Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should local taxes be spent celebrating this?
Yes, they should. 9 10.84%
No, they shouldn't. 74 89.16%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2011, 19:30   #196
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I didn't.

I said the people of Hyndburn who'd voted had said no.

Either way, from the evidence, and apparent lack of support, if this small cross-section is anything to go by, if I was about to launch the celebrations, I hope I'd have sense to take notice of the apparent mood.
Yeh but you aint Yellow Ribbon.
Old 15-02-2011, 19:33   #197
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Fall out with me if you will. I certainly won't lose any sleep about it..

The poll is open to anyone, true.

It provides a number of statistics and information which can be gleamed from those facts.

We can look at the over all figures, which show a vast majority voted no.

Similarly we can see how the people who'll directly fund the planned civic events have voted. Which again was against the propsals, in an equally decisive majority of no voters.

It is an open poll.

Though I, and others, questioned the motives of some, who recently received a virtual thrashing for example. When they'd posted that Accrington's streets are more violent than anywhere else in the country, and on the evidence of a dog being stabbed, were glad they'd fled north of the border.

Call it intuition, but I fear some might be just trying to swing the vote because of spite. There are some petty souls.

Statistics are there to be used. As evidenced by the phrase popularised by Mark Twain about 'Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

I've already pointed out that the no voters cover the political spectrum, as well making note of geographical location.

From ardent royalist, staunch republicans, self-proclaimed anarchists, and the many moderates in between, they've said no. All of which proof was provided by evidence in this open poll.

If I feel the need to use this proof to illustrate that this small cross-section of Hyndburn residents don't want local taxes spent on royal wedding celebrations in the borough, I will continue to do so. Until it's pointed out that it's against forum rules.

I might now work out if hair colour, and height have any sway on how people have voted.
Congratulations, the biggest load of balls posted on here for some time, the shame is I agree with most of what you say about council spending on this item but not how you're going about it.
However if I'm upsetting you, please be petty enough to put me on your ignore list.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 19:34   #198
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post

So you can start with finding out exactly what the HBC budget is.

Until then, stop bothering with what's happening down in the smoke. This is the Accy website, not THBC. And while you're at it - stop bullying Katex. I was disgusted by the way the poor lady was subject to the most savage assaults, unparalleled in its naked brutality in the annals of Accy Web. As a sound patriot and proud subject of Her Majesty and her heirs and descendants and with a true grasp of history, she should have been treated with far more courtesy than this.
We're trying to find out our budget, and are hopeful that a councillor present might share what the Council Leader said, when asked what is was.

We're also still hopeful you'll provide the evidence of your own council's £240,000.00 wedding celebration budget.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 19:36   #199
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Congratulations, the biggest load of balls posted on here for some time, the shame is I agree with most of what you say about council spending on this item but not how you're going about it.
However if I'm upsetting you, please be petty enough to put me on your ignore list.
You're not upsetting me.

I think it's amusing.

For quite some time you only seem to have problems with women.

Old 15-02-2011, 19:39   #200
God Member

Quote:
It provides a number of statistics and information which can be gleamed from those facts.

You're obviously not a statistician. 56 votes out of a Hyndburn population of 80,000 is sweet buggar all and no way can be regarded as a represntative sample.

If you then take out the resident loonatics, oddballs, marxist-leninists, drunkards and wife-beaters, you're left with about seven people who are capable of making a rational decision on expenditure on the Royal Wedding spending.

Funny, innit, how all those have voted for.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 19:43   #201
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Funny, innit, how all those have voted for.
Yes, in this small cross-section they've voted an overwhelming no, to their taxes being spent on local civic celebrations..

Funny?

Evidence suggests they find it otherwise.

Old 15-02-2011, 19:43   #202
JCB

Quote:
I didn't.

I said the people of Hyndburn who'd voted had said no.
Correct . I misread your sentence .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 19:46   #203
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Correct . I misread your sentence .
Unlike some others, I do 'try' to be factual.

Old 15-02-2011, 19:54   #204

Quote:
You're not upsetting me.

I think it's amusing.

For quite some time you only seem to have problems with women.

You don't seem amused, you seem to be clutching at imaginary straws that would not be needed if you were the usual Rindy.
If you were the usual Rindy you wouldn't try hurting me by attacking what you think is my weak point.
I for one can't understand it, but feel free, I know you wouldn't be like this normally.
A joke here, a bitchy remark there but in control, not like this.
Old 15-02-2011, 19:59   #205
Senior Member+

Whatever HBC spends on the royal wedding will be too much, in these times of drastic cuts priorities should be saving jobs and services not frittering away funds on street parties and the like.No matter which part of the country it is North or South it makes no difference its a waste of money.!!!!!!!!
Old 15-02-2011, 20:00   #206
Give, give, give member

Quote:
please be petty enough to put me on your ignore list.
Never felt the need for that, Princess Pernickety.

Am lucky to have a similar, yet inbuilt facility, which allows me to do just that.

Boring?

Whoosh.

On to something that isn't.

Old 15-02-2011, 20:04   #207
God Member

Quote:
Yes, in this small cross-section they've voted an overwhelming no, to their taxes being spent on local civic celebrations..

Funny?

Evidence suggests they find it otherwise.
So what's your point?

Is it that the population of Hyndburn are inherently republican, with a political strain lying somewhere between Cromwellian puritism and the mad mullahs of Iran?

Is it that the population of Hyndburn is not prepared to take part in a celebration that will invariably boost the national economy?

Is it that Hyndburn has finally acknowledged that it is a third-world borough, on a par with some of the poorer towns on the Indian sub-continent, and so can't afford a little knees-up?

Answers, please.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 20:07   #208
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You don't seem amused, you seem to be clutching at imaginary straws that would not be needed if you were the usual Rindy.
If you were the usual Rindy you wouldn't try hurting me by attacking what you think is my weak point.
I for one can't understand it, but feel free, I know you wouldn't be like this normally.
A joke here, a bitchy remark there but in control, not like this.
Some mythical 'Rindy', who you feel always acts in a certain way?

For God's sake get real.

If I've broken forum rules report me.

If not I will carry on as normal.

Which in this case is saying something is wrong, and considering the savage cuts we're only just begining to see, I'd say was verging on the immoral.

If I want to differentiate evidence that can be gleamed from a public poll, to illustrate public opinion, I will do.

Old 15-02-2011, 20:08   #209

Quote:
Never felt the need for that, Princess Pernickety.

Am lucky to have a similar, yet inbuilt facility, which allows me to do just that.

Boring?

Whoosh.

On to something that isn't.

I'll see how you are tomorrow, if you feel the same then, then I'll take offence, this isn't the Rindy I'm used to.
Old 15-02-2011, 20:10   #210
Senior Member+

Quote:
So what's your point?

Is it that the population of Hyndburn are inherently republican, with a political strain lying somewhere between Cromwellian puritism and the mad mullahs of Iran?

Is it that the population of Hyndburn is not prepared to take part in a celebration that will invariably boost the national economy?

Is it that Hyndburn has finally acknowledged that it is a third-world borough, on a par with some of the poorer towns on the Indian sub-continent, and so can't afford a little knees-up?

Answers, please.
Boost the NATIONAL economy any boosts will be lucky to make it ten miles north of London you will be trying to tell us that the olympics will be good for the country next

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..