Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 08:00   #1

Rover Cars

I see that once more the "government" are to step in and drag ROVER out of the mire, obviously using the taxpayers money to do this. It's happenned before and I'm sure it will happen again. ROVER have not built a good car for years so why should we, the general public support them with our taxes, after all we don't get anything back for our help when we walk into the showroom with a view to buying one.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-04-2005, 08:35   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Rover Cars

Good point Fireman.

Rover do not have a strong enough position in the car market... They have produced Substandard cars for SO long now even if the cars they sold tomorrow where excellant. They would struggle to sell them and make any profit. All due to past BAD management etc.

Let them go bump.... and save the country a fortune
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:54   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
Rover do not have a strong enough position in the car market...
Maybe the Government should limit the number of cars imported into the country. This would have the effect of forcing people to buy British.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:05   #4
I am Banned

i think most car plants are now owned by foreighn companie that have bought english names like mini is now german etc
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:08   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Maybe the Government should limit the number of cars imported into the country. This would have the effect of forcing people to buy British.
I think if people were to be limited to buying only Rover cars, then most would probably choose to not have one. Quite simply, Rover cars are crocks of sh*t and the sooner this company goes under, the better. Anyway, its always good fun seeing Brummies whinging away in their pathetic comedy accent..I'm looking forward to the next few days.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:37   #6
God Member

It is a shame for all those jobs but I agree that Rovers have been poor for some time now. Look at teh interiors, they haven't changed in nearly 10 years. That is just not acceptable nowadays. We have a small car manufacturing base that we can be proud of with Lotus/TVR/Caterham/Westfield/Noble/Grinnal etc.

If we were 'encouraged' to buy Rovers through import restrictions then we would be no better off that the Soviet Union 20 years ago.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:42   #7
Give, give, give member

Apparently the directors of the company who bought it for £10 four years ago have made over £7 million each in bonuses, yet are bleating for a government loan to save the company.

Go swing.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 11:20   #8
Member.

I nearly bought a new 75 back in February. At the 11th hour I decided to buy another Toyota Corolla and saved myself 6 grand in the process. I'm more concerned about the possibility of supporting large numbers of unemployed in the long term, not to mention retaining cost, extra benefit payments and the price of the tax payer picking up the peaces for undisclosed loans that are likely to have been already payout to Rover. Its not just Rovers work force that will be affected. Many suppliers will be forced to make lay off due to unpaid accounts and existing debt. For every man and woman working at rover their will be dependents that will need to be supported as well. The only question I want to ask is in l the long term “what is the cheapest option for the tax payer”.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 08-04-2005 at 11:21.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 11:30   #9

Didn't TVR hit the dust a few weeks ago Entwisi?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:45   #10

The Chinese Consortium, Shang Hi Motors have pulled out saying the company is too far gone. Our government are putting together £40.000.000. to pay off Rovers suppliers. I feel for the people who will lose their jobs but at the same time feel that they have been on a hiding to nothing for several years now. But comments from one worker outside the plant at lunchtime saying, "I hope all those prople who have bought Purgeot, Citreon and Toyota's are proud of themselves for allowing this to happen!" Maybe if Rover had produced as good a car as those mentioned with competetive prices and as good after sales service they would have been supported by the British car buying public.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:54   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thumbs down Re: Rover Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
The Chinese Consortium, Shang Hi Motors have pulled out saying the company is too far gone. Our government are putting together £40.000.000. to pay off Rovers suppliers. I feel for the people who will lose their jobs but at the same time feel that they have been on a hiding to nothing for several years now. But comments from one worker outside the plant at lunchtime saying, "I hope all those prople who have bought Purgeot, Citreon and Toyota's are proud of themselves for allowing this to happen!" Maybe if Rover had produced as good a car as those mentioned with competetive prices and as good after sales service they would have been supported by the British car buying public.
i read somewhere that the chinese wern't interested because of the pension deficit,as well as producing crap cars,its seems they have been robbing the poor buggers that build em!
Old 08-04-2005, 12:08   #12
I am Banned

let them loose their jobs it will be cheaper for teh government to pay benifits until they find new jobs rather than pump millions yet again into this company

when my friends buisness was in trouble the government didnt bail him out so why should these larger companies be any different

my m8 pulled his finger out and thought of a new stratergy which wasnt begging for money like rover

i suggest they do the same and solve their own problem or sod off
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 13:43   #13

How strange. Rover were noted, in years past, for being top quality cars. I owned one, can't remember the model, but it had a Honda engine in it and was really great. I suppose it would be about 13 or14 years old now. It went like a rocket as well. I remember the TV commercial for it was supposedly in Germany with two guys in the car saying it was better than a Mercedes. So, didn't BMW buy them out? What happened after that? Did they buy them out just to stiffle the competition?

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 14:31   #14
God Member

The problem with the Honda/Rover alliance was that whilst the engines were OK, the rest of the car fell to bits . Look at any j/k/l reg rover 200 or 400 series cars. Most of them are rusty or ceratinly on their way. Whilst looking at the same age Jap/German cars and they are in far better shape.

The days when Rovers were considered quality cars ended with the P6.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 13:47   #15

i beg to differ but i have a rover it has done 170.000 miles runs on gas.never missed a beat and has never let me down. i had a ford which cost me more.
folly is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..