Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 19:31   #1
God Member

Royal Visit ....

Ok you guys .... get ready to let loose your comments .... Prince Chuck and his old lady are in Canada next monday to start an 11 day Royal Visit .... Just think ... for 11 whole days Canada will be footing the bill for C&C .... I wonder what he could do in Canada that would please some of you: a little bear wrestling? Milking a wild cow moose? Rattlesnake venom collecting? Skiing in avalanche country?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-11-2009, 04:21   #2
God Member

Re: Royal Visit ....

they could start educating those dimwits that call themselves french canadian that to be french you have to be born in france and despite what they may think they are actually canadian if born in canada.

oh iv had many an argument with my friends and family over there about this one lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:10   #3
Resting in Peace

A bit of culture arriving in Canada then Eric
Old 04-11-2009, 16:46   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
A bit of culture arriving in Canada then Eric
Chuck and his old lady arrived in the centre of Canadian culture, St. John's, Newfoundland, home of screech, swish, flipper pie, and killing baby seals ... how much culture can you handle
Old 04-11-2009, 17:48   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Chuck and his old lady arrived in the centre of Canadian culture, St. John's, Newfoundland, home of screech, swish, flipper pie, and killing baby seals ... how much culture can you handle
I have not got a clue about what the first three are all about, but I would assume that firm management control of the seal population off Newfoundland is a sound way of maintaining what's left of your seriously depleted fishing stock. What more of an ecologically friendly method of dealing with this doe-eyed vermin do you want?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 18:07   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I have not got a clue about what the first three are all about, but I would assume that firm management control of the seal population off Newfoundland is a sound way of maintaining what's left of your seriously depleted fishing stock. What more of an ecologically friendly method of dealing with this doe-eyed vermin do you want?
Your assumption that the culling of the Harp seal population is essential for maintaining what is left of the fishery is right on.

Screech is Newfie rum ... swish is made by "swishing" water around inside wooden whiskey barrels in order to get at the whiskey that has soaked into the wood ... flipper pie is like Lancashire Hot Pot made with seal flippers.

And for those of you who like magnificent, beautiful, rugged scenery there is no better place on the planet to visit than the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador .... and it is home to some of the friendliest folk you are ever likely to run into
Old 04-11-2009, 18:35   #7
God Member

Maybe Eric can answer .....how come there are so many more seals these days ? something doesn't make sense to me , surely there would have been millions of the things in the old days when abundant amounts of food was available to them before over fishing depleted the Cod and other fish stocks .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 18:42   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Maybe Eric can answer .....how come there are so many more seals these days ? something doesn't make sense to me , surely there would have been millions of the things in the old days when abundant amounts of food was available to them before over fishing depleted the Cod and other fish stocks .
Without the benefit of research, I would say that the seal population is so large because the adult Harp seal is a superbly efficient killing machine, and a much better fisherman than any human ... and most of the overfishing was done by European and Asian floating vacuum cleaners ... Canada now protects its fishery and foreign ships fishing in Canadian waters are arrested. Fishery protection vessels and coastal defence ships, esp. the new "Kingston" class vessels, are constantly on patrol. The Harp seals are definitely not an endagered species .... unhappily the Newfoundland fisherman is.
Old 04-11-2009, 18:48   #9
God Member

Quote:
... flipper pie is like Lancashire Hot Pot made with seal flippers.

Do you serve it with red cabbage? If so, do you fart alot afterwards? It looks to me that the whole of Newfoundland smells like Bridge Steet in Church.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 19:38   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Do you serve it with red cabbage? If so, do you fart alot afterwards? It looks to me that the whole of Newfoundland smells like Bridge Steet in Church.
Nah ... no red cabbage ... most of the obnoxious gas in Canada can be found in Ottawa, not surprisingly, near Parliament Hill

And to keep on topic: Prince Charles will be in Ottawa on November 11, where he will place a wreath on the National War Memorial. Wearing of poppies is compulsory. Those not wearing them will be exiled to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan ... most def. a fate worse than death.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:12   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Nah ... no red cabbage ... most of the obnoxious gas in Canada can be found in Ottawa, not surprisingly, near Parliament Hill

And to keep on topic: Prince Charles will be in Ottawa on November 11, where he will place a wreath on the National War Memorial. Wearing of poppies is compulsory. Those not wearing them will be exiled to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan ... most def. a fate worse than death.
Is that a place or a serious illness Eric
Old 05-11-2009, 12:47   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

What would please me most Eric is the pair of em becoming settlers n remaining oer yon.
Old 05-11-2009, 15:30   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
What would please me most Eric is the pair of em becoming settlers n remaining oer yon.
I'm sure Eric would put them up for a while cashy
Old 05-11-2009, 15:48   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
With a population density of 2.3 per square kilometer we might be able to find a little room
Old 05-11-2009, 16:38   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Is that a place or a serious illness Eric
Good one

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..