Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2004, 08:35   #1
Senior Member+

Renovations to Accrington Market Hall.

Apparently there are plans afoot to renovate our Market Hall. An architect to oversee the project is due to be selected and a detailed refurbishment design should be completed by March 2005, with work starting as early as April 2005.
Might this include finding a place for the Arndale Clock, which must still be gathering dust somewhere?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-07-2004, 09:00   #2

Re: Renovations to Accrington Market Hall.

Let it gather dust somewhere for god's sake. It was always an atrocious and grotesque thing to start with.

Anyone think that the Market Hall REALLY needs refurbishing? I like the old-school style inside and I could think of more pressing matters that need monetary input.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:11   #3
Senior Member+

I agree with Ceejache, cant see owt wrong with the market hall. As for the clock it always was an eyesore better off without it.
Old 02-07-2004, 20:24   #4
Full Member+

I think the Market Hall needs a panopticon !
Old 02-07-2004, 22:40   #5
Resident Waffler

The Market hall is one of the few interesting things we've got left in the town. I dread to think what they might do with it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 22:49   #6
Always EVIL within us

When I arrived in Accie, I made a special point of viewing the Arndale clock. I patiently awaited the turning of the hour..... only to find that it was broken!!

I say "Bring it back!" It is cras, pointless, tasteless.... but that is what Accie is about. at least it was different to the usual "water features" or wotever used in shopping centres throughout the country!
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 18:49   #7

Isn't it supposed to be going up outside the Globe Centre?
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 19:52   #8
Senior Member+

Re Globe Centre. Dont know about that! Where have you heard that? The only thing is, if it was left outside, the local idiots would get their hands on it! At least it was safe in the Arndale and the centre was locked up in an evening. I found it to be one of those things that when it was there you didn't appreciate it, now it has gone, I have to say I agree with "Busman" and I do miss it. I still walk into the Arndale and find myself looking for the time on the Old Father Time clock.
Old 03-07-2004, 19:55   #9
God Member

Do we know where it is and what is happening or has happened to it?

Is there no society type thing in Hyndburn that looks after eeeerm old things? ensures they are saved and not lost for ever.. preservation type thingy?
Old 03-07-2004, 20:10   #10
Senior Member+

Renovations to Accrington Market Hall.

Hi, I heard it was safe and well, and had been taken into the "cellars" of the Arndale for safe keeping. I also heard there was a "possibility" the Council may find somewhere for it when the Market Hall was renovated, but ... only hearsay!
Old 03-07-2004, 20:14   #11
God Member

So the council deffo own it.. So isn't it the peoples? I mean like isn't it the towns?

I would seriously like to see it soemwhere... I don't think it should ahve been removed for a brew place... thats just money talking

What about some people power to find out what is going to happen to it and if nothing then to get it erected somewhere. Would enough people be bothered even?
Old 03-07-2004, 20:47   #12
Resident Waffler

When it was being removed one of the workmen told me it needed repairing. I must admit when it first arrived I thought it was a foolish waste of money but I did join the crowds gathered around to see it opening. Now I'm rather sad to see it missing.

Old 04-07-2004, 11:15   #13

Outside the Globe Centre?! NO! I've hated the thing since day one, anyone remember the first time it opened on opening day - all the waiting and hype, expectation blah blah blah - what an anti-climax! You could never hear 'rock around the clock' and the 'band' look like Lord of the Ring extras.

Anyone see the interview with Julie Hesmondailgh (Hailey on Corrie...not that I watch it you hear) in the Observer about a year ago - she was talking about how she loves Accy etc and I quote "I think it's great that every evening the people gather around the clock to watch it open"!!!!! Way to go Julie - you couldn't have done a better job of painting us as backwards simpletons if you tried!
Old 04-07-2004, 22:10   #14
Resident Waffler

Well I didn't gather round it every evening but I did stand there when it was new and showed it to visitors too. It was a while before I realised they were supposed to be playing Rock Around The Clock. It was never the same after the accordion player fell over.

Old 05-07-2004, 07:07   #15

We should start a "bring back the clock" campaign.
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..