Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3580Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2017, 11:29   #1321

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

The only way we will have to have another Referendum is if the opposition parties in the House of Commons put every obstacle in the way to scupper a deal.
This was a Democratic vote to come out of the EU, It's about time these MP's do as we have asked them to do. After all, we, the tax payers pay there inflated salaries
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-08-2017, 12:40   #1322
Beacon of light

So Do I.

I have just been reading that old Vince Cable has been running off at the mouth about us oldies 'shafting' the young of this country by our vote to leave the EU.
I think he has got it very wrong...we have shafted nobody.
Those younger folk had a vote to use..if they did not use it for whatever reason, then shame on them and they have to live with the consequences.
I really think it was MY generation that was shafted....by those lying politicians who told the folk of this country that the Common Market(as it was then) was just a trading organisation....and all those who came after and COULD have asked the population what they thought, but didn't because it was a very lucrative gravy train to jump onto when a political career was over.

Those remoaners are the ones who will be least affected by the changes that free movement gives(well apart from low paid cleaners, au pairs and nannies for their children).
As things stand we do not know WHO is here so we have little chance of getting them to go home even if that was on the cards(which it isn't).
I wish they would just get on with it...shut the door, tell them they can whistle for their divorce settlement and let's set sail for a future where we can sterr our own course.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:52   #1323
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilleluk View Post
The only way we will have to have another Referendum is if the opposition parties in the House of Commons put every obstacle in the way to scupper a deal.
This was a Democratic vote to come out of the EU, It's about time these MP's do as we have asked them to do. After all, we, the tax payers pay there inflated salaries
when have politicians actually do what those who elected them want from a local issue to brexit. before the reforendum most MP,s of all parties wanted us to stay in. just another job for failed politicians like the kinnock,s to carry on their trade. the public gave them a thumbs down to the EU. it wasn,t a massive thumbs down but it was one. the problem will be the opposition parties may band together with the stay in tory brigade to scupper a deal. for a politician to vote for brexit was like a turkey voting for christmas.
KiTChener and cashman like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:05   #1324
Beacon of light

Not only our own lily livered politicians are getting in the way of what the electorate asked for, but also the Brussels bureaucrats are also throwing up obstacles and then claiming we are being belligerent and uncompromising. Much of it has to do with the civil servants on that side of the channel and those over here too...they don't want to lose lucrative salaries.
The in-fighting in the political parties makes Brussels think that the will is not there to see this through.

I would rather have no deal than a rough deal.

I do not want to be in the position of Norway...being neither in nor out and yet paying for the privilege(what privilege would that be then?) and no voting rights...not that being able to vote on issues has done us any favours, we haven't won a vote yet.
They need our trade far more than we need to trade with the EU.
Only something like 37% of goods and services are sold to the Eu and the Eu prevents us from effectively trading with other countries which are not in this dysfunctional 'club'

The EU is Squit scared that we will leave a gaping hole in their coffers and that Germany and France will be landed with picking up the costs.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:22   #1325
God Member

margaret, you know what you wrote makes sense, i know it does but why don,t the politicians of all parties know. for me its a matter of what,s in it for a lot of them now or in the future. democracy, they must be joking.
KiTChener and DaveinGermany like this.
Old 08-08-2017, 13:17   #1326
Beacon of light

I really don't know Monkey Hanger.
I rather believe that the politicians think they are better than us...that they can do pretty much as they please when they have got your vote...that it doesn't matter if we don't like what they do they are secure in their position for at least five years and theirs is a very well paid occupation.
Yes, I think money and power matter to them more than doing right by their constituents.
It is 'What can I get out of this job...rather than what can I do to make lives better for those who gave me their vote. I think that may of them see us as ill educated mugs and morons.
KiTChener and monkey hanger like this.
Old 08-08-2017, 16:08   #1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I really don't know Monkey Hanger.
I rather believe that the politicians think they are better than us...that they can do pretty much as they please when they have got your vote...that it doesn't matter if we don't like what they do they are secure in their position for at least five years and theirs is a very well paid occupation.
Yes, I think money and power matter to them more than doing right by their constituents.
It is 'What can I get out of this job...rather than what can I do to make lives better for those who gave me their vote. I think that may of them see us as ill educated mugs and morons.
Margaret, I'm sure, like me, you realise that the days are gone when someone made their fortune in whatever business, normally by the time they were 50-ish, then decided to put something back into the community by standing for election as the local MP.

These guys were so well respected, and went on to successfully look after their constituency, mostly until they passed away!
Compare that with these so-called career politicians, who seem to enter Parliament at ever so younger ages, (eg, the 21yr old SNP who quit after two years)!

It is now obvious, from recent history, that the likes of Mr A B Liar, & Cameroon, just do not have the 'life' experience to govern this great country of ours.

Unfortunately, like you, Cashman, and many others on here, we are no longer in a position to stand for election.... if we were all 20 years younger, we could form a considerable alliance & defeat all those that would do our country down!
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 17:19   #1328
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTChener View Post
Margaret, I'm sure, like me, you realise that the days are gone when someone made their fortune in whatever business, normally by the time they were 50-ish, then decided to put something back into the community by standing for election as the local MP.

These guys were so well respected, and went on to successfully look after their constituency, mostly until they passed away!
Compare that with these so-called career politicians, who seem to enter Parliament at ever so younger ages, (eg, the 21yr old SNP who quit after two years)!

It is now obvious, from recent history, that the likes of Mr A B Liar, & Cameroon, just do not have the 'life' experience to govern this great country of ours.

Unfortunately, like you, Cashman, and many others on here, we are no longer in a position to stand for election.... if we were all 20 years younger, we could form a considerable alliance & defeat all those that would do our country down!
I would imagine almost anyone of the posters on this site if, they put themselves up be elected to govern this land of ours would have more common sense and work harder for a land of the free than any example we have seen over the last 5 years.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 17:38   #1329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I would imagine almost anyone of the posters on this site if, they put themselves up be elected to govern this land of ours would have more common sense and work harder for a land of the free than any example we have seen over the last 5 years.
Shame I can't give you a double 'like', Less!

If we all pretended to be in our late forties/early fifties, d'you think we could get anywhere?
Old 08-08-2017, 17:42   #1330
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Perhaps we need to change the law on M.P.'s pay?

Yes, I do think they should get a decent living wage, no, I don't think they should make anything from directorships or other such 'gifts'.

They should have one job, make sure the rest of us have the very best representation.

Oh I know, it'll never happen we vote in ambitious folk that really, really are only interested in themselves.

I'd love an M.P. to come on site and prove me wrong...

If they ever do, it would be wonderful.
KiTChener likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 19:31   #1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

I'd love an M.P. to come on site and prove me wrong...

If they ever do, it would be wonderful.
C'mon, Less, I think you are a bit old to believe in the tooth fairy & santa claus!!

Not to mention our esteemed MP, who's name escapes me!!
Old 08-08-2017, 20:10   #1332
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTChener View Post

Yes...you are right.
Career politicians are in it for only one thing...themselves.
I am not sure I would ever go into politics because I find it difficult to promote something I do not believe in...I can not pay lip service to something.
I say what I see...regardless of political correctness.
I don't see how truth should be governed by political correctness.

I have served my local community in doing a job that I loved.
I almost (I DID say 'almost')felt a fraud for taking a wage because I enjoyed it so much...even when it was hard, smelly and dirty work.

Maybe what is wrong with us...is that we know the difference between a good representative and a poor one.
We have seen those men who pulled their tripes out for the local community.
Then we get someone who is more interested in supporting the party line than looking after the interests of Accrington.
Maybe our expectations are too high.

What I really don't get is...if someone like me, with a secondary school education can see flaws in how things are panning out, why is it that these educated fellows(those who have been to Uni and taken degrees) can't see what I can see.
The only conclusion I am forced to draw is...it is not in their interests to see what I see.
They are, like Nelson, putting the telescope to the blind eye.
This is for their own reasons...power, kudos and money.
KiTChener and DaveinGermany like this.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:33   #1333
God Member

if we got rid of the whip business and gave them a bit more say then it could be better for all concerned and certainly give the MP a bit more status. all this sheep herding on votes wether you agree or not really gets my goat.
Less and cashman like this.
Old 09-08-2017, 14:39   #1334

Here is a few paragraph's from an article printed today in the Newcastle Chronicle
by Jonathan Walker

BRITAIN WOULD HAVE VOTED TO REMAIN HAD IT BEEN BETTER EDUCATED,
ACADEMICS CLAIM

New research suggests the nation would have voted against Brexit if more of us had gone to university

The UK could have voted against Brexit if voters had been better educated,
academics have said

A new paper suggests that a university education was the 'predominant factor' dividing
those who voted Remain and those who voted Leave

It even made more difference than age or income, according to the document

And if just 3% more people had gone to university then the results of last year's EU referendum, when the UK voted to quit the EU, could have been different.

The findings were published by academics from the university of Leicester

They produced data showing the cities such as Sunderland have a low proportion of
people who have been through higher education and voted to leave the EU - while areas
such as Lambeth and camden in London have a high proportion of graduates and voted to remain
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 14:44   #1335
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The Academics can kiss my arse. cos they are full of its contents,
monkey hanger likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..