Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2004, 22:47   #1
Resident Waffler

Restaurant

I'll never think ill of local restaurants again! Yesterday we went to Wales and stopped for lunch in Rhyl. It was 6pm before we left that restaurant! It took so long to be served!!!

It was almost amusing at times with a medium rare steak which was practically raw. Dread to think what rare would have been like (still moo-ing?) Garlic bread had to be chased up and when it arrived there was precious little garlic or butter of any kind on it. Daughter's desert was served on a plate with most of the chocolate sauce drizzled over the edges so that it ran onto the table. Maybe they were just having a bad day. If anyone else goes to "The Harbour" at Rhyl do let us know if it's improved.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2004, 04:48   #2

Re: Restaurant

Bad day eh Willow??

I'm afraid that the UK and most of the North of England in particular is a gastronomic desert.!!

Worst of all are the prices....

Living on the continent, I can get almost any type of food (and I mean European Food, not eastern flied lice etc.). All of it at very reasonable prices. East Germany is also a bit like the N of England in that they are somewhat limited in choice, but nowhere near as bad as East Lancs.

Within 500 yards I have a French, German, Italian, Greek, Balkan, and unfortunately a Vietnamese and Thai restaurants. Naturally, prices vary, and so does service (the Germans are not noted for serving, as their jack-boots make a loud noise). Last week we had a Greek meal. Garlic Pitta Bread, Greek salad, Lamb Fillets with potatoes and veg, Tiramisu (Sweet) and a Litre of ordinary Greek red wine. Cost.........£10 each (all in). In the Italian you can get almost any main meal for under £12, and Pasta dishes are all under £8. Pizza costs no more than £6.

I travel all over Europe and I find the best food at very good prices can be had in Madrid, where food from all over Spain is Fresh, Cheap and the service is excellent.

I feel sorry for those of you in Accy who enjoy their food and drink....your choices are very, very limited...and you'll be ripped-off almost everywhere you go. It's the same for wine, the prices in the UK are tax, tax, tax and a bit for the cost of the wine.

Apart from good French and Italian wines I buy a boxed Chile, Cabernet Sauvignon, 12.5%, 1½ litres, for......wait for it......................£1.15........Not brilliant but very quaffable.

Beer.....the best in the world (Munich bier) at between £5-£14 for 20 - ½litre bottles.

Yes,, Europe has a lot af faults.....But in the UK...you are being taken for a ride.

(I'm not trying to be clever...just pointing out how unfortunate you are regarding food and drink)

I'll have to bring a (free) bottle of Schnapps over next time I come!!

Last edited by Darby; 07-09-2004 at 04:49.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 07:06   #3

Then our Government has a hard time wondering why so many people are trying to bring in more than their duty free on the dodge....ie. transit vans on t'booze cruise etc.

Why "unfortunately" a Vietnamese and Thai restaurant Darby? I'd love to have a Thai place in Accy.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:13   #4
Resident Waffler

The only Thai restaurant I know of is the one on the A6 south of Carnforth. There may be others but if you like Thai Ceejache it's worth the trip out. I'd tell you the name of it if I could remember!

Old 07-09-2004, 07:23   #5

Quote:
Why "unfortunately" a Vietnamese and Thai restaurant Darby? I'd love to have a Thai place in Accy

I also spent some time in Malaya and the Far East. It's not to my taste, although I quite like some Chinese dishes. Unfortunately, I've never seen a Thai or Vietnamese kitchen without cockroaches, and they tend to re-heat a lot of dishes or meats. But I suppose I'm biased!!!!

I'm off to Bavaria in a couple of hours and then over to the UK (Birmingham) to-morrow. Back next Tuesday...I'll let you know about my gormet eating, and restaurants !!
Old 07-09-2004, 16:43   #6
Resting in peace

Can't agree that the North of England is a gourmet desert - we have some fantastic places to eat. Fair enough, some of them are pricey, but you don't get Michelin stars for greasy spoons. Have always intended to try Heathcotes, but it does get booked very quickly. The Inn at Whitewell does superb food, and there are so many lovely country pubs where you can get a great meal for not too much money. You can get ripped off anywhere, the answer is, if you don't like it, don't go back and tell all your friends!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 19:50   #7

I agree Pendy. Over here English food has a terrible name, but we had some lovely meals when we were over and my wife says she can't understand why Americans think English food is not good.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 21:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Can't agree that the North of England is a gourmet desert - we have some fantastic places to eat. Fair enough, some of them are pricey, but you don't get Michelin stars for greasy spoons. Have always intended to try Heathcotes, but it does get booked very quickly. The Inn at Whitewell does superb food, and there are so many lovely country pubs where you can get a great meal for not too much money. You can get ripped off anywhere, the answer is, if you don't like it, don't go back and tell all your friends!
In total agreement Pendy, there are lots of places to eat out that are quite reasonably priced. People assume that certain places are expensive so never actually enquire as to the cost and thus miss out. Heathcotes is a superb restaurant, having eaten there on many occasions i cannot fault it at all. If you can get there during the day sometime they often have offers on that cannot be beaten and compare in price to most 3 course pub lunches. Also Nutters over Owd Betts is worth a try.

For simpler food Fishermans Retreat on Edenfield Road, SparrowHawk Inn, Fence and for really cheap cheerful value for money The Brown Cow on Haslingden Old Road.

Perran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 13:18   #9
Resting in peace

Okay, Perran, so try to convince me there is a great restaurant on Rockall!
Old 08-09-2004, 13:41   #10
Resident Waffler

Where is Heathcotes? I've never been there.

Old 08-09-2004, 13:45   #11
Resting in peace

It's at Longridge, and they do absolutely amazing things with black pudding (so I am told). The chap who owns it uses all local produce (Goosnargh ducklings, Kirkham Lancs cheese) and it is supposed to be fabulous. I will keep trying to get in there!
Old 08-09-2004, 18:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceejache
Why "unfortunately" a Vietnamese and Thai restaurant Darby? I'd love to have a Thai place in Accy.
I am sure that the Judge Walmsley at Billington near Whalley is a pub downstairs and a Thai restuarant upstairs.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 23:01   #13

Just heard that Northcote Manor have taken over the 3 Fishes at Mitton so that should definateley be wortha visit.

Pendy, nothing but fish out here mate!

Perran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2004, 05:27   #14

Well...I visited a Pakistani restaurant in Tamworth last week. And the food was very good, service immaculate BUT they didn't have a drinks licence!!!! This was because they (The Muslim Pakistani's) do not drink alcohol!!! So they said.

You could bring your own drink, and they would serve it to you. That was a far cheaper way to drink wine with your meal.
On the next table were a Pakistani family...who drank beer and wine with their meal!!

But the choice of meals was very good and all that we had was excellent...and the place was spotless.
Old 14-09-2004, 07:07   #15

How do you know the family on next table were Pakistani?

Also this may surprise you but not always all Pakistani are devout Muslim. You know like all white English aren't Church of England Christian.It isnt being hypocrite unless you claiming to be what your not.
Ifty is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..