Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2015, 07:50   #106
Senior Member+

Re: "Respect your elders"

I think older generations are often looked at as being senile or set in their ways by the young un's today (a erroneous assumption based purely on their age).
Perhaps this is beacuse some elders simply close their minds to learning new,PC, lingo etc?.....I dunno

Whatever the reason, I bet, they must feel frustrated etc that they aren't accepted for who they really are, but for who young un's think they are.
I bet some old folk play on this assumption too giving it the 'I'm just a frail old person'.....I know, I would

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 19-04-2015 at 07:59.
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-04-2015, 09:01   #107
Beacon of light

Stereo types aren't me.
I am my own person....and many of those who grew up at the same time as me are exactly the same.
We are the ones who had more freedom to do what we wanted. OK there were still privations, but those gave us the resilience to rise above...they forged our characters, they made us strong.

I actually feel very sorry for those growing up now. The world is full of uncertainties for them. They know nothing at all of simple pleasures.
Technology has moved on, but for some it has impoverished them of experiences.
MITZY, Restless, dotti34 and 3 others like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 18:04   #108
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post

Had to look that up. Thought you were breaking into Iroquoian.
Flossie hammered a bit of Latin into me but it was all Greek to me so it didn't seem worth doing Greek.
Ah, Flossie ... those were the days.

Not very familiar with First Nations languages, altho' I do know enough Cree to accuse someone of having oral sex with one's grandmother

Come to think of it, respect for ones elders is a big part of traditional native cultures. Mushooms and Kokums play a large part in the child rearing process on many reserves. Problem is, just like in the UK, traditional local cultures have been poisoned by "progress", and the general homogenization of "culture". In a sense, the muslims who preach against westernization have got a point; they just go about propagating their ideas in, let's say, inappropriate ways.

I'll give it more thought as I munch on a Big Mac and fries (supersized) and watch Hillbilly Handfishin'"
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 19:08   #109
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Ah, Flossie ... those were the days.

Not very familiar with First Nations languages, altho' I do know enough Cree to accuse someone of having oral sex with one's grandmother

Come to think of it, respect for ones elders is a big part of traditional native cultures. Mushooms and Kokums play a large part in the child rearing process on many reserves. Problem is, just like in the UK, traditional local cultures have been poisoned by "progress", and the general homogenization of "culture". In a sense, the muslims who preach against westernization have got a point; they just go about propagating their ideas in, let's say, inappropriate ways.

I'll give it more thought as I munch on a Big Mac and fries (supersized) and watch Hillbilly Handfishin'"
So, you're taking the easy way out? Rather than insist the natives anywhere, (Canada, Lancashire, even Wales), should be allowed their natural history, you'll cop out and go for a burger?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 19:49   #110
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
So, you're taking the easy way out? Rather than insist the natives anywhere, (Canada, Lancashire, even Wales), should be allowed their natural history, you'll cop out and go for a burger?
Nah ... I changed my mind and went for the Jack Daniels, the Chicago Cubs game, and microwaved Chicken Vindaloo.

Showing respect, courtesy, and all that other good stuff are the things of memory. Community goes when the automobile and the supermarkets arrive. The days are gone when a week in Blackpool at a B&B (take your own green tomatoes to ripen in a drawer) was a serious vacation. I suppose the guys no longer take off their flat caps when a funeral goes by. Even nostalgia ain't what it used to be. Ah, Castro is up to bat; maybe the Cubbies will be able to get something going in the fifth.
Old 19-04-2015, 20:34   #111

Respect? Courtesy? I'm amazed such words are still displayed in the dickshunarry, I certainly wouldn't hold my breath and expect some yoof to hold open a door and say, "after you, you old git", more likely they would just slam it in my face as I complain about things being better when I slammed doors into the faces of really old gits. In my yoof.
Old 19-04-2015, 20:42   #112
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Respect? Courtesy? I'm amazed such words are still displayed in the dickshunarry, I certainly wouldn't hold my breath and expect some yoof to hold open a door and say, "after you, you old git", more likely they would just slam it in my face as I complain about things being better when I slammed doors into the faces of really old gits. In my yoof.
This is still a fairly polite country ... not hard to guess what word Canucks most commonly use ... after [deleted] that is. Of course, baby seals have a rough time of it; but nobody is perfect.
Old 19-04-2015, 21:49   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
This is still a fairly polite country ... not hard to guess what word Canucks most commonly use ... after [deleted] that is. Of course, baby seals have a rough time of it; but nobody is perfect.
I suppose the myth about sheep and the Welsh farmers is about as accurate as the one about baby seals, having it rough good heavens no, both the Canucks and the farmers would indulge in a little gentle foreplay beforehand!
Old 20-04-2015, 01:10   #114
God Member

So the choice is between being [deleted]ed by a Taffy, and being beaten to death by a Newfie with a baseball bat Mmm ... maybe we should have a poll.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..