Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



View Poll Results: Should local taxes be spent celebrating this?
Yes, they should. 9 10.84%
No, they shouldn't. 74 89.16%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2011, 10:05   #61
Beacon of light

 
Margaret Pilkington's Avatar
Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

I haven't posted much in this thread because I have already expressed my opinion in the Market Hall one(I think)....but for the record, I voted with the 'No' gang because in these times of financial austerity, I think it is wrong to cut services(I would rather have the public conveniences open, than a pointless party to celebrate a Royal Wedding) and then splurge public money on something like this.........again, it is like going to the pictures when you have no food in the house.

Must be the influence of my Methodist/Catholic upbringing.......the one where you choose essentials over the fripperies.
__________________
Stop wearing a wishbone where your backbone should be.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-02-2011, 10:29   #62
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well none have had the balls to post, which i regard as gutless.
Think Kate would have big problems in that department cashy
__________________
35 YEARS AND COUNTING
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 10:31   #63
Senior Member
 
Alan Varrechia's Avatar
 

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Big fat NO from me. Money would be better spent on more important things.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 10:34   #64
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think Kate would have big problems in that department cashy

I think Cashy's referring to those who voted that HBC should spend money on this wedding celebration, who don't live in the borough, but who haven't posted why. Which of course is their right. Though it would be interesting to know their reasoning.
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 11:18   #65
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I think Cashy's referring to those who voted that HBC should spend money on this wedding celebration, who don't live in the borough, but who haven't posted why. Which of course is their right. Though it would be interesting to know their reasoning.
G my post was tongue in cheek mate, pointing out gender
__________________
35 YEARS AND COUNTING
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 11:45   #66
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!
Addiction Solitaire Champion!

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

well 6 have voted YES now, strange how only 2 of em live here n have to pay fer it.
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 11:46   #67
Super Moderator


 
Wynonie Harris's Avatar
 

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
They have already posted by voting, Cashy .. not like it's secret .... anyone can see who has voted one way or the other.

There are quite a few people who have voted 'no' that don't live in Hyndburn too.
OK, Kate, I voted no because at a time of massive cuts in local government spending, to waste money on fripperies like this is farcical and an insult to cash-strapped council taxpayers, just as flashdance happenings and Victorian swimming on Broadway and all the other pseudo-artistic junk that has been inflicted on the town recently is.

Plain enough for you, Kate?
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 11:48   #68
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well 6 have voted YES now, strange how only 2 of em live here n have to pay fer it.
Yes, a vote from Spain.

__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 11:56   #69
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Let me make it clear, every single member is entitled, and indeed very welcome to vote in this poll. From Burnley to Beijing....press your buzzers now!

However, since the thread is about whether Hyndburn Council should be spending tax payers' money on public celebrations, regarding this wedding, personally I'm more interested in local public opinion. Which can be assessed because it's an open poll.

So far, it seems the vast majority of people whose council tax will pay for it, don't seem very keen, to say the least.
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 12:21   #70
Super Moderator


 
Wynonie Harris's Avatar
 

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Well, the reason I voted is that, although I no longer live in the area, I still regard myself as an Accy lad and I care very much about what happens to the town and, its surroundings.

Incidentally, the reason why I didn't post my views originally was because it's a no-brainer - obviously it's sheer folly to squander public money on Royal Weddings when basics like public toilets are being closed down - and I assumed that the few who voted in favour were being tongue-in-cheek or just wanted to be controversial.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 12:37   #71
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Well, the reason I voted is that, although I no longer live in the area, I still regard myself as an Accy lad and I care very much about what happens to the town and, its surroundings.

Incidentally, the reason why I didn't post my views originally was because it's a no-brainer - obviously it's sheer folly to squander public money on Royal Weddings when basics like public toilets are being closed down - and I assumed that the few who voted in favour were being tongue-in-cheek or just wanted to be controversial.
Not having a go at anyone.

You posted your view, and gave your vote.

Like you say, you're back here very often. Everyone on this forum will have some connection to the area, and their votes are welcomed too.

Though since those who voted yes are in a very small minority, it would be interesting to know their views on why they think local taxes should be spent on this jamboree. Seeing as it won't be them coughing up the dosh for it.
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 12:41   #72
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I still regard myself as an Accy lad
You probably spend more time in Accy than your childhood bezzy.

Since he relocated Britcliffe Towers to Ossy.

__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 12:42   #73
Super Moderator


 
Wynonie Harris's Avatar
 

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Not having a go at anyone.
I know you're not, Gary. I just didn't want anyone to think I was wimping out by not posting my views originally.

I may be a lot of things, but I'm not mealy-mouthed...unlike a lot of political posters on this forum.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 12:45   #74
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I know you're not, Gary. I just didn't want anyone to think I was wimping out by not posting my views originally.

I may be a lot of things, but I'm not mealy-mouthed...unlike a lot of political posters on this forum.
Yes, it seems our councillors have no views one way or the other, on how council taxes are being planned to be spent, marking the occasion of Wills taking Kate up the aisle.

__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 12:48   #75
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!
Addiction Solitaire Champion!

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Yes, it seems our councillors have no views one way or the other, on how council taxes are being planned to be spent, marking the occasion of Wills taking Kate up the aisle.

Par fer the coarse, then they scratch heads as to why so few vote these days.
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 16:05.


© 2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com


Page generated in 0.31788 seconds with 13 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1