Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-2013, 05:51   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
What are the roads like this morning, obviously I can't go and look for myself, but my Daughter says they're not right clever, she's come to my place from near the Hospital, whats the rest of hyndburn like. just a slight wonder, yesterday HH were gritting the paths near my Gaff haven't sen that before
Took these just for Jaysay while in town yesterday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0187.jpg (292.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0188.jpg (269.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0190.jpg (240.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0189.jpg (308.0 KB, 20 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-01-2013, 09:03   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I recall that winter of '63

UK weather: Winter of 1963 was so cold the sea froze - Mirror Online

My main memory of it is that the snow that fell at the start stayed around so long that it got mucky and and turned to thick dark ice.

I don't recall missing going to work - if buses stopped running you were expected to walk to work.
I was working on the new shops on Union Street Accy that winter, it was my job to light the brazier every morning, which was one of the better jobs
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 09:05   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Took these just for Jaysay while in town yesterday
Ta Mick
Old 27-01-2013, 11:10   #19

Best time of year to razz it up and down burnley road. Nobody else on the street. No cops. Great doing donuts in the snow.

*JOKING*

But seriously its not stupid to drive in it. Just take it really slowly

Last edited by Accrington Lad; 27-01-2013 at 11:13.
Accrington Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 11:14   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
There was a couple of young knobheads as Cashy calls them tearing round the roundabout at the top of our street last night to see if they could skid. They did,their car went sideways and almost hit one of our neighbour's car.
They are, kids, they just wanna have fun.
Old 27-01-2013, 11:23   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewoodsambo3 View Post
That is not fun!!!.It is reckless driving endangering peoples lives
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 11:38   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Oh it is fun max..........to the knobheads i was referring too.
Old 27-01-2013, 12:04   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Oh it is fun max..........to the knobheads i was referring too.
proper KNOBHEADS
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 13:53   #24

Quote:
so what, its reyt. Live and die(!!)
Old 27-01-2013, 17:20   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I recall that winter of '63
I think the winter of 1947 was pretty bad as well. I don't think it got as cold as 63 but the snow lasted for nearly 2 months and was 15 to 20 feet deep in places.
What made it worse was I remember power cuts for several hours a day for weeks and if the coal man couldn't get through you ran out- it did get cold then!
Outside toilets must have been fun, both to keep working and to use. I don't really remember a lot, when you're seven it's just an adventure but I do remember the snow being a long way over my head. Did the schools shut for 7 weeks? Does anyone remember?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 17:37   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I think the winter of 1947 was pretty bad as well. I don't think it got as cold as 63 but the snow lasted for nearly 2 months and was 15 to 20 feet deep in places.
What made it worse was I remember power cuts for several hours a day for weeks and if the coal man couldn't get through you ran out- it did get cold then!
Outside toilets must have been fun, both to keep working and to use. I don't really remember a lot, when you're seven it's just an adventure but I do remember the snow being a long way over my head. Did the schools shut for 7 weeks? Does anyone remember?
Can't ever remember the schools closing for anything Frank, when I went to St Mary's school on Moscow Mill Street in the 50s the brook which runs under a culvert near by over flowed and it was like River outside the front door, the soldiors from the TA next to the school made a bridge with sand bags and planks and helped the kids to get out at home time, could you see that happening today the elf and safety would through a wobbler
Old 27-01-2013, 18:37   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Haha..love it Eric.. "We do have unfavourable driving conditions right across the Greater Toronto Area right now, so it's a wonderful opportunity to remind everybody to turn your headlights on, slow down, be aware of your stopping distances."

Bearing in mind you lot could be hundreds of miles from the nearest emergency serices...

Over here..we get 'we've run out of grit again guys, for gods sake don't go out unless you have to'....and chances are we are no more than 10 miles from emergency help
Hundreds of miles, eh. Certainly not in the GTA, which has a population of over five and a half million. But there are places in this great land of ours where everyone ... that's everyone with half a brain ... carries a survival kit in the car. I still do. It's a habit I got into when I was a flatlander out in Saskatchewan ... it's about 2x the size of England with a population of around one million, most of them in the south. Emergency services in Canada are great. If they know where you are ... and these are the days of GPS ... they will get to you. And if they don't know where you are they will look long and hard. Having some flares in the trunk of your car is also a big help. A few candles, food, some sterno, and a fully charged booster pack are good too. Oh and don't forget your sleeping bag. Not the female one; the one good for -40.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 22:55   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
it was my job to light the brazier every morning, which was one of the better jobs
is that where the idea came from when women burned their bra's in protest or is that a different spelling ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 22:57   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewoodsambo3 View Post
but isnt that what aldi carpark is for ?
Accrington Lad likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 06:12   #30

As a Hyndburn Borough Councillor I got the opportunity to go out on one of the gritters on Friday 25th January from 7.30 to 8.30 p.m. I can't remember when we last had so much snow! It was quite frightening going over Stanhill, Knuzden & Haslingden Old Road. Snow was falling faster than the gritters could clear it. I was full of admiration for the gritting teams who work through the night keeping our main routes clear. It is a dangerous and skilled job when conditions are so severe. I have sent an e-mail to Lancashire Highways showing my appreciation.
Sara, Guinness and maxthecollie like this.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..