Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008, 17:12   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Right Or Wrong.

There was an interesting debate on the Jeremy Vine show this morning.

The question asked was “With the number of people losing their homes increasing, is it morally wrong to buy a repossessed house?
Old 11-09-2008, 17:29   #2
God Member

Re: Right Or Wrong.

I don't think so no, you personally, or whoever buys the repossessed property, more than likely had absolutely nothing to do with them losing their home

Is it morally wrong to date a divorced person?
Is it morally wrong to have a child because the person next to you lost their baby?

You can't put your life on hold because of someone else's bad timing/luck/circumstanes
Doesn't stop you thinking about them and caring tho
Old 11-09-2008, 17:45   #3
Resting in Peace

Lovely post Accylass. As you say, not the buyer's doing is it ? Probably wouldn't get it any cheaper from the new vendor anyway.

Was there an argument on Jeremy Vine to say that you should be morally responsible Jambutty ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 17:57   #4
God Member

Agree great post Accylass, tried to give you karma but got to share it first. The people who are morally wrong IMO are the lenders!!!
Old 11-09-2008, 18:01   #5
God Member

Jeremy Vile is immoral for exploiting vulnerable people

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 18:13   #6
Passed away 25-11-09

If it's immoral to buy a reposessed property, what should happen to it?
Old 11-09-2008, 18:14   #7
Resident Waffler

I agree. It can't be considered morally wrong. It is not the buyer's fault.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 18:23   #8
Beacon of light

If people over stretch themselves financially then they must be prepared for the consequences.....and I know that in life sometimes circumstances get out of control(perhaps through no fault of your own)....but when considering a long term commitment you should always ask yourself 'What if.....?' And perhaps insure yourself against the 'what ifs'.

It is sad when someone loses their home through reposession, but the buyer should not worry about the ethics of such a deal as they were not of their making.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 20:58   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyLass27 View Post
I don't think so no, you personally, or whoever buys the repossessed property, more than likely had absolutely nothing to do with them losing their home

Is it morally wrong to date a divorced person?
Is it morally wrong to have a child because the person next to you lost their baby?

You can't put your life on hold because of someone else's bad timing/luck/circumstanes
Doesn't stop you thinking about them and caring tho
I totally agree. Karma on its way.

Why should we not buy a repossessed house?
Old 11-09-2008, 23:32   #10
Give, give, give member

I bought my first flat in London in the last property slump, from a doctor who was forced to sell because he was getting divorced.

Did I feel guilty?

No.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:31   #11
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Right Or Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Lovely post Accylass. As you say, not the buyer's doing is it ? Probably wouldn't get it any cheaper from the new vendor anyway.

Was there an argument on Jeremy Vine to say that you should be morally responsible Jambutty ?
I trust that you don’t mean me personally. No off course not. It’s just the way it reads.

JV interviewed a number of callers over the phone, like he does, and some said yes and many said no. The balance was in favour of the No camp.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:35   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Jeremy Vile is immoral for exploiting vulnerable people
That’s a bit unfair.

JV was just doing his job as the interviewer and finding out people’s views. He never makes his own views known but does put both sides of the argument forward.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:52   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
That’s a bit unfair.

JV was just doing his job as the interviewer and finding out people’s views. He never makes his own views known but does put both sides of the argument forward.
I read it here
Why Kyle is Caesar appealing to the baying crowds at the expense of society's most vulnerable people | Mail Online

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:58   #14
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Right Or Wrong.

It is unfortunate when someone has their home repossessed but it is unfair to put all the blame on the home owner.

The banks, in particular, and the building societies must shoulder some of the blame in offering mortgages to those who couldn’t really afford them. Anyone who has ever said, “you must get on the property ladder” is also to blame for pressuring young couples into doing so.

What is immoral in this whole debacle is the banks selling off the property for what they can get just as long as it covers the debt on it. Many repossessed homes are sold off by auction and many are sold off for well under market value, but the banks have got their money back so they don’t care.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:03   #15
Apprentice Geriatric

What has Jeremy Kyle got to do with the Jeremy Vine radio show and the subject of repossessed homes?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..