Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-12-2015, 12:23   #1

Thumbs up River Hyndburn

I have been a member of (a certain) nationwide angling society for many years, twice a year I receive a magazine with all the latest club news and maps of the latest waters that the club have obtained fishing rights on.

Imagine my surprise when opening the latest newsletter yesterday to find that the society had purchased the fishing rights on the river Hyndburn from the Dunkenhalgh to the bottom of Lower Barns Street in Clayton, what is even more amazing is that it is now so clean as to be classified as a trout stream and that fish passes are to be introduced to allow migratory fish, I.E Salmon and sea Trout to bypass the various weirs.

The European Union and the Environment Agency are to be congratulated, if it wasn't for the E.U. directives on water quality this minor miracle would not have come about.

Think about this when or if David Cameron and his cronies call an in/out vote on the E.E.C. As ever, (even happier), Your's Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-12-2015, 12:29   #2
Senior Member+

Re: River Hyndburn

I remember when it used to flow bright red, blue, yellow etc. depending on what Broad Oak was using that day.
The stones were covered in a slimy black growth.
And it wasn't called the River Stink for nothing.
That's marvellous news, salmon fishing on the Hyndburn!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 13:28   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
I have been a member of (a certain) nationwide angling society for many years, twice a year I receive a magazine with all the latest club news and maps of the latest waters that the club have obtained fishing rights on.

Imagine my surprise when opening the latest newsletter yesterday to find that the society had purchased the fishing rights on the river Hyndburn from the Dunkenhalgh to the bottom of Lower Barns Street in Clayton, what is even more amazing is that it is now so clean as to be classified as a trout stream and that fish passes are to be introduced to allow migratory fish, I.E Salmon and sea Trout to bypass the various weirs.

The European Union and the Environment Agency are to be congratulated, if it wasn't for the E.U. directives on water quality this minor miracle would not have come about.

Think about this when or if David Cameron and his cronies call an in/out vote on the E.E.C. As ever, (even happier), Your's Taddy.
Its nowt to do with the E.U. Enviromant Agency, more than likely its because Broad Oak Mill closed and stopped the pollution into Warmden Brook, and all the mills on the Factory Bottom closed and stopped the pollution of Woodnook Water, which join together at the corner of Cross St to form the Hyndburn. All that happened before the power grabbers at Brussels thowt owt about our rivers water quality. Bet they don't even know where Hyndburn is.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 16:05   #4

If I knew half of what you think you do I would twice as intelligent as you think you are but never the less, all the best, Your's, stay happy, Taddy,
Old 19-12-2015, 17:47   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
If I knew half of what you think you do I would twice as intelligent as you think you are but never the less, all the best, Your's, stay happy, Taddy,
Eh
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 22:05   #6

Quote:

I think there is more to think about beside the River Hyndburn being clean when voting on whether to stay in the EU or not.
Eric likes this.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 10:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I think there is more to think about beside the River Hyndburn being clean when voting on whether to stay in the EU or not.
I could not agree more, my comment was just an observation from a confirmed angler and conservationist.
Old 20-12-2015, 11:08   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Are you sure that the river wouldn't be in the same condition had we never been inflicted with the mess that is the EU?

It's easy saying things are because of EU rules when you can't prove the same thing wouldn't have happened without them
Old 20-12-2015, 12:16   #9
Beacon of light

No....because it is an unanswerable question.
We can never know what would have been...we can only guess.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 14:31   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Anyone else thinks the idea of an EU army (border control force to start off with but will soon be an army) with German soldiers in it is a bad idea? What could possibly go wrong wrong?
Old 20-12-2015, 14:46   #11
Beacon of light

Terrible idea.
But then anything coming out of the EU makes my hackles rise...puts my blood pressure up.
David Cameron has as much bant as a wet lettuce. I am sure th other leaders have tears rolling down their legs at his efforts to look like he is authoritative.
Old 20-12-2015, 14:48   #12
Beacon of light

Anyway Neil...you aren't supposed to be leading us astray with thread wanders.....you are supposed to be slapping us into order
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 20-12-2015, 20:33   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Anyone else thinks the idea of an EU army (border control force to start off with but will soon be an army) with German soldiers in it is a bad idea? What could possibly go wrong wrong?
id be worried our troops would be sent to clean some very large showers if one particular country got a bit above its self again and they were under german command

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 20:53   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Anyway Neil...you aren't supposed to be leading us astray with thread wanders.....you are supposed to be slapping us into order
Well Said ,Margaret
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 21:01   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I thought the thread was a pro EU one using the river as an example, my apologies

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..