Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Is Same Sex Marriage a step to far?
Agree? 11 28.21%
Disagree? 7 17.95%
Live and let live? 8 20.51%
Stick to Civil Partnerships? 14 35.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-03-2012, 21:29   #136
God Member

Re: Same Sex Marriages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
One of the nastiest and most hateful aspects of modern society is institutionalised homophobia.

What gives any individual the right to say "Because of my narrow minded and bigoted opinions, you should not be able to live a fulfilled and happy life with your chosen partner'?

Equality is the aim of any civilised society, so if marriage is ok for one couple, its ok for ANY couple.
This is the first time I've been thru this thread in detail ... and I fully agree with what you say .... it's no longer an issue in Canada; it's a Charter of Rights and Freedoms thing. And on the upside is the increase in tourism. Gay couples, usually with lotsa bucks, come to Canada to get married. Bonus.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-03-2012, 06:17   #137
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
That'd be telling.
That's what tends to happen, on public forums such as this.

People share what they think.

Hopefully.

It helps to understand what others think, if they don't contradict themselves.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 08:35   #138
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
.....One thing is clear though: religion (unless you are a muslim) seems to play a much lesser part in society than it ever did in my formative years.....
You suggest that only Muslim people are religious in today's society.
I know many people who are religious in several faiths and I would say that religion plays a very important part in their lives.

I do wonder if the watering down of Christian beliefs by both the church and government is having a direct impact on our society.
Old 23-03-2012, 08:39   #139
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That's what tends to happen, on public forums such as this.

People share what they think.

Hopefully.

It helps to understand what others think, if they don't contradict themselves.
I think you are more likely to find out what people really think by looking at the results of an anonymous poll like this one instead of asking people to write what they think. I believe that many people wont say what they feel because they don't want to be questioned why by other members.

You have a very strong character and are not afraid to explain or talk about your opinions, not everyone is like that and would rather vote but say nothing for fear of ridicule.
Old 23-03-2012, 09:04   #140
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think you are more likely to find out what people really think by looking at the results of an anonymous poll like this one instead of asking people to write what they think. I believe that many people wont say what they feel because they don't want to be questioned why by other members.

You have a very strong character and are not afraid to explain or talk about your opinions, not everyone is like that and would rather vote but say nothing for fear of ridicule.

As I said at the begining of the thread, the poll options aren't very clear, and therefore don't give an accurate picture of people's views on this issue.

As witnessed by Flashy, saying she ticked the wrong option.

Would have been much more interesting if it'd had been a yes/no poll, asking if people agreed with the government's plan to introduce same sex marriage.

Old 23-03-2012, 09:12   #141
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Totally disagree.

A forum is an even playing field.

Everyone's voice is equal.

'If' people feel the need to air their thoughts in public, they are perfectly free to do so.

It doesn't matter one iota if people agree, or disagree with them.

No one is forced to defend anything they've posted on here, if they don't want to.

If I believe in something, I'll say it.

That doesn't make me 'strong'.

Just someone who knows my own mind.

Much like everyone else on here.

Old 23-03-2012, 10:16   #142
Give, give, give member

Quote:
...for fear of ridicule.
That's only possible, when what someone has posted is ridiculous.

As in this case.

Old 23-03-2012, 12:28   #143
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
No one is forced to defend anything they've posted on here, if they don't want to.
That is true, if someone asks me a question and I don't wish to answer it again I will ignore it.

We do have some members though who repeated ask members the same question over and over again if they don't answer it the first time. From PM's I have received some members find this quite aggressive and it puts them replying to some threads.
Old 23-03-2012, 13:04   #144
Senior Member+

Quote:
That is true, if someone asks me a question and I don't wish to answer it again I will ignore it.

We do have some members though who repeated ask members the same question over and over again if they don't answer it the first time. From PM's I have received some members find this quite aggressive and it puts them replying to some threads.
I have had that from a member who is currently using a Boy George Avatar - who aggressively repeated the same questions! And wasn't happy that I didn't answer as fast as requested!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 14:37   #145
Give, give, give member

Quote:

If people choose to air their views publicly, as we agree, no one is forced to defend those views.

However, if that choice is taken, to publicly state an opinion, people really can't be too mard about it, if others choose to give a counterview.

I feel quite sorry for those people, who feel threatened if their opinion is questioned.

I'm glad I don't know anyone like that.

Must make conversations very dull.

'Are we staying for another pint?'

'I feel threatened by that question.'

'I'll post my view anonymously, in the ballot box on the bar.'

'You see, I'm as weak as half o'bitter shandy.'

Old 23-03-2012, 14:43   #146
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Besides, you never really hear a peep out of the mard arses, if they happen to agree with you.

Being weak, they only start getting all teary, when what they've said doesn't stand up to too much scrutiny.

Crying foul is but a comfort blanket, for the weak, and those who are prone to losing.

Bless 'em.

Old 23-03-2012, 14:52   #147
I am Banned

Just read some of this thread, where's the world heading, before long you'll have farmers wanting to marry their favourite bull, or zoo keepers wanting to marry their favourite gorilla.
Seems like minorities have more sway, & influence than the majority's
Is there any need for them to push their abnormalities in our faces.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 14:59   #148
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I have had that from a member who is currently using a Boy George Avatar - who aggressively repeated the same questions! And wasn't happy that I didn't answer as fast as requested!

If you have a particular problem with a member/poster, you can always press the REPORT button and the mods will deal with it.
The report button is the triangle with the exclamation mark in it(just in case you didn't know).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 15:00   #149
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Seems like minorities have more sway, & influence than the majority's.
It does seem odd, that the Prime Minister, and the Consevative led coalition, are so keen to push this legislation through.

Can't see it being much of a vote winner.

Still, I suppose an elected minority, acting for the majority, is what passes for democracy.

Old 23-03-2012, 15:04   #150
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Just read some of this thread, where's the world heading, before long you'll have farmers wanting to marry their favourite bull, or zoo keepers wanting to marry their favourite gorilla.
Seems like minorities have more sway, & influence than the majority's
Is there any need for them to push their abnormalities in our faces.
Retlaw
Since when does being in a minority make you "abnormal" -bad choice of word.
It's the differences that make good the variety that is humankind -thank goodness we arent all the same -twould be a very boring world indeed.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..