Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should local taxes be spent celebrating this?
Yes, they should. 9 10.84%
No, they shouldn't. 74 89.16%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-04-2011, 22:21   #466
Senior Member+

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
No offence to anyone, but it did cross my mind, if a bomb had gone off in the Abbey, killing the extended Royal Family, and every crowned head in Europe, who'd next succeed the throne?
Off the top of my head, it would be a toss up between Brooklyn Beckham and the Elton John/David Furnish love child.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-04-2011, 22:24   #467
God Member

Quote:
Wasn't the budget revealed to be £15,000.00?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I've remembered incorrectly.
Amazing isn't it. For our part in trying to make the town centre a livelier place to be we took the massively life changing figure of £10 it was that dead. As long as him and his cronies enjoyed the champagne and oysters don't suppose it really matters.
Old 29-04-2011, 22:24   #468
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Off the top of my head, it would be a toss up between Brooklyn Beckham and the Elton John/David Furnish love child.
Nah.

I think the Stuart Pretender would try to retake the throne.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 22:27   #469
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
As long as him and his cronies enjoyed the champagne and oysters don't suppose it really matters.
Perhaps that's what the person in charge of the Market Hall clicker was buying, when I saw her in Tesco yesterday.

Old 29-04-2011, 23:07   #470

Quote:
Amazing isn't it. For our part in trying to make the town centre a livelier place to be we took the massively life changing figure of £10 it was that dead.
Does that cover that cover the electric for the day? £15K on promoting people into the town on a Friday(for some gathering or other), when people are off work, kids off school and all you make is £10.

Shame on this council, I thought the plan was to lessen empty shops, not create them.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 23:19   #471
God Member

Wink Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Amazing isn't it. For our part in trying to make the town centre a livelier place to be we took the massively life changing figure of £10 it was that dead. As long as him and his cronies enjoyed the champagne and oysters don't suppose it really matters.
Sounds very much like you didn't make much from you creative wedding T-Shirts?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 23:32   #472
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
The day was absolutely brilliant,,,,,,,,,,What a smashing couple,Diana would have been so proud,,,,
Totally agree, a great day and am sure Diana was looking down and adding her blessings.
Old 30-04-2011, 06:16   #473
Senior Member+

I'm afraid that not all the fashion statements were a success. Who told this poor girl she looked good in this monstrosity?

http://db2.stb01.s-msn.com/i/53/E2DB...FF631EBC55.jpg
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 06:34   #474
Beacon of light

They both seem to have the style and panache of overflowing dustbins.......though I am pretty sure Garinda could give us an educated opinion on the style choices made by these two young ladies.

Like the song says 'You've either got, or you haven't got style...and when you got it, it stands out a mile'

Having seen some more of the wedding on Sky TV this morning(I was hoping for some news....but ah well)Catherine looked stunning, regal and modest.......and the couple looked genuinely happy....unlike the uncomfortable looks that his father had when he married Diana...but now we all know why that was.

I hope they both have a long and happy life together.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 07:59   #475
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
They both seem to have the style and panache of overflowing dustbins.......though I am pretty sure Garinda could give us an educated opinion on the style choices made by these two young ladies.

Like the song says 'You've either got, or you haven't got style...and when you got it, it stands out a mile'

Having seen some more of the wedding on Sky TV this morning(I was hoping for some news....but ah well)Catherine looked stunning, regal and modest.......and the couple looked genuinely happy....unlike the uncomfortable looks that his father had when he married Diana...but now we all know why that was.

Their mother's Fergie.

Enough said.

Even Vivienne Westwood can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

Like their mother, they always try too hard, and look over the top.

For inspiration they should look to the Duchess of Kent, or her daughter Lady Helen Taylot, when it comes to understated chic.

Last fashion tit-bit - the fascinator is dead. Wear a proper hat.

Old 30-04-2011, 08:37   #476
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

Can't comment on the fashion; don't know jack about that stuff. But I do agree that they looked happy and relaxed, and, you are right when you note that this happiness came across as "genuine". I think that these two have it in them to re-invent the monarchy. Bad news for the republicans, eh.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 08:41   #477
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Lets be honest here,its hard not to look happy on yer wedding day init? though Charles managed the miserable effect years ago.
Old 30-04-2011, 09:06   #478
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Sounds very much like you didn't make much from you creative wedding T-Shirts?

We made and sold a grand total of 0. I guess the town is not a royalist one
Old 30-04-2011, 09:48   #479
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
And Nero fiddled while Rome burnt !
Oh no he didn't.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 11:54   #480
Senior Member+

Quote:
'People love to party and the Royal Wedding of William and Kate provides a great opportunity for a good old "knees up". We are planning a whole host of events here in Hyndburn and also want to make it as easy as possible for local people to celebrate this historic event in your own way including staging your own street party. Ideas are very much at the early stages, but we'd like to have our very our own Hyndburn Royal Wedding festival over the Easter weekend starting on Friday 22 April, taking in St George's day on Monday 25 April and then over the following weekend starting on the big day itself 29 April and running until the May Day Bank Holiday on Mon 2 May. Watch the Observer for more news as ideas are firmed up.'
Leaders Viewpoint February 2011

Is this wedding important enough to you, that you're happy that tax payers' money will be spent celebrating the event here in Hyndburn?
I don't get the hysteria at all! What is to be happy about these people getting married? Are you all morons or what
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..