Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2006, 15:26   #1
Give, give, give member

Roll up, free driving lessons!

According to the Lancashire Evening Telegraph young Asian drivers are to be given free driving lessons because they are more at risk from accident because they drive too fast in souped up top of the range cars.

They will get lessons in cars or driving simulators depending on their ages. The young men will also be shown videos of car crashes and cut out of cars by the firebrigade to show them the dangers of driving too fast and not wearing seatbelts.

Surely we all know the risk of things we do. If these people are too stupid to realise the risks, are they not being rewarded with driving lessons that a lot of young people cannot afford?

Last edited by garinda; 05-06-2006 at 16:53.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-06-2006, 15:34   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Roll up, free driving lessons!

Please don't accuse me of racism for starting this thread.

Surely the very fact that it is aimed solely at Asian youths is in its self racist?

Do white boy racers not die as well?

Old 05-06-2006, 16:04   #3
Super Moderator

When the likes of the BNP read stories like this, they must rub their hands with glee. Do the do-gooders who devise these schemes not realise the damage they are causing to race relations?
Old 05-06-2006, 16:05   #4
God Member

I have put two teenagers through driving tests and its cost me a small fortune... I have more to put through.. The videos, simulators and free lessons sound good... But I cant let my teenagers have access to them because ?.... because ?
Old 05-06-2006, 16:16   #5
God Member

Without access to tonight's Telegraph and given the fact their website tells us nowt, could someone inform us as to who is supposed to be giving these free lessons? It cannot be a publicly funded authority, for surely in so doing it would be breaking the law.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 16:21   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
It cannot be a publicly funded authority, for surely in so doing it would be breaking the law.
It might be Lottery funded
Old 05-06-2006, 16:48   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Without access to tonight's Telegraph and given the fact their website tells us nowt, could someone inform us as to who is supposed to be giving these free lessons? It cannot be a publicly funded authority, for surely in so doing it would be breaking the law.

From the LET-

'The project has been masterminded by The Neighbourhood Road Safety Initiative, Blackburn North Healthy Living Centre and Capa Road Safety with help from the Fire Service, Police, drugs officers, Paramedics and tutors from BSM.'

Old 05-06-2006, 16:55   #8
Give, give, give member

Surely is this initiative is receiving help from the emergency services it is indirectly funded from the public purse, and shouldn't be legally allowed because it bars anyone who isn't from a particular race?

Old 05-06-2006, 17:18   #9
white rabbits

My grandson is 17 next week ,,,,,I just paid for a provisonal licence ,and promised to pay for his lessons,,,if what you say is true I AM NOT A HAPPY BUNNY...
Old 05-06-2006, 17:38   #10

It's costing a fortune for me to learn to drive and even though I'm an 'older learner' and female I would still love to have free lessons. I can't even get a friend or relative to take me out even now when I am only a few weeks away from taking my practical test & scoring 35/35 on the theory test 1st time!
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 17:43   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
According to the Lancashire Evening Telegraph young Asian drivers are to be given free driving lessons because they are more at risk from accident because they drive too fast in souped up top of the range cars.
Are they teaching them how to get insurance for these cars too ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 17:49   #12
Resting In Peace

Personally I think it is a disgustingly racist gesture, I can think of a dozen white kids of British origin who would be delighted to recieve the free lessons. I think if a person drives like an idiot he/she deserves the outcome wether it be a hefty fine, an endorsed licence, a loading on their insurance or whatever. If these drivers are stopped by the police when they are exceeding the speed limit or driving dangerously, and fined accordingly hitting them in the pocket and making them realise that it is their responsibility to act sensibly when they are on the road, then that is the way to cut down or prevent death or injury on the roads, not to throw money at the problem and hope it will go away. These do gooders really **s* me off.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 17:49   #13
Resting in Peace

One as to ask if these young racers have insuenace, to insure a small car for some one under 25 is anything up to £1000, so what does a souped up motar cost for these people irispective of clour or race, or have they even got insurance?
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 18:15   #14
God Member

so how bad do you all feel about this? bad enough to post messages on accyweb or bad enough to get off your backsides and do soemhting about it?

moaning may be good for the soul (in reasonable amounts and for good reason) but it dont really get anything done now does it?
Old 05-06-2006, 18:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
so how bad do you all feel about this? bad enough to post messages on accyweb or bad enough to get off your backsides and do soemhting about it?

moaning may be good for the soul (in reasonable amounts and for good reason) but it dont really get anything done now does it?
And what, my dear Kipax, would you suggest one does?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..