Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2014, 22:28   #46

Re: "Respect your elders"

Oh, the ravages of time. I had a studio portrait taken a few months after we arrived here many years ago (someone I worked with was having hers done so I went along for the ride). I was 23 at the time – that’s funny, I wonder if this had any connection with my comments earlier. The photo was framed and hung on the wall for years but it started to depress me when comments such as ‘what happened?’ were made more and more frequently along with comparisons as to before and after…..but not in a nice way. (Not much respect shown!).

I took the photo out of its frame and hid it away, but my youngest daughter dug it out and had it framed (again!) for a present for me – as she said she loved this photo. Was she trying to punish me for something?

Anyway there it stands in all its glory – while here I am avoiding mirrors.

(Maybe the hot Australian sun, 5 kids, the ups and downs of married life and oh! yes, old age, might have something to do with the wrinkles and ‘what happened’).
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-04-2014, 22:38   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Hey Dotti dont bother its summat to be proud of yer portrait. sod the comments, we have a good friend in Spain who is in late 70s n she has a portfolio from when she was a model, she was absolutely stunning when she was young,shes still young at heart, but believe me thats all, it dont matter a stuff to us, we love her to bits.
Old 01-04-2014, 23:30   #48
Senior Member+

Pulp - Help The Aged:

Last edited by DAV007; 01-04-2014 at 23:32.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 23:46   #49

Cashie you’re a gem!!!!! I have to say I did tell them to ‘sod off’ but maybe in a more ladylike fashion – or not! (I'm not much of a lady).

I agree - attitude is so important. There's some who are old before their time and then there's some of us who never grow up at all.....
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 00:39   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
then there's some of us who never grow up at all.....
Ain't that the truth ... and I'm happy to number myself among that "some." And just maybe there's some of us who prefer to grow in all dimensions and directions. "Up" is boring.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:42   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
No ... not Less ... it is I. And I stand by the post (or lean on it when I'm in my cups) And if you, or anyone else, believes that this thread has even the slightest smidgen of neutrality, you are being more than a little disingenuous.
I could agree E, but that would make us both wrong...I think there's a smidgen neutrality to the thread

MP was right about it being a family,just a shame for some it's like the worst table at a wedding

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:09   #52
Senior Member+

When we were kids we were reminded daily about manners and respect especially to older folk. Maybe some of the problem is our fault for not being there as much for our kids due to work, sports, more social activities etc. The world has changed so much and so fast in the past 50 years, priorities and, sadly, responsibilities have suffered. Who sets the standard for the youth of today? Unfortunately T.V., films, etc. have to take a lions share of the blame due to their lack of morals. The world has changed some for the good but a lot for the not so good. I like to think everyone should be treated with repect regardless of age, set the example and you may even get respect back.
Now what's all this about age? I turn 70 this month and have just this week hung up my football boots, not because I,m too old, just because I want to climb some more mountains and canoe some more wilderness lakes, head up to the Yukon for some hunting trips and in general complete my bucket list.
Accyexplorer likes this.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:01   #53
Senior Member+

Overall, I've been treated better by my elders than the younger generation.
From what I've experienced older folk tend to be more mature, trustworthy, and respectful.
Most of the younger folk I've come across have been rude reprobates, immature, and far from trust worthy...not them all, but most.
I'm guessing that's what the elders mean by young people of today not having morale.
I'd prefer to give my respect to a older person than a youth , but it's still got to be earned,it's not just a god given right.
I think it's wisdom I respect, not age.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:03   #54
Beacon of light

Age......Dotti, I think I am young at heart. In fact in my head I am 14...... And I guess that is why I won't let my daughters children call me that horrible G thing.
When I want to know my age.....I look in the back of my knickers.....it says 16! That'll do for me.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:09   #55
Senior Member+

When I look back at posts of mine from 10 years ago it seems that 30 years have gone by. I guess that's 10 years of binge drinking for ya.

Accyex - you started with the clique crap again thus resulting in the loss of respect from most regular members of this forum. But I was talking life in general.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:14   #56
Beacon of light

Rob, this clique thing is going to come up from time to time.
In the main I think it is because those who have been members for a long time have some kind of affinity.....which to new members may appear to be a clique...but isn't.
It is a misconception on the new members part and should be taken with a pinch of salt...it doesn't cause me to lose respect for them. They learn.....in time.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:24   #57
God Member

I still stand by what I suggested in post #2. This is not a thread I can take seriously ... I believe I hinted at that in #44, with my oblique allusion to one of the more famous observations of Groucho Marx.

"Respect you elders". This phrase was casually tossed out as if everyone agrees on the meaning of "respect", and that of "elders". The phrase, "with all due respect" comes to mind. When you here this, you know that there ain't much respect going to happen. I suggest that there is no general agreement. The topic, in my opinion, is just one more contentious thread, scantily clothed as "reasonable, serious debate".

Anyway ... a small, scruffy munchkin is demanding that she go for a tour of the neighbourhood ... and, as I respect the fourteen loving years she has spent on this planet, I'm heading out for walkies. Keeps me young and healthy.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:36   #58
Beacon of light

Wrap up warm Eric.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:51   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Wrap up warm Eric.
Why? 'Cause I'm old? Have some respect woman

But seriously, it's a nice day out there. Already up to 1c ... and the sun is starting to give out some warmth ... should hit 6c today Even Hope didn't wear her coat; and she made it all the way around the block; barked at three other dogs (who ignored her ... no respect there), chased half a dozen squirrels, read a whole bunch of pee-mail and added her comments (dogs have been into social networking for millenia). By the way ... snowdrops are up, there's a hard working woodpecker in the area, and hundreds of geese heading north ... it's a hard time for them as there isn't much open water around.

Sorry about the wander ... just an old man rambling on
Old 02-04-2014, 12:52   #60
Beacon of light

No not because you are old. I do not consider you to be old anymore that I consider myself to be old(we are similar in generational terms).
I am telling you to wrap up because you still have that nasty cold white stuff over there.
It is 50F here...don't know what that is in new money, but it feels mild.
anyway good to hear that you have signs that it is getting a bit kinder,weatherwise.

Is it more than six weeks since Groundhog day? Shouldn't you be getting mores signs of spring soon?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..