Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009, 23:00   #16
God Member

Re: Remembrance Sunday

Its hard to believe that there are still folk that show such ingnorance. But I suppose such is life and we will always get them.

I couldnt get to our service due to being out of sorts but I watched on BBC and they covered it very well .

THE FALLEN ..... ALWAYS REMEMBERED .
RIP
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-11-2009, 10:15   #17
God Member

I suppose, as his protest was at the National Anthem, that it was more to do with the Queen and him wanting rid of the monarchy, than about insulting the Armed Forces.

Even so, I still think it was unnecessary and the wrong place and time to make that sort of protest.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:21   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I suppose, as his protest was at the National Anthem, that it was more to do with the Queen and him wanting rid of the monarchy, than about insulting the Armed Forces.

Even so, I still think it was unnecessary and the wrong place and time to make that sort of protest.
As you say Gayle there's a time and place for everything and yesterday was neither the time nor the place
Old 09-11-2009, 11:00   #19
Senior Member+

How sad that someone should be so insensitive.
Whether a supporter of the Royals or not, yesterday and of course on Wednesday, which is when Rememberance Day is celebrated here - and everything is closed, is all about paying respect to all those who died and all those that did and still suffer.
Never forget their sacrifice.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:31   #20
Super Moderator

As everybody was presumably standing, it's not as if he was being asked to make some gesture of acknowledgement to the National Anthem like standing, saluting or bowing. He could have just stood quietly while it was played, but he was obviously far more concerned with parading his beliefs in front of everyone else, then he was in paying his respects to the fallen.

He might also reflect on the fact that he might nor even be able to make his little protest if it wasn't for those who made the ultimate sacrifice, but he doesn't sound like the type who's given to too much reflection...
Old 09-11-2009, 13:19   #21
God Member

Are we presuming that the national anthem was his motive for moving - could be that a person near him had broken wind in a devastating fashion

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 14:50   #22
God Member

Unfortunately, I know the person in question so whilst I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, I'm afraid I can't.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 14:56   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Unfortunately, I know the person in question so whilst I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, I'm afraid I can't.
ya should have given him the benefit of a kick in the goolies.
Old 09-11-2009, 15:29   #24
God Member

Someone who holds strong Republican views is offended by the national anthem.
Soldiers fight for their country, and not all of them fight for 'queen and country'.
It is time we had a national anthem which does not consist of homage to a monarchy.
Incidents like this would not happen then.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 17:06   #25

Hi MargaretR

I hear what you are saying but every member of the armed forces swears allegiance to the monarch (King or Queen) hence the saying in the forces "taking the kings shilling" in the current case its the "Queens Shilling" and yes I know we do not have shillings anymore.
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 17:09   #26

I was at the Rememberance day service at Oak Hill Park, it was very well attended. The trumpeteer always brings a tear to my eye.
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 20:48   #27
Full Member+

Quote:
I went to the Remembrance parade in Ossy - one of the largest turnouts for many, many years I think.

One thing that really bugged me - someone (I do know who he is but won't name him) turned his back when the National Anthem was played and deliberately walked away, he returned when the National Anthem was finished.

I was always taught you show respect to the flag and the National Anthem of any country.
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 21:05   #28
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
So how does walking a little distance away make the National Anthem less "offensive"? Nothing to do with being offended, just juvenile attention seeking.
Old 09-11-2009, 21:37   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
crap, if ya hold such strong views ya keep away from a remembrance service.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:16   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
crap, if ya hold such strong views ya keep away from a remembrance service.
100% behind that statement cashy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..