Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2005, 21:06   #1

Renting Property in Accrington

Anyone know if there are any decent letting agents around Accy and where I might be able to find them?
p_headless_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-03-2005, 21:12   #2

Re: Renting Property in Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_headless_g
Anyone know if there are any decent letting agents around Accy and where I might be able to find them?
Most housing estate agents now lease property you could try buy the house they have shops in ossy and accy next to the argos they usaully have quite a few places to let
Old 09-03-2005, 21:14   #3
Senior Member+

Thompson and Partners have a lettings department.............
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 23:21   #4
Senior Member+

Is there any property in Accy that would be classed as in prime rental areas?

I hear property is quite cheap up there!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 23:55   #5
God Member

Cheap compared to where you live but not by local wages...

My mum lives up Spring hill, Her house is proabbly worth £40-50K. I'd reckon £20K tops. For someone working in manufacturing on minimum wage as a lot of people are(£15K/year) then its out their price range to pay over £50K for a house. I was lucky and moved in 99 before house prices shot up. I couldn't afford the ouse I live in now even though I have a good job in a highly paid area of expertise.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:34   #6
Senior Member+

For someone on £15 a lot of lenders would lend 4 times salary.

Some lenders will stretch further than that - one lender will go 4.8 times, and other lenders work on disposable income rather than income multiples.

£60k is not out of reach for someone on £15k.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:39   #7
Give, give, give member

Cheap property? Afraid you missed the boat. Three years ago you could have bought the Town Hall, if you'd have sold your garage in London, not now!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:44   #8
Roy
Administrator

Quote:
£60k is not out of reach for someone on £15k.
But who in there right mind earning 15k would want to get so far into debt?? What if the interest rates go up again? If anybody borrows over 3.5 times there wage they must be crazy!! I certainly wont do it and thats part of the reason I am leaving the UK.

As for letting agencies, I use Rent The House in accy next to argos. If you are on the dole then you are all right, but god help you if you are working and want something half decent, the minimum is about £400 a month!!!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:50   #9
Give, give, give member

lf interest rates went up to 15% which they did in the early 90's, you'd be on the street if you'd have borrowed x4 your salary.

Last edited by garinda; 10-03-2005 at 10:10.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
But who in there right mind earning 15k would want to get so far into debt?? What if the interest rates go up again? If anybody borrows over 3.5 times there wage they must be crazy!! I certainly wont do it and thats part of the reason I am leaving the UK.

As for letting agencies, I use Rent The House in accy next to argos. If you are on the dole then you are all right, but god help you if you are working and want something half decent, the minimum is about £400 a month!!!
i noticed they snapped up a few properties where rists used to be yet at prices like 150 p/w who can afford that unless the dhss pay it . I d find it annoying to have paid for one them properties though then to find a bunch of youths renting the house next door . On a few occasions ive passed there to see a few lads hanging out a window with the music blasting out .
Im not sure which letting company it is but they have a few places up sandy lane and usually in the region of 60 - 70 per week will try and find out later the name
Old 10-03-2005, 10:47   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
lf interest rates went up to 15% which they did in the early 90's, you'd be on the street if you'd have borrowed x4 your salary.
It is highly unlikely that interest rates would go that high again. Do you remember that one of the first things the government did when they came into power was to hand over control to the Bank of England?

4x salary is quite normal nowadays, and as I said earlier, you can get more than that from some companies.

Anyway, show me someone who finds their dream house, but to get it they need 4x their salary. Are they going to say "no, I couldn't possibly because it's 4x my salary"?

I think not.

How about "show me the money!"

Old 10-03-2005, 11:24   #12
Senior Member+

im not sure on this it could b incomplete
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:28   #13
Roy
Administrator

Quote:
Anyway, show me someone who finds their dream house, but to get it they need 4x their salary. Are they going to say "no, I couldn't possibly because it's 4x my salary"?
Roy puts hand up

I'm not playing the big style debt game, I've seen what it does to people when things don't go your way. Especially at this time when house prices are ridiculous!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:45   #14
Give, give, give member

Whilst admitedly it's a tempting enough offer to borrow as much as you can get, it is still a risk. The Economy has always been a Boom and Bust rollercoaster ride, even with more power in the hands of the Bank of England.

The national average wage for last year was reported to be 21k.
4x £21,000= £84,000
This is enough to buy a garage in the south east, and badly limits your choices in Hyndburn now, after the massive price increases in the last two years.

l'm lucky, l sold my dingy London shoe box,[bought in the early 90's slump,] eight years later for a 400% profit, before moving back North. l feel sorry for anyone trying to buy for the first time here, were the average wage is certainly not 21k.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:19   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
I'm not playing the big style debt game
If everyone thought that way, no one would buy a house in the first place!

Unless you are a cash buyer, you are going to have to get into debt somehow. Or rent of course.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..