Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2006, 14:17   #31
Super Moderator

Re: Roll up, free driving lessons!

...exactly!
Old 06-06-2006, 14:19   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
According to the Lancashire Evening Telegraph young Asian drivers are to be given free driving lessons because they are more at risk from accident because they drive too fast in souped up top of the range cars.

They will get lessons in cars or driving simulators depending on their ages. The young men will also be shown videos of car crashes and cut out of cars by the firebrigade to show them the dangers of driving too fast and not wearing seatbelts.

Surely we all know the risk of things we do. If these people are too stupid to realise the risks, are they not being rewarded with driving lessons that a lot of young people cannot afford?

Ok.. Im not even going to comment on this..
morgan_brotherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 15:33   #33
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
I have put two teenagers through driving tests and its cost me a small fortune... I have more to put through.. The videos, simulators and free lessons sound good... But I cant let my teenagers have access to them because ?.... because ?

Your first post in this thread could be seen as a bit of a moan, just like you accused the rest of us doing before suggesting we do something more positive about it....but came up with no sensible ideas when asked.

I hope this reply isn't too clever or full of sexual innuedo for you.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 15:41   #34
Give, give, give member

A link to the story in last night's Telegraph for anyone who didn't see it.

http://www.lancashireeveningtelegrap...ff_drivers.php

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 17:23   #35
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I like this bit in that story
Quote:
The course has specifically targeted Blackburn's Bastwell ward, where there is a high ethnic minority population
Does that not make them an ethnic majority?

And this bit
Quote:
Mr Congress' family have already called for crash barriers and speed cameras to be placed on the road a dual carriageway which has a speed limit of 60mph.
I have never seen 60mph signs on that road, it is national speed limit.

Well done LET for another good story
Old 06-06-2006, 18:24   #36
God Member

I have no concerns with drivers going fast on quite motorways etc (although the police might ) but many of these 'suped up' (aka added plastic and stuff to make it SOUND like they have a big engine)... they tend to go fast in built up areas where there are many pedestrians which is dangerous for other people not just themsleves..

Rewarding people for driving unsafely by giving driving tests which would cost safe drivers an arm and a leg, is stupid. The fact that on this occasion its limited to one race, is moronic.
Old 06-06-2006, 20:23   #37
Full Member+

You probably need to go to www.nrsi.org.uk to see what this is all about. I could`nt find an e-mail address for general comments and their forum is for members and road safety professionals only. Thank goodness we`re in safe hands!
Old 07-06-2006, 09:43   #38

I agree with Kipax here,

Jack Straw does a speech every Saturday in Blackburn on his soap box i think i will lobby my complaints. Dam it in British and proud of it! making my blood boil this topic

Blackburn Rovers Supporters Football Club

Club Website: www.brsfc.com
wozaup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 13:30   #39
I am Banned

been a few drugs bust i accrinton today acording to the news and some cars were confiscated so thats a few driving lesson expenses saved

not saying drugs pay for all these high end cars of course

i hope one of them that got caught was the dealer who uses my street as his drop off point
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 13:09   #40
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Roll up, free driving lessons!

We all like at good moan at each other about anything that displeases us, but how many people actually do anything about the topic being moaned about? Very few because we are all waiting for someone else to do it.

It’s one thing having a good moan on this forum but quite another to take the time and trouble to write to your MP or Councillor, or police etc. Has anyone written to United Utilities about the proposal to put fluoride in the water? It is still on the agenda. It’s not just this forum but others as well. We all love a good moan but when it comes to standing up and being counted most people sit down and turn away.

However there has been one good point raised in this thread. I think that it would be a great idea to teach The Highway Code to school kids in their final year and make them take the same test that is now part of the driving test. I don’t think that giving them driving lessons would be practical though.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..