Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should local taxes be spent celebrating this?
Yes, they should. 9 10.84%
No, they shouldn't. 74 89.16%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2011, 11:49   #76
Super Moderator

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
your childhood bezzy.
Sssshhh!...I try to keep that quiet!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-02-2011, 12:34   #77
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Par fer the coarse, then they scratch heads as to why so few vote these days.
For what it's worth Cashy, I wouldn't spend a penny on it. But it's not my decision as you well know.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 12:40   #78
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
For what it's worth Cashy, I wouldn't spend a penny on it. But it's not my decision as you well know.

Well if you did spend a penny on it......it would probably be because the local lavvy is shut and you couldn't quite make it to the Market Hall.

Thanks Bernard......you really made me smile!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 12:55   #79
Resting in Peace

[quote=garinda;883078]Yes, marking the occasion of Wills taking Kate up the aisle.

I really must go to Spec Savers,nearly put my foot in it again .

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 13:38   #80
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
good man,i am well aware. but theres many that aint, always best to come out the closet.
Old 13-02-2011, 18:13   #81
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
It is an ideal time to book a flight abroad I found - there are more incoming tourists so outward (the return) flights are plentiful.
This is not quite true, Margaret, paradoxically, it is working the other way. Thos. Cook are doing extremely well with their bookings of people wishing to get away from these celebrations, which more than makes up for their cancelled bookings to Tunisia and Egypt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
I'm no Royalist and I'd rather eat my own spleen with a rusty spoon than watch that pile of pants. ( But I'll take the day off though, thank you very much!)
Perhaps we should have let people who are so concerned about councils spending money on such events, vote to work that day then .. would have been more of a statement.

Quote:
Some rude, judgemental people, might well say that some other people obviously have more money than sense.

That's not very gentlemanly, Garinda ... bringing that up ... I did do a U-turn on my prattish remark and apologised publicly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
OK, Kate, I voted no because at a time of massive cuts in local government spending, to waste money on fripperies like this is farcical and an insult to cash-strapped council taxpayers, just as flashdance happenings and Victorian swimming on Broadway and all the other pseudo-artistic junk that has been inflicted on the town recently is.

Plain enough for you, Kate?
That 'eyes to heaven' emoticon should not be aimed at me. I did not express a view that, whichever way people voted, they should explain themselves.

As I am in the middle of composing a 15,000 words reply (ok exaggeration), I may consider posting it later, however, knowing that it will be subject to heavy criticism, analysis of every word and general insults I may back down.

Seems to me though, there are a couple of issues going on in the minds of people who have voted 'No', not just the economy .. just the ones that dislike the monarchy anyway, and would vote this way no matter what the question was. Also, a couple that I suspect is politically biased against our Conservative council.

For instance, even though I am not overly fond of football, I would still vote a yes to the Council backing up our Accrington Stanley, a minority pleasure for some, even in the face of this gloomy economy if they decided to do so.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 18:18   #82
Beacon of light

Well Kate, I can tell you now, that my 'NO' is purely from the point I have already made.......I do not dislike the Royal family, but have no wish to participate in the pseudo celebrations around the wedding(have never been much of a one for big celebrations myself...and those who know me will confirm this).....I have no political axe to grind either.
I just cannot see the point of wasting money that could be otherwise used to enhance our local standard of living.
Old 13-02-2011, 18:19   #83
Beacon of light

Oh, yes....and if I were still of a working age...I would happily volunteer to work.
Old 13-02-2011, 18:36   #84
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
This is not quite true, Margaret, paradoxically, it is working the other way. Thos. Cook are doing extremely well with their bookings of people wishing to get away from these celebrations, which more than makes up for their cancelled bookings to Tunisia and Egypt.

Perhaps we should have let people who are so concerned about councils spending money on such events, vote to work that day then .. would have been more of a statement.

That's not very gentlemanly, Garinda ... bringing that up ... I did do a U-turn on my prattish remark and apologised publicly.

That 'eyes to heaven' emoticon should not be aimed at me. I did not express a view that, whichever way people voted, they should explain themselves.

As I am in the middle of composing a 15,000 words reply (ok exaggeration), I may consider posting it later, however, knowing that it will be subject to heavy criticism, analysis of every word and general insults I may back down.

Seems to me though, there are a couple of issues going on in the minds of people who have voted 'No', not just the economy .. just the ones that dislike the monarchy anyway, and would vote this way no matter what the question was. Also, a couple that I suspect is politically biased against our Conservative council.

For instance, even though I am not overly fond of football, I would still vote a yes to the Council backing up our Accrington Stanley, a minority pleasure for some, even in the face of this gloomy economy if they decided to do so.
In reply to my little bit, I did say I'd nerver say that, as I'm not that rude, or judgemental.

Since you're happy paying for this shebang, perhaps you and Neil, the only two happy locals, might want to contact the council, and tell them you two will pay for it all, happily splitting the difference.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 18:39   #85
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well Kate, I can tell you now, that my 'NO' is purely from the point I have already made.......I do not dislike the Royal family, but have no wish to participate in the pseudo celebrations around the wedding(have never been much of a one for big celebrations myself...and those who know me will confirm this).....I have no political axe to grind either.
I just cannot see the point of wasting money that could be otherwise used to enhance our local standard of living.
Obviously you are one of the ones that voted irrespective of your thoughts on the Royal Family and just that money could be spent better elsewhere, so was not aimed at you.

Ok then, first point that grabs me on this is that we do not really know what budget is allowed for these celebrations. I speculate it will be a drop in the Ocean to the cuts that are being imposed on them. I don't quite know how the accounts are set out at HBC, but suspect will be coming out of some sort of Community Project's fund that covers things like art, flower towers, Christmas decorations .. anything that brightens up our surroundings. Would you wish this budget to be put back into the General Fund then, so that there will never be any 'cheer up' factors provided by our town ? The town will look lovely with flower displays and buntings in our national colours of Red, White and Blue .. people spend more in towns when they are feeling cheeria (is that a word ?),

There will be gains... the firework display, for instance, always brings plenty of people into town with their children and, providing the shops stay open will be of benefit. I don't see that the traders would object actually ... or the shop assistants, a chance to earn some overtime money; not easily available in this economic climate.

Again, not aimed at you Margaret .. just my initial thoughts on the financial side of it all.
Old 13-02-2011, 18:48   #86
Beacon of light

Kate, when I was a youngster(and that's a long time ago) we lived by the premise 'look after the pennies'....so it may only be a drop in the ocean as you put it, but if all the drops were caught then we have enough for a cuppa.
As for the question...would I like the cheer up money to go back to the General Fund....leaving nothing for the fripperies....well, actually, yes I would. I will cheer up when I think someone has a sensible grasp on the seriousness of our situation.

And Fireworks......well, that is like lighting paper money......remember it is going to be lighter in the evening by the time this couple tie the knot....so would you have the shops staying open until.....say 10pm?
Who on earth wants to be serving hot dogs, ice cream and candy floss to truculent children who should be in bed anyway?

I'm sorry if I sound carmudgeonly, but Prince William himself has asked for low key celebrations.....personally I would opt for no key celebrations.
I wish I could get away somewhere without TV for a few days.
Old 13-02-2011, 18:48   #87
Give, give, give member

I've no hidden agenda.

I've stated I'm a republican, AND I think it's shameful to be wasting tax payers' money on celebrating this wedding in Hyndburn.

If some daft sods want to trim their houses up with bunting, and dress up as a Union Jack festooned Pearly Queen, fine. That's their right, but they should pay for it themselves.

The yes voters might not like it, but they are in a tiny minority. Most people don't want any civic celebration, which they will have to fund.

Katie Price's next wedding will probably illicit more local interest. Though happily we won't have to cough up for that jamboree.

Just a point, re: street parties.

We had snow last April.

Old 13-02-2011, 18:53   #88
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Obviously you are one of the ones that voted irrespective of your thoughts on the Royal Family and just that money could be spent better elsewhere, so was not aimed at you.

Ok then, first point that grabs me on this is that we do not really know what budget is allowed for these celebrations. I speculate it will be a drop in the Ocean to the cuts that are being imposed on them. I don't quite know how the accounts are set out at HBC, but suspect will be coming out of some sort of Community Project's fund that covers things like art, flower towers, Christmas decorations .. anything that brightens up our surroundings. Would you wish this budget to be put back into the General Fund then, so that there will never be any 'cheer up' factors provided by our town ? The town will look lovely with flower displays and buntings in our national colours of Red, White and Blue .. people spend more in towns when they are feeling cheeria (is that a word ?),

There will be gains... the firework display, for instance, always brings plenty of people into town with their children and, providing the shops stay open will be of benefit. I don't see that the traders would object actually ... or the shop assistants, a chance to earn some overtime money; not easily available in this economic climate.

Again, not aimed at you Margaret .. just my initial thoughts on the financial side of it all.
This thread is about whether local taxes should fund a civic celebration in Hyndburn.

Nothing else.

Whatever people's motives are for thinking it's wrong to do so, not one person has mentioned the actual cost of the wedding to us itself.

That is a totally different topic.

This poll and thread relates to the local funding costs.

Old 13-02-2011, 19:00   #89
Give, give, give member

I do think it more than a little rich that the main apologist for forking out dosh for this ding-dong, recently criticised others for spending eight quid a head on a lunch.

Peoples' jobs are at very real risk locally, and we are about to see the biggest cuts in services in living memory, and yet some people think the best thing to do is dance in the friggin' streets.

That to me, is both stupid, and immoral.

If the cupboards bare, you don't go into debt ny borrowing money to throw a party.

Well you can, I suppose.

You'd be an imbecile.

But you could do.

Old 13-02-2011, 19:05   #90
Resting in Peace

Quote:
This thread is about whether local taxes should fund a civic celebration in Hyndburn.

Nothing else.

Whatever people's motives are for thinking it's wrong to do so, not one person has mentioned the actual cost of the wedding to us itself.

That is a totally different topic.

This poll and thread relates to the local funding costs.

Err .. exactly. That's what I am trying to get at. But we don't know the cost as yet, but is not exactly a 'civic celebration' is it ? Am trying to get at the financial gains for this spending. However, you cannot ignore any feel good factors it brings to our town .. that is priceless.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..