Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-04-2014, 19:32   #91
I am Banned

Re: Religious Imposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
According to most of the few who contribute to Accy Web Christianity is just a fairy tale .

What has St George to do with England anyway ?
Hey those misfits, mavens and misanthropes will tell you there's no Father Christmas as well.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-04-2014, 19:43   #92
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Why should we? He was a Palestinian!

BBC News - Why St George is a Palestinian hero
Whatever it says on his passport Gordon he represents the battle between good and evil, he is a saint of the broadest appeal. Palestinians, Muslims and Christians celebrate his feast day.

No matter here I am in Chequers in Stevenage raising a glass of Hardy and Hansons Olde Trip (a Greene King ersatz brew I know) to the ambitious Cappadocian bishop who brings more good than evil to humankind.

I'll have to go matey, the sword dancing is about to start
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6306.JPG (127.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 23-04-2014, 19:43   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Why should we ?

According to most of the few who contribute to Accy Web Christianity is just a fairy tale .

What has St George to do with England anyway ?
Maybe if on the 23rd April, George had slain the dragon that was in charge of the country in the 1980s people would remember him a bit more,
cashman, accyman and Restless like this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 19:56   #94
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I got 8 right in that one Eric.
Way to go
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 20:16   #95
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
For those of you who hated the first Shakespeare quiz, here's another. More or less on topic. Think of him as a secular British saint.; let's not forget he was born on St. George's Day ... a true literary crusader. I hope I ain't being politically incorrect by using the "C" word.

QUIZ | BIRTHDAY BARD - CBCNews.ca
No I didnt cheat, I didn't this one either. The school I went to till I was 14, the headmaster an ex WW1 thought that all boys should be brought up military fashion, we spent most of the time when we should have been diong English formation marching up and down the central hall, he kept me in after school one day for not having shiny clogs, and father who was going on night shift at Bristol Aicraft had been waiting for me to go an errand, I got clouted for being late, towd him it were pop heys, so he said next time pop comes down our street I want to know, dashed in next Saturday and said dad pops coming, father went to front door fanged hold of pop by the throat and said if tha wants his clogs polished then tha pays furt polish, until then if thurs any moor o this stupid nonsense or I'll knock thi block off. We heard no more from pop about shiny clogs or shoes. So I never eard o this ear chap called Shakespear, was never taught wher all them twiddly bit go either (,,,..::;; " ) an such, don't know what nouns, verbs or adjectives are either, to me words are just words I write as I speak. When I'm reading anything I don't notice them any way.
I did read at one time he was a plagarist and he didn't write anything.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 20:25   #96
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Why should we? He was a Palestinian!

BBC News - Why St George is a Palestinian hero
I always thought he was Maltese. You learn something every day.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 21:32   #97
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I always thought he was Maltese.
Coat him with chocolate an he'l be a Malteser.
Less, Eric and Gordon Booth like this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 10:47   #98
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Maybe if on the 23rd April, George had slain the dragon that was in charge of the country in the 1980s people would remember him a bit more,
the Irish have the right idea..

attatch a pub crawl to your saint and everyone celebrates it even the english and scottish
BERNADETTE likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 10:58   #99
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
the Irish have the right idea..

attatch a pub crawl to your saint and everyone celebrates it even the english and scottish
"Paddy's Day" Guinness (the company, not our esteemed member) has highjacked the day and it's just one humongous marketing campaign and opportunity for them. And the tat they give away probably keeps more than a couple of chinese give away factories in all year production.
Old 24-04-2014, 11:41   #100
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
No I didnt cheat, I didn't this one either. The school I went to till I was 14, the headmaster an ex WW1 thought that all boys should be brought up military fashion, we spent most of the time when we should have been diong English formation marching up and down the central hall, he kept me in after school one day for not having shiny clogs, and father who was going on night shift at Bristol Aicraft had been waiting for me to go an errand, I got clouted for being late, towd him it were pop heys, so he said next time pop comes down our street I want to know, dashed in next Saturday and said dad pops coming, father went to front door fanged hold of pop by the throat and said if tha wants his clogs polished then tha pays furt polish, until then if thurs any moor o this stupid nonsense or I'll knock thi block off. We heard no more from pop about shiny clogs or shoes. So I never eard o this ear chap called Shakespear, was never taught wher all them twiddly bit go either (,,,..::;; " ) an such, don't know what nouns, verbs or adjectives are either, to me words are just words I write as I speak. When I'm reading anything I don't notice them any way.
I did read at one time he was a plagarist and he didn't write anything.
Retlaw...for someone who doesn't do all those things(parts of speech)...you write more legibly and readably than the guy from over the borders.
I rarely have any bother deciphering what your post is about.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 17:20   #101
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
"Paddy's Day" Guinness (the company, not our esteemed member) has highjacked the day and it's just one humongous marketing campaign and opportunity for them. And the tat they give away probably keeps more than a couple of chinese give away factories in all year production.

if it wasnt for the excuse for beer st patrick would be just as neglected as saint george

speaking of tat im guilty of wearing a guiness hat when winkered outa my brain depsite finding teh stuff vile to drink lol ...But your correct it should be saint guiness day not patricks

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 24-04-2014, 17:34   #102
Full Member+

Aye, to be sure , to be sure, begorra. Tis another commercial excuse to get leathered and spend money under the olde pretence of tradition.
Old 24-04-2014, 18:29   #103
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
Aye, to be sure , to be sure, begorra. Tis another commercial excuse to get leathered and spend money under the olde pretence of tradition.
Aye but i used to be able to make a damn good job of it,Happy Days,
Eric, BERNADETTE and westendlass like this.
Old 24-04-2014, 19:55   #104
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Aye but i used to be able to make a damn good job of it,Happy Days,
Me too ... and I never needed an excuse Any day ending in a "y" is good enough for me, whatever saint's name anyone wants to put before it.
cashman and BERNADETTE like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 16:24   #105
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Me too ... and I never needed an excuse Any day ending in a "y" is good enough for me, whatever saint's name anyone wants to put before it.
i may be wrong all these people out on st patricks day may well indeed actually be celebrating my birthday and have just forgot to bring a card
Margaret Pilkington and Eric like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..