Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2009, 19:27   #1
Senior Member+

Sad news

I see that Harry Patch the first world war veteran sadly died today aged 111.

It was only last week of course that Henry Alllingham died.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-07-2009, 19:41   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Sad news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I see that Harry Patch the first world war veteran sadly died today aged 111.

It was only last week of course that Henry Alllingham died.
Is that the last Bernard ? Just heard a little that he refused to talk about his time in the trenches, but then did make some record later ... will be interesting to read.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 19:56   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Is that the last Bernard ? Just heard a little that he refused to talk about his time in the trenches, but then did make some record later ... will be interesting to read.
He was the last first world war veteran who was in the trenches.He talked about the trenches later in his life. But I believe it was only after he turned 100.

I think I'm right in saying that there's only one British first world war veteran left, and he lives in Australia aged 108. He was in the navy
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 05:02   #4
God Member

think we discussed this in an earlier thread a couple of years back (over to you MargaretR/Garinda )
About how/if/when the Govt. would go 'overboard' in 'celebrating' this passing , seem to remember reading that both France and Australia made a big deal (State funerals) for their last surviving veterans from WW1 , glad to see/read that there are no such things planed in the UK since in my mind the present Govt. would only use it for political spin , giving Tony Blair the chance to weep crocodile tears about the need for "European Unity" ...

Just let the old guy go, in the words of General MacArthur ..... " And like the old soldier of that ballad, I now close my military career and just fade away, an old soldier who tried to do his duty as God gave him the light to see that duty. Good Bye "
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 10:32   #5
Resting in Peace

That last of a great generation RIP
Old 26-07-2009, 10:47   #6
God Member

RIP We owe you big time
Old 27-07-2009, 21:40   #7
Super Moderator

He was mentioned on News at Ten just now as the last survivor of the trenches, leading into a 5-minute feature on the Pals brigades and the Accrington Pals in particular. They interviewed a couple of local people and showed the war memorial in Oakhill Park.
Old 27-07-2009, 22:05   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Yes Katy.
He was the last British Tommy from the first World War.
He refused to speak of those events until he was 100,
none of his family knew what he'd gone thro all those years ago. He has now gone to join the rest of his Lewis Gun team.
Over the years I met many surivors of the first World War, and they were quite open with me about their experiences, but not if one of their relatives were present.

Quite a lot of todays generation have'nt the slightest inkling of what things were like in those days, I doubt if many of them could get thro basic training of WWI, never mind actually having to fight.
The men of today in Her majesties forces are a different breed than your average young yob.

Bring back military service at 18, as it used to be. I went even though I had trade exempton.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 27-07-2009 at 22:15.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 22:21   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Yes Katy.
He was the last British Tommy from the first World War.
He refused to speak of those events until he was 100,
none of his family knew what he'd gone thro all those years ago. He has now gone to join the rest of his Lewis Gun team.
Over the years I met many surivors of the first World War, and they were quite open with me about their experiences, but not if one of their relatives were present.

Quite a lot of todays generation have'nt the slightest inkling of what things were like in those days, I doubt if many of them could get thro basic training of WWI, never mind actually having to fight.
The men of today in Her majesties forces are a different breed than you average young yob.

Bring back military service at 18, as it used to be. I went even though I had trade exempton.

Retlaw.
I accept the plight of the servicemen in WWI but I do not read much about the servicemen who perished in WWII. The Germans where responsible for both. I lost My Father and his brother in WWII and dont see any memorials to them in Blackburn, they were both born and bread in Blackburn.
The only recognition of their service and rememberance is on the War Graves Commission site but nothing in their hometown, which is disgrace.
My Grandmother had two sons and lost them both.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 23:05   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I accept the plight of the servicemen in WWI but I do not read much about the servicemen who perished in WWII. The Germans where responsible for both. I lost My Father and his brother in WWII and dont see any memorials to them in Blackburn, they were both born and bread in Blackburn.
The only recognition of their service and rememberance is on the War Graves Commission site but nothing in their hometown, which is disgrace.
My Grandmother had two sons and lost them both.
Accrington has a WW2 memorial facing the WWI, quite a lot of towns and villages did nothing about WW2, I have seen some with Korea and Falklands noted.
Below is all I can find for Blackburn re WW2. It was in a Blackburn Church now gone.

Retlaw.

From an old postcard
PS
Sorry I've just managed to read some of the inscripton and its for WWI
Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 27-07-2009 at 23:12.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 23:12   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Accrington has a WW2 memorial facing the WWI, quite a lot of towns and villages did nothing about WW2, I have seen some with Korea and Falklands noted.
Below is all I can find for Blackburn re WW2. It was in a Blackburn Church now gone.

Retlaw.

From an old postcard
Here is the first one:CWGC :: Certificate

Old 27-07-2009, 23:15   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

am not sure about having a state funeral fer mr patch what little i know of him,didn't strike me as his bag at all. only assumption of course, even towards the end he seemed more concerned about his lost comrades to me, i can sympathise with families who lost men in all wars, my lass being one herself, but he seemed a top geezer n hope he's now at peace.
Old 27-07-2009, 23:19   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Here is the first one:CWGC :: Certificate
Here is the second one.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/certifica...sualty=2162374

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..