Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should local taxes be spent celebrating this?
Yes, they should. 9 10.84%
No, they shouldn't. 74 89.16%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-03-2011, 22:15   #391

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Should balancs that out, apparently Miles is great to work with.
Josie Bloggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-03-2011, 06:49   #392
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Bloggs View Post
Why isnt this reported in the local papers? I guess this explains why I dont buy them, theres never anything interesting. BECAUSE THEY IGNORE IT. Does any of the cabinet action fund go to free lunches with journalists, I wonder.....

Hyndburn has a bad political culture. People who work for the council tell me GJones was rude (almost bullying))), so even tho I support labour, I worry about him.

Allegedly.
I've heard Graham talk to a lot of people and he is always forthright and firm. He is passionate, committed to the good of Hyndburn and knows local politics inside out plus he will let you finish talking before he replies. Of any complaint that can be laid against him there is only one man I can think of who would probably describe him as 'rude'.

Speaking as someone who has been on a steep learning curve and been gently steered back on course when I've slipped up, I can also categorically confirm that he is no bully.

Best man for the job, just listen to him speak.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 08:09   #393
Beacon of light

I have never heard anyone say a bad word about Graham Jones(well, except one....who is a political foe,so expected)everyone who knows him will tell you he is hard working and his focus is for the good of the town...he has no egomaniacal tendencies either.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 08:15   #394
Common Sense Member

Quote:
」15 grand!!! What the f? Surely the money could be better spent? That's ourtragous, never thought it was so much. If people want street parties, great let them make there own sarnies. How does that budget break down. Please tell me my council tax isnt paying officers to arrange celebrations.
We haven't actually been told the breakdown of the costing or how they arrived at that figure. There is some doubt as to whether this will even be the final cost as the fireworks display alone has been mooted at 」6,000 (」4,000 for the fireworks, 」2,000 to close the road).

This is your money, ask the question.

Councillors - Peter Britcliffe

You could always e-mail [email protected] although that will take up to 20 working days for a response.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 09:07   #395
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
」15,000 pounds. You could keep public toilets open for 18 months on that !!
Not to mention Hargreaves House..... total waste of money is my personal view.....
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 09:26   #396

Not only that but they chose my wedding day to get married - which is now a bank holiday. makin my wedding nearly 50% more expensive! Thanks royals!!

- Look in the mirror before you start to judge others -
Lancashire Lassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 10:01   #397
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancashire Lassie View Post
Not only that but they chose my wedding day to get married - which is now a bank holiday. makin my wedding nearly 50% more expensive! Thanks royals!!
Surely if you'd already booked your wedding they can't increase the cost
Old 25-03-2011, 09:51   #398

no
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 14:53   #399
Senior Member+

Ere you go, tells us what streets are going to be closed so far and what our leader has said about it...........................

East Lancashire set for 25 royal wedding street parties (From Lancashire Telegraph)
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 21:30   #400

I spoke to someone who knows people who work at HBC who will get extra pay for working over the weekend and the bank hols. Staff that basically do what PB says to help him get elected. Will they get paid double time and will that be included in the councils budget for the wedding. I agree with what most people are saying, up for partying, I remember enjoying Charles and Di getting wed when I was a kid. But we got together with neighbours, we didn't have fireworks in Accy. If there were some I cant remember anyway, but I was only a nipper.
Josie Bloggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 22:19   #401
God Member

Quote:
I spoke to someone who knows people who work at HBC who will get extra pay for working over the weekend and the bank hols. Staff that basically do what PB says to help him get elected. Will they get paid double time and will that be included in the councils budget for the wedding. I agree with what most people are saying, up for partying, I remember enjoying Charles and Di getting wed when I was a kid. But we got together with neighbours, we didn't have fireworks in Accy. If there were some I cant remember anyway, but I was only a nipper.
I remember the Queen's coronation .... but I was only a nipper
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 03:46   #402
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I remember the Queen's coronation .... but I was only a nipper
seem to remember we got a lead/gunmetal model of the Coronation Coach and Horses , , melted it down a few years later on a bunsen burner (part of a Christmas present Chemistry set, could hook it up to a tap on the side of the gas oven used for the Gas boiler ) in an attempt to make ammo for my air rifle.

sorry for thread wander
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 17:50   #403
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
seem to remember we got a lead/gunmetal model of the Coronation Coach and Horses , , melted it down a few years later on a bunsen burner (part of a Christmas present Chemistry set, could hook it up to a tap on the side of the gas oven used for the Gas boiler ) in an attempt to make ammo for my air rifle.

sorry for thread wander
Do they still sell chemistry sets for kids this day and age
Old 26-04-2011, 13:22   #404
Senior Member+

So this is the final list of street party's in East Lancs.

Final list of official wedding street parties revealed for East Lancashire (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Does anyone live on any of these streets or is anyone attending a street party?
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 14:48   #405
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thank god none on our street.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..