I found myself accepting the explanation of the stupid "straight banana and cucumber" regulation that came into being solely because they had been grouped in a long greengrocery list. Those of us who buy from a greengrocer know that there's often a sign that says "Class A", etc. which means long gone are the days when you'd buy (say) a bag of spuds containing a few clods of earth and possibly evidence of a wireworm grub enjoying being housed in a potato.

I remember hearing reports year after year that the auditors hadn't signed off the EU accounts but it's been kept quiet that they've been signed off every year since 2007 - I've just surfed to see if that's the case and found this explanation written in 2014 :- "The European Court of Auditors (ECA), an EU body set up to examine the accounts of the Union, signed off on the 2014 accounts as reliable—something it's done for every set of figures since 2007. But it did find that payments made were materially affected by error." ... the explanation for a 2% "error" is explained on this webpage:-
https://fullfact.org/europe/did-audi...ign-eu-budget/

I think the billion people in the EU knows that that Body splashes money about like it's going out of fashion and it's got to stop. It's not right that EU civil servants are paid more than our own MPs and Prime Minister. Here's an idea of the starting Salaries, Expenses and pensions:- Permanent officials

It's horrendous to think that one PM actually waived and gave away our discount which means we could be paying around Ł350million per week. The webpage below states with discount we pay about Ł250million a week.
https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-m...ee-55-million/

Also on Independent TV news tonight was a piece which showed two small companies; one company boss is voting to exit, the other is voting to stay in. The latter has a healthy order book for furniture fabric. Of a straw poll taken of some of his workers most will be voting to exit. The owner of the fabric company says he has a healthy trade in the EU and would have voted to exit but changed his mind after one incident. This being that he'd decided to promote his business in South America. He was successful in getting an order but had problems getting his order to S.America via France (probably striking French workers?). If you look at the airline routes on this map of the world you can see that there's only one direct flight from Heathrow to Brazil (the red line on the map). All flights to other South American countries have to go from the UK via Europe and thus via France (the blue lines). Presumably the fabric manufacturer is frightened he'll lose some/most/all of his EU customer base if we exit and French workers could jeopardise any other overseas trade. (I bet once he sees the TV programme he'll be having a word with his employees lol). oneworld Online Timetable
Alan Varrechia likes this.
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 08:54   #456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
From what you say and the way you say it I take it that a logical discussion is, unfortunately out of the question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post

(And imo this makes a change for Less to have reasoned comment - lol)

Thank you for your most informed reply to my question.
Old 20-05-2016, 18:23   #457

OMG! Just realised that I'd not be covered by the EHCR when going abroad, what happens if I become ill etc over the pond?

Good job I don't do that too often.
lol
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 18:33   #458
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

yer not really covered now. when you need medical attention these days, the first thing they ask you for is yer credit card. FACT it happened to us.
Old 20-05-2016, 23:50   #459
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
OMG! Just realised that I'd not be covered by the EHCR when going abroad, what happens if I become ill etc over the pond?

Good job I don't do that too often.
lol
If by "going over the pond" you mean the Atlantic the European Health Card isn't going to be much use - USA & Canada aren't involved with the European
Health System - you need to take out private health insurance. On my many trips there my US Company always provided American Express Health insurance - otherwise health care over there could easily spoil you trip.
Old 21-05-2016, 08:15   #460
Beacon of light

Jean Claude Junker, President of The European Commission has waded in and said the the EU will make life 'hell' for the UK if it decides to leave.

He has also thrown doubt on the ability of the EU to facilitate the reforms that David Cameron thinks he has secured.
This is from the Times newspaper....not one of the red tops....the story is also covered by Beitbart. The Telegraph, the Express and various other news papers also carry this story.

If any proof were needed that we are an inconsequential part of the EU when it comes to our opinions, but only required to cough up the dough and shut up about all that is wrong with the EU....then this must rank highly as being it!
hilleluk likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 21-05-2016 at 08:23.
Old 21-05-2016, 08:34   #461
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

That comment could turn out to be a good thing for the leave campaign imho, the British have never taken kindly to threats, as the second world war will tell us. so yeh just never know.
hilleluk likes this.
Old 21-05-2016, 10:04   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Jean Claude Junker, President of The European Commission has waded in and said the the EU will make life 'hell' for the UK if it decides to leave.

He has also thrown doubt on the ability of the EU to facilitate the reforms that David Cameron thinks he has secured.
This is from the Times newspaper....not one of the red tops....the story is also covered by Beitbart. The Telegraph, the Express and various other news papers also carry this story.

If any proof were needed that we are an inconsequential part of the EU when it comes to our opinions, but only required to cough up the dough and shut up about all that is wrong with the EU....then this must rank highly as being it!
Well that convinces me, I'm going to vote stay, I always give in to bullies.
Old 21-05-2016, 10:16   #463
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Well that convinces me, I'm going to vote stay, I always give in to bullies.
Yeh swine i just slipped in the bull****.
Old 21-05-2016, 10:29   #464

Yet more frightening news:-
EU referendum: George Osborne warns Brexit could see value of homes fall by a fifth*

Which you would think would be good for first time buyers, but the artical also manages to put the frighteners on them as well.
Old 21-05-2016, 10:30   #465
Beacon of light

Now Cashy...if you swallowed what Less has just said...what other grabage are you guilty of swallowing?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..