Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3580Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2017, 15:01   #1291
Beacon of light

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

I'll drink to that Retlaw.
That is just my kind of deal.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-07-2017, 07:59   #1292
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Michel Barnier is asking that any EU migrant who stays in the U.K. after Brexit be entitled to claim child benefit for children NOT resident here....and to be allowed to send this money home.

only goes to show what the EU club really is. need to get out as quickly as we can before other things crop up. for me they need us a lot more than we need them.

Last edited by Neil; 24-07-2017 at 15:12. Reason: fix quote
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 18:16   #1293
God Member

Did we ever get reparations for the destruction wrought on this country in WW2? Seem to recall we were left to repay debts to the USA for several decades, whilst at least one half of Germany got its entire industrial base rebuilt by the same country.
And I don't imagine we submitted any invoices for helping to liberate Belgium, Holland, Denmark, and France.
Maybe we could run up a few £Billion in you-owe-us and stick 'em on the table?
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 07:50   #1294
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Did we ever get reparations for the destruction wrought on this country in WW2? Seem to recall we were left to repay debts to the USA for several decades, whilst at least one half of Germany got its entire industrial base rebuilt by the same country.
don,t think it was anything to do with money after the war. more like a fear of communism spreading further west that caused the industrial german base being brought back to life. probebly the same reason the yanks ploughed money into japan with a chinese threat nearby.

Last edited by Neil; 26-07-2017 at 12:14. Reason: fix quote
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 14:20   #1295
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
don,t think it was anything to do with money after the war. more like a fear of communism spreading further west that caused the industrial german base being brought back to life. probebly the same reason the yanks ploughed money into japan with a chinese threat nearby.
You are correct in that the Allies wanted to create a buffer zone against the USSR. The US did effectively the same with Japan but that was to stop the USSR again, they had designs and in fact USSR did not declare war on Japan until quite late in the war. The communists didn't complete the takeover of China until after the surrender of Japan and Germany.
Old 26-07-2017, 17:31   #1296
God Member

Yes, most of us know why the US rebuilt their former enemies.
But the point was that the UK was left bankrupt in 1945, having spent its last shilling on helping to defend Europe (and elsewhere).
Unlike these modern-day, money-grubbing, expenses-fiddling Eurocrats, the U.K. didn't demand billions from our continental 'partners' for that expensive episode.
Old 26-07-2017, 17:50   #1297
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Yes, most of us know why the US rebuilt their former enemies.
But the point was that the UK was left bankrupt in 1945, having spent its last shilling on helping to defend Europe (and elsewhere).
Unlike these modern-day, money-grubbing, expenses-fiddling Eurocrats, the U.K. didn't demand billions from our continental 'partners' for that expensive episode.
Of course what is often forgotten is that America wrote off the lend lease debts, so that they could lend us money to rebuild, that was the loan we spent many years paying off.
Had they (the Americans) been greedy they could have claimed us as one of their colonies because we were worse than skint and they owned everything.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 22:11   #1298
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I wonder how many of them are already gettin benefits for their children in their home country as well. Good on you David Davies stick to you guns. Best brexit would be to chuck a fiver ont table and say thats it were out as from now, just remember 1918 & 1945, you met your match then, you can meet it again if you want.
Just had more thoughts on this Brexit do after reading today paper, they want this and won't budge on that, best thing we can do it treat the EU like the brothel it is, zip thi flies up chuck a few quid ont table, an tell um thas ed better else where. They've bin doing it us for years
hilleluk likes this.

Last edited by Retlaw; 27-07-2017 at 22:13.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 10:42   #1299
Beacon of light

I have no experience of brothels, but it was my impression that in such establishments you got your hearts desire..no matter how unsavoury that might be.
Old 03-08-2017, 17:36   #1300
God Member

Quote:
Did we ever get reparations for the destruction wrought on this country in WW2?:
Read in one of the daily papers that the Polish government is threatening to send a bill for WW2 reparations to Frau Merkel.
Old 03-08-2017, 18:00   #1301
Beacon of light

I also read in one of the papers yesterday that there was rioting in Poland over the Warning the Eu has doled out about their constitution...and the way the judicial system works.
They are also infuriated about being told to take more of the refugees/migrants

I can't find the article that i read yesterday, but this link gives the gist of it.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-court-changes.

It really is time that the EU sat up and took notice of the unrest among its' members.

Italy is threatening to give thousands of incomers temporary visas which would mean that these men(they are mostly men) would have the right to travel freely in the Schengen Zone.
Old 03-08-2017, 18:32   #1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I also read in one of the papers yesterday that there was rioting in Poland over the Warning the Eu has doled out about their constitution...and the way the judicial system works.
They are also infuriated about being told to take more of the refugees/migrants

I can't find the article that i read yesterday, but this link gives the gist of it.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-court-changes.

It really is time that the EU sat up and took notice of the unrest among its' members.

Italy is threatening to give thousands of incomers temporary visas which would mean that these men(they are mostly men) would have the right to travel freely in the Schengen Zone.

So, maybe we should have a new referendum?

One that includes all the members of the E.U. that are upset with how the main powers ignore their problems, such as legal/illegal immigration, not being allowed to act in ones own interest (unless you are a French or German official), well, you know, the sort of stuff most sane folk have discussed on here over the past 5 years.
Old 03-08-2017, 18:49   #1303
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
So, maybe we should have a new referendum?

One that includes all the members of the E.U. that are upset with how the main powers ignore their problems, such as legal/illegal immigration, not being allowed to act in ones own interest (unless you are a French or German official), well, you know, the sort of stuff most sane folk have discussed on here over the past 5 years.
Not we- The rest of the E.U. were out the damn thing by vote.
Old 03-08-2017, 19:27   #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Not we- The rest of the E.U. were out the damn thing by vote.
Most things you say make immediate sense, the above I just don't understand????
Old 03-08-2017, 19:31   #1305
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Most things you say make immediate sense, the above I just don't understand????
We have no need at all for one in my view out and stopping out as far as i'm concerned, the rest can make their own minds up about a corrupt, bullying organization,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..