Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2014, 08:24   #31

Re: Religious Imposition.

Mr Cameron claims that Britain is a Christian country but in a poll 69% said they had no religion and only 29% professed to having a religious faith (all faiths). So it seems that fewer than 20% are actually Christians. I expect shops ensure that their staff get time off 'with their families' without recourse to religion-inspired holidays.

PS. Spar shops are owned by A F Blakemore & our local one is staffed entirely by white caucasians. Didn't notice if any of them wear crucifixes.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-04-2014, 08:46   #32

I agree, Accyman, of course there would still be holidays but not the ones that are (supposedly) for religious reasons, which is what I meant regarding Easter.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 08:56   #33

All this fuss because supermarkets were closed for one day. I can live without Tesco for one day, and whether or not they are closed for a religious holiday is of no issue to me.
Restless likes this.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 09:04   #34
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
Mr Cameron claims that Britain is a Christian country but in a poll 69% said they had no religion and only 29% professed to having a religious faith (all faiths). So it seems that fewer than 20% are actually Christians. I expect shops ensure that their staff get time off 'with their families' without recourse to religion-inspired holidays.

PS. Spar shops are owned by A F Blakemore & our local one is staffed entirely by white caucasians. Didn't notice if any of them wear crucifixes.
Maybe people are embarrassed to profess any kind of faith these days. Muslims and Jews do not hold back in professing faith....But it is somehow seen as a bit 'naff'(for want of a better word) to profess a Christian faith.
I do not follow a particular religion, but I am a spiritual person......I live my life by tenets that would be seen to the outsider as 'Christian'.

Our spar shop is run by Muslims.

You do not need to demonstrate your faith to hold it.....and you do not need to subscribe to organised services.
Yes, of course the people running the shop will get their days off.....but it is not exactly the same when you have to work while your family are at home enjoying the break.
I spent nearly 30 years in that situation.....and believe me everyone who had a family wanted to be off at the same time as them.
Doing the duty rota for a festive period was a nightmare.
Accyexplorer likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 21-04-2014 at 09:08.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 09:07   #35
Super Moderator

As I keep saying, the situation's sod all to do with religion; it's an attempt by the government to try and even things up for smaller corner shops in their fight against the big grocery chains. Religion's just a red herring in this argument!
Restless likes this.
Old 21-04-2014, 09:09   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
As I keep saying, the situation's sod all to do with religion; it's an attempt by the government to try and even things up for smaller corner shops in their fight against the big grocery chains. Religion's just a red herring in this argument!
Would the red herring be one of them 3 fishes,by any chance?
Old 21-04-2014, 09:11   #37
Beacon of light

It is only religious because the closure happens on Easter Day, and the legislation relates to a religious holiday(as opposed to a bank holiday).....so it is a bit of both.
Religion and a bit of political and governmental meddling just to be on the safe side.
Old 21-04-2014, 10:05   #38
God Member

the tips open today by the way incase you want to take your trash out

they only shut new years day , xmas day and boxing day

ps:

any update on the jesus situation has he re-risen yet ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 10:13   #39
Beacon of light

Accyman...Maybe that is why people do not profess their faith.....fear of ridicule.
If I said I was Muslim, or Jewish, Hindu or Buddhist, there would be no remark made.
It is about respect for culture and creed.
Old 21-04-2014, 10:16   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Accyman...Maybe that is why people do not profess their faith.....fear of ridicule.
If I said I was Muslim, or Jewish, Hindu or Buddhist, there would be no remark made.
Yeh dont really know me then, no-ones sacred.
Less likes this.
Old 21-04-2014, 10:27   #41
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
ps:

any update on the jesus situation has he re-risen yet ?
There's a bit of confusion concerning the time table, the Church of England claim he will arrive at 8.00pm British Summer Time, all the other Christians think BST should be ignored and the actual time will be 8.00pm Greenwich Mean Time.

Perhaps we need a Government Quango setting up to decide who's correct?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 10:29   #42
Beacon of light

Oh, yes I do Cashy....and I like you for it.
What ever anyone says about you.....they cannot say you are not consistent.
Oh.....by the way I am none of those religions.
Old 21-04-2014, 10:30   #43
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
There's a bit of confusion concerning the time table, the Church of England claim he will arrive at 8.00pm British Summer Time, all the other Christians think BST should be ignored and the actual time will be 8.00pm Greenwich Mean Time.

Perhaps we need a Government Quango setting up to decide who's correct?
If you are relying on government....I wouldn't be holding your breath.
Old 21-04-2014, 10:58   #44
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Not sure about that one Ma, other religions have had quite a few prods, pokes & digs in various threads within these very pages over the years.
Old 21-04-2014, 11:38   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
there should be no allowances for religeon wether it be christianity , islam , hindu or whatever and teh sooner the better
Maybe something like this:

CBC.ca Montreal - INFOGRAPHIC: Breaking down Quebec's secular charter
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..