Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2004, 13:49   #1
Senior Member+

Rutland Street/Blackburn road area

Earlier this year, a new scheme called "Elevate" won £103 million of Government money - this is to breathe new life into East Lancashires towns, which of course Accrington comes under. It was revealed that one in 5 homes in the area are unfit to live in??????
The scheme will involve various councils using private developers to pull down thousands of rundown council and privately owned houses, many of them pre 1919 terraced. They are to be replaced by a smaller number of modern houses. In Accrington's case, this is going to affect along Blackburn Road area, Rutland Street and surrounding areas.
Work on a new, huge, health centre is also in the pipeline, but not until Spring 2006.
Property owners in the affected area will be given the chance to NEGOTIATE (?) with the Council over the sale of their homes and businesses, until CPO's (Compulsory Purchase Orders) are used in Spring/Summer 2005

The first demolition work to take place in Hyndburn was this week, when part of the former Rutland Street garage was levelled off, whilst locals watched! This kicked off what is to be referred to as Project Phoenix. All materials knocked down will be re-used.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-08-2004, 14:14   #2
God Member

Re: Rutland Street/Blackburn road area

Congratulations to HBC on their Orwellian "Newspeak".....they launch a scheme involving demolition & they call it "Elevate"......what awill to call a scheme involving building things.."Flatten?"
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 15:06   #3

By the time the council gets round to negotiating with anybody it will be Summer 2005 - judging from the tardiness of their reply to Kipax (3 and a half weeks and counting.....)!

Hopefully this will brighten that area up a bit as at the moment (and for many years now) it is slumlike? Surely they aren't the only pre-1919 terraced houses in Accrington though?!
Old 13-08-2004, 21:54   #4

Lets face it, the area could do with a total rebuild. I know a few houses are well looked after but on the whole its a shambles. Not exactly the impression you want to give to visitors to the town when they first arrive. I would turn round and drive straight back out!

Perran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 22:46   #5
Resident Waffler

My house is pre 1919 but it isn't in such a state as this lot. How come there's such a difference? How did that area of town become so run-down?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 23:01   #6
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
My house is pre 1919 but it isn't in such a state as this lot. How come there's such a difference? How did that area of town become so run-down?
I have an opinion on why this area has gone downhill or at least contributed to the problem but unfortunately I would have to use the banned word so I am unable to add to this thread, call me what you want, racist or whatever but you know I could be right on this one ???

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 00:32   #7

is that the church end of blackburn road? I dont remember
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 05:45   #8

Quote: All materials knocked down will be re-used.

What as? Aggregate? Foundation ballast?

Mo: Yes its before you get to Lonsdale Street (Antley) in the direction of Church - left hand side!

Last edited by Darby; 02-09-2004 at 05:46.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 06:52   #9
Resident Waffler

Most of Blackburn Road between Church and town centre is equally grim.

Old 02-09-2004, 10:23   #10
God Member

Quote:
Quote:
Most of Blackburn Road between Church and town centre is equally grim.
I read somewhere, earlier this week, can't think where though: "People create slums, they don't create themselves." Draw your own conclusions as to the decline of this area of town.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 10:36   #11
Resident Waffler

At one time there were a couple of empty houses just down the road from me and they made the place look a total eyesore. One was "boarded up" with a sheet of thick cardboard and needless to say all and sundry broke in, getting up to goodness knows what.

More recently the (rented) house next door had tenants who did a very interesting make-over - all of which reflects on the value of the surrounding area.

Old 02-09-2004, 12:39   #12
Resting in peace

They may be old houses, but surely they were as well built as many others in the town which are still habitable and useful. It is a great shame to the council if they have been allowed to become derelict - it takes time for a well-built house to get to that stage. What will they replace them with? - bog standard boxes, built of brick, so that you could be anywhere in England? We need to replace old housing stock with new, yes, but they must be kept in character. There is some wonderful property along Blackburn Road, between Sacred Heart as was and the town centre, some good traditional, and very large, houses.

My Great Aunt Agnes lived in Rutland Street, the first house she ever had with electric light. She didn't trust it though, she used to say that if the gas leaked you could smell it, but the electricity could be all over the house before you knew!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..