Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should local taxes be spent celebrating this?
Yes, they should. 9 10.84%
No, they shouldn't. 74 89.16%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2011, 18:28   #271
Give, give, give member

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
O.K.
We'll try this...
Rindy, I humbly apologise for whatever it was you imagined I deserved your vicious rant for, I will never disagree with you in the slightest way, you are obviously superior and although I meant you no harm with whatever upset you, I deserve severe castigation for even thinking it. (even though I didn't)
Does that make you feel better?
I thought we were mates, please, prove me right.
(I still think by the way, no need to worry about the foreigners voting, the no vote as represented as it is on here is a landslide).
Pease don't turn this debate into an off thread argument.

I think it's too important an issue for that.

You disagreed with how I gave facts gleamed from the open poll. I defended my right to do so, and still do. So we'll have to agree to disagree.

As for being vicious, besides making reference to your comic relationship to someone who apparently has you on ignore, I wasn't.

So, back on thread...

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-02-2011, 18:36   #272
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The thing is Labour would probably have spent three times the money on it
Where do you get your 'facts' from? Although I maintain your right to do so, sometimes you talk absolute balls.

As I keep saying to The Emperor, the residents of Hyndburn are bothered about frontline services first and foremost, not overly-expensive parades and photo opportunities with the Queen of the May.

Still, after he herded his sheep into the overview and scrutiny meeting yesterday to bleat on about 13 years of Labour rule it's good to know that I'm on really impartial committee which isn't in any way chaired by someone whose true colours shine through when the Leader is present.

I wish that you had the capability to come to such meetings, John. You might find that your view of the collossal ego that rules Hyndburn's future isn't quite so rosy these days.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 18:45   #273
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Pease don't turn this debate into an off thread argument.

I think it's too important an issue for that.

You disagreed with how I gave facts gleamed from the open poll. I defended my right to do so, and still do. So we'll have to agree to disagree.

As for being vicious, besides making reference to your comic relationship to someone who apparently has you on ignore, I wasn't.

So, back on thread...
So rather than face the fact I agree with the poll but not neccesarily with your interpretation, you continue with withering posts.

If, and I agree this thread is important, you wish to continue, put your insults in a P.M. and leave the thread alone, it's your input to me that is dragging it further down, insult me if you want, but tell me why you wish to be so nasty.

P.S. I look forward to answering it.

Last edited by Less; 16-02-2011 at 18:49.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 18:48   #274
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
When was the last time Hyndburn spent council taxes on royal weddings.. when I was up there the pubs were opened all day and that was it... some streets did put a bit of a do on but I doubt it was paid for by the council.
That's my recollection .

Plenty in the pubs because it was a holiday .

Just a few street parties .

And most who were interested watching it on the TV.

Let people do their own thing at their own expense .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 18:50   #275
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

I wish that you had the capability to come to such meetings, John. You might find that your view of the collossal ego that rules Hyndburn's future isn't quite so rosy these days.
There were times I used to attend every council meeting Ken, and even Group meetings too, but I gave that up long before I was incapacitated, mainly for two reasons, firstly I had to stop driving and secondly there seemed little point seeing that all items put before each committee had already been decided and they became just a rubber stamping exercise, would appear nothing much has changed in that time except the colour of the council
Old 16-02-2011, 18:53   #276
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
That's my recollection .

...and the last major royal wedding, was in July 1981.

We had snow last April.

The fact that the wedding is in the spring might put off all but the most determined of street party throwers.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 18:54   #277
Resting in Peace

Quote:
That's my recollection .

As I've said earlier JCB I was living in Hassy at the time but can't remember too many street parties when Charlie got wed, the last street parties I remember was when her Maj was crowned in 52 or was it 53
Old 16-02-2011, 19:01   #278
Common Sense Member

Quote:
There were times I used to attend every council meeting Ken, and even Group meetings too, but I gave that up long before I was incapacitated, mainly for two reasons, firstly I had to stop driving and secondly there seemed little point seeing that all items put before each committee had already been decided and they became just a rubber stamping exercise, would appear nothing much has changed in that time except the colour of the council
Up until yesterday, my faith in the Overview and Scrutiny committee has been absolute. However, Peter Britcliffe turned what should have been a private interview with the panel into a media circus and invited the public along so he could showboat. Unfortunately for him, he found out just how galling it is to be accused of owning a property which isn't his.

What goes around comes around, Peter.

Old 16-02-2011, 19:06   #279
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Up until yesterday, my faith in the Overview and Scrutiny committee has been absolute. However, Peter Britcliffe turned what should have been a private interview with the panel into a media circus and invited the public along so he could showboat. Unfortunately for him, he found out just how galling it is to be accused of owning a property which isn't his.

What goes around comes around, Peter.
You wrote that as if Peter is reading it
Old 16-02-2011, 19:18   #280
JCB

Quote:
the last street parties I remember was when her Maj was crowned in 52 or was it 53
Yes , Jaysay , and I remember it being a wet day . I should have gone to a bonfire in the evening but was told it was off because of the rain .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 19:21   #281
Full Member+

Quote:
Reckon we should have a poll on Britcliffe: IN or OUT? I think I can guess the result of such a poll without too much stirring of the old gray matter!
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 19:26   #282
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
Reckon we should have a poll on Britcliffe: IN or OUT? I think I can guess the result of such a poll without too much stirring of the old gray matter!
Would be a no brainer Stumped he's a very popular man is our Peter, in the Rose and Crown
Old 16-02-2011, 19:29   #283
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yes , Jaysay , and I remember it being a wet day . I should have gone to a bonfire in the evening but was told it was off because of the rain .
Ya it did rain late on, I was only about 6 at the time and there was a Street Party in Hobgson Street, but it started raining and we finished up in the Foxhill Grove Church Hall and Hartley Street
Old 16-02-2011, 19:31   #284
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
In all honesty I wish it was a no brainer, I always want the person in control to produce the best results, but what the heck, if we had that everytime we wouldn't need to vote.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 20:18   #285
Common Sense Member

Quote:
He quotes my own musings verbatim, rattles on about 'tweets' and Accyweb continually and seems incensed by the fact that I use this forum to convey what is actually happening at Britcliffe HQ.

It certainly doesn't bother me, if it bothers him it smacks of a guilty conscience.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..